Re: phpBB3 has been released on 13 Dec. How's PunBB 1.3?

MattF wrote:

Why? I've still not seen anything mentioned about 1.3 which has given me the slightest inclination to consider updating to it when it does finally arrive.

Do you see yourself writing extensions for it?

MattF wrote:
Meowmeow wrote:

I think PunBB 1.3 is near Beta now. wink

Alpha precedes Beta.

Now PunBB 1.3 is in Alpha.

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

MattF wrote:
FSX wrote:

1.2 is good too, not as good as 1.3.

Why? I've still not seen anything mentioned about 1.3 which has given me the slightest inclination to consider updating to it when it does finally arrive.

That's your prerogative, but I'm pretty sure you are (or will be, once everyone realize what's 1.3) a small minority.

Myself, there are several key advances I really looking forward too:

- MySQL fulltext search (i.e. no more slow, huge, and more important bugged search system)
- native and full utf-8 support
- clean URL
- granular ATOM feed
- extension system (i.e. modding without altering the core source), with multigroup capability being the front runner

Meowmeow wrote:
MattF wrote:
Meowmeow wrote:

Alpha precedes Beta.

I'd class it more as current. big_smile Alpha or Beta generally denotes a public testing release. smile

30 (edited by MattF 2007-12-16 10:34)

Jérémie wrote:

Myself, there are several key advances I really looking forward too:

- MySQL fulltext search (i.e. no more slow, huge, and more important bugged search system)
- native and full utf-8 support
- clean URL
- granular ATOM feed
- extension system (i.e. modding without altering the core source), with multigroup capability being the front runner

The search system could be modded on 1.2.* if it was a problem personally. smile By fulltext, I'm assuming you mean searching for the entire phrase entered rather than splitting the words and searching?

Utf-8 I already have, so that ain't on my list of concerns. smile

Atom feed I already have, and it works perfectly well for me. smile I never wanted granularity down to individual topic level, which is why I never wrote that in. Forums/categories and site are ample. If, however, I ever changed my mind, It'd be a doddle to add that functionality to what I already have.

Clean URI, I personally have no use, need nor want for. Btw, doesn't that involve using httpd rewrite rules too, or is the method totally altered in 1.3?

Extension system. Again, couldn't really say as I'm yearning for it. It still has to be written, so it is just an alternative, (and somewhat more practical for someone who doesn't want to do any coding), method.

Honestly, there's nothing there whatsoever that rocks my boat. big_smile I'm not saying it's not better, btw, merely that I don't class anything in it as a personal want.

Meowmeow wrote:
MattF wrote:
Meowmeow wrote:

Alpha precedes Beta.

No it isn't. It's still in development, and you can check it out from SVN. That's all.

Ok, "pre-alpha".

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

MattF wrote:

The search system could be modded on 1.2.* if it was a problem personally. smile

Well, anything can be modded. Heck, one can even rewrite the full PunBB's code... but if you want to use it, well a lot of people don't have the time and/or the skill to do it well (meaning neat, secure, and then to update to new PunBB version by hand since after some serious rewrite, even the patch util can get lost).

By fulltext, I'm assuming you mean searching for the entire phrase entered rather than splitting the words and searching?

I mean: faster (reallly faster), consuming less server resources, consuming much less database size, with built in ranking system; and more important than everything without the English-centric bug on apostrophe.

Utf-8 I already have, so that ain't on my list of concerns. smile

I do too, but I'm more and more annoyed by people not having it, and having serious charset issue because of that. Global utf-8 is going to be much quieter.

Atom feed I already have, and it works perfectly well for me. smile I never wanted granularity down to individual topic level, which is why I never wrote that in. Forums/categories and site are ample. If, however, I ever changed my mind, It'd be a doddle to add that functionality to what I already have.

Well, I like having people writing and full proof testing something for me. Maybe a 1.2 mod add atom feature, but is the mod author going to patch my installed forums to keep them up to date? smile

Granularity is not a major thing by far, but when one needs it, it's quite nice.

