Topic: If you won vBulletin right now, would you stop using punBB?

That is the question.

I think I would.

2 (edited by eric235u 2007-10-30 12:22)

Re: If you won vBulletin right now, would you stop using punBB?

i was looking at the vbulletin features http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php and it seems pretty cool.  i personally was attracted to punbb for different reasons.  it's lightweight, well written and (most importantly) free.  and i don't mean free to download i mean really free.  here's some more information if you're interested.  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html  i personally can make any feature i desire for punbb.  i also like the 'small' community.  you get to know the people involved and develop confidence (or not) in their ability.  from my experience with other software projects i think we're very lucky to have the devs on this project.  they seem to work and communicate well.

also, i would like to say that your original posting is antagonistic and without qualification is useless.  why would you stop using punbb?

Personally I think they have 2 different markets... Obviously not all.

Why do people wanna waste money?

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

I have both, and I wouldn't stop using PunBB where I use it, and as my main forum, my first choice.

I don't really understand the question. If PunBB was the most appropriate for my purposes thats what I would use. If vBulletin was the most appropriate I would buy a licence.

7 (edited by pedrotuga 2007-10-30 13:25)

In one of my forums I would because i believe it comes with good anti-spam solutions out of the box.
But i would have to spend the money in higher server specs so...

It has a lot of other cool features too, some of them really practical, but i still prefer punbb. Punbb is actually more suited for handle big sites.

The problem with punbb now is that it doesn't support other plugins besides the administration ones. I blieve that, a while after 1.3 arrival, there will be many available plugins for punbb and that they will be way more popular than they are now. I strongly believe punbb can become as powerful as vb.

aahh... damit! cant wait.

PunBB > vB.

I have a not-very-legal copy of vB running locally, just to try it out. Takes about 10MB of DB space just for the initial setup, is slow even on a local webserver and the admin panel is hell to get around.

PunBB with a couple of mods (and definately 1.3) easily beats vB in usability and speed.

PunBB is better than any board i'd say.. It's easier to fit into a site.
One that doesn't understand so much around php will easier understand PunBB than vB due to the heavy coding that vB has..

Hell no. I use PunBB for the simple fact that it starts as a bare bones system and you have to explicitly add what bits you require. I really dislike most other forum softwares extra features, and having to strip software is a damned sight harder than adding functionality to PunBB.

Meowmeow wrote:

Why do people wanna waste money?

I'm saying, if you won it for free.

i, like many others, think that they both have there place. i own a vB license and run a PunBB board. in fact i switched the vB board TO PunBB. wink

to answer your question, i could find a use for it but i'm not going to switch my PunBB board to it.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

I prefer using money to build "MeowBB" more than buying the license of vBB.

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

MattF wrote:

Hell no. I use PunBB for the simple fact that it starts as a bare bones system and you have to explicitly add what bits you require. I really dislike most other forum softwares extra features, and having to strip software is a damned sight harder than adding functionality to PunBB.

I have to agree with MattF here. This is what drew me to punBB. It is amazing what you can do with it from just the bare bones. I have dealt with quite a few CMS's and Forums but there is just something about punBB that keeps me going. I think it is safe to say that Ia m a bit obsessed with mod it. big_smile My personal opinion is this. There isn't any other script out there better than it.

Bingiman.

15 (edited by pedrotuga 2007-10-30 19:58)

How do vb modules work?
xml code overlay, hooks? manual code hacking?
do they get stored on the db, or in a text file?