Clean URI, I personally have no use, need nor want for. Btw, doesn't that involve using httpd rewrite rules too, or is the method totally altered in 1.3?

I have use for it, and even if vanilla PunBB is already incredibly well indexed by search bots (and better than any other forum software out there), it will be a nice addition.

And yup of course, it uses Apache's rewrite.

Extension system. Again, couldn't really say as I'm yearning for it. It still has to be written, so it is just an alternative, (and somewhat more practical for someone who doesn't want to do any coding), method.

Extension is really the major one... anything someone wants, in time, in may be able to get it without screwing the core code. Since some mod are really, really ugly, and since security (read: updates) is a major concern to most forums, it's a key feature for a lot of people in my opinion.

Much simpler to install, uninstall, track, edit, at the very very least.

And of course, no more arguing about ?this new incredible feature we all absolutely must have in PunBB? (such as private messaging, aka the worst idea ever).

Honestly, there's nothing there whatsoever that rocks my boat. big_smile I'm not saying it's not better, btw, merely that I don't class anything in it as a personal want.

That's good for you, it means PunBB 1.2 is already perfect smile

Well, I like having people writing and full proof testing something for me. Maybe a 1.2 mod add atom feature, but is the mod author going to patch my installed forums to keep them up to date? smile

Granularity is not a major thing by far, but when one needs it, it's quite nice.

If you want the Atom generator, I can pop it online for you. smile I might even consider adding topic support. big_smile This is a link to the site feed on the test forum, if you want to have a peek and see if it's any good for your purposes:

http://forums.bauchan.org/testforum/mod-addons/atom.xml

Extension is really the major one... anything someone wants, in time, in may be able to get it without screwing the core code. Since some mod are really, really ugly, and since security (read: updates) is a major concern to most forums, it's a key feature for a lot of people in my opinion.

I can see your point on that one. Especially where the security/bugs side of things is concerned. There are some debatable mods out there, which whilst they work in a fashion, it is in a fashion.

That's good for you, it means PunBB 1.2 is already perfect smile

Indeed. smile Must admit though, perfection has involved more hours of editing and refining than I dare tally. big_smile

PunBB 1.2 isn't perfect to other languages. The interface in ACP can be only in English.

punbb 1.2 is great, but punbb 1.3 has easier module install/upgrade, more features and hey, it has a new version number too smile

iatbm wrote:

What's wrong with 1.2.16 ? wink

http://tinymailto.com/oliversl <-- my email after a captcha

oliversl wrote:

punbb 1.2 is great, but punbb 1.3 has easier module install/upgrade, more features and hey, it has a new version number too smile

iatbm wrote:

What's wrong with 1.2.16 ? wink

Personally i feel that if you cant (no saying you) be bothered to simply manually upgrade some parts of the forum, then its not going to be that grate..

What you put into the forum and site, you will get back! If you want a good usefully site, you will work for it!

i have found punbb to be amazing, I'm coding and developing in punbb, and for a 15 year old, that's good.

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Meowmeow wrote:

PunBB 1.2 isn't perfect to other languages. The interface in ACP can be only in English.

Mine is in French... That's just because the language pack you use is not complete

No, that's because you're using the French version.

indeed wich means the ACP can be in other languages than English, it just needs to be translated

41 (edited by CodeXP 2007-12-17 19:58)

yemgi wrote:

indeed wich means the ACP can be in other languages than English, it just needs to be translated

Not really, as you can't just use a language pack to get the ACP in your preferred language, no matter how well translated it is. Why? Because a lot of the language strings are hard-coded into PunBB's source code.

The most important points for me in 1.3 is native utf8 support, a *proper* way to track read/unread topics (damn that timeout system in 1.2!) and extensions. Sure I can add all that using mods for 1.2, but at what price? There's a limit to how much time I can spend on keeping things updated, so being able to upgrade to a new minor version without risking breaking any of my mods would be really nice smile

CodeXP wrote:

a *proper* way to track read/unread topics (damn that timeout system in 1.2!)

Yes! I can't believe I forgot that one...

Meowmeow wrote:

Ok, "pre-alpha".

Some versioning schemes would call that "development".