Topic: MySQL version poll

We're considering dropping support for MySQL 4.0 and older in PunBB 1.3. The reason we're considering this is that proper character set support was not added until 4.1. However, before we make any such decisions, we need to know what you guys think about it. Or rather, which version of MySQL you're using on your production server (web host, dedicated etc).

You can check your MySQL version by going to the admin interface start page and looking under "Database" at the bottom of the page. We would appreciate if you could just check your forums and copy/paste the version number in this topic.

Cheers,
Rickard

Edit: Please note that we're not particularly interested in which version you use for development smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: MySQL version poll

MySQL client version: 5.0.22

MySQL client version: 4.1.22 (applies to more than one installation)

MySQL 4.1.9-max (via easyphp 1.8)

my mind is on a permanent tangent
byUsers forum

Server version: 4.1.22-standard
MySQL client version: 4.1.21

MySQL 4.1.22-standard

Ben

MySQL 4.1.22-standard-log

mysql-5.1.22 (not production env ofc)

MySQL 5.0.45

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.22

5.0.24a-standard-log

MySQL 5.0.41-community-nt

I'm using wos portable.

MySQL 4.1.22
MySQL 4.1.20

Looking at the posts above me, it seems it'll be safe to drop 4.0 and lower smile

MySQL 5.0.18

MySQL 5.0.44

11 (edited by Utchin 2008-01-18 21:15)

MySQL 5.0.22

(one of my hosts is using 4.1.22-standard but am going to MAKE them upgrade )

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

MySQL 5.0.27-standard

Mostly 5.0.xs - one or two 4.1.x versions (but specifically 4.1 rather than 4.0 to get the whole utf-8 stack right) - and one 3.x which we don't speak of. tongue

All.. MySQL 5.0.27

MySQL version    5.0.45-community

16 (edited by Jérémie 2008-01-19 01:10)

Rickard wrote:

We're considering dropping support for MySQL 4.0 and older in PunBB 1.3. The reason we're considering this is that proper character set support was not added until 4.1.

MySQL < 4.1 can handle utf-8 for storage, even if it doesn't know what it is. However, since every host or server I use has at least a 4.1, personally, I don't care :-p

We would appreciate if you could just check your forums and copy/paste the version number in this topic.

- 5.0.32-Debian_7etch4-log Debian etch distribution
- 5.0.44-log

Hey, I found an old plan using 4.0.25-standard-log ! However, since migrating to 5.0.44 is a one-click step, doesn't matter smile

Edit: minor FYI, the #1 host in France provide 5.0.44 with every shared plan, and 4.1 or 5.0. branches for easy (like plesk or so) dedicated server.

17 (edited by quaker 2008-01-19 01:08)

mine sql is

MySQL 5.0.45

and my other site is

MySQL 4.0.27

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Jérémie wrote:
Rickard wrote:

We're considering dropping support for MySQL 4.0 and older in PunBB 1.3. The reason we're considering this is that proper character set support was not added until 4.1.

MySQL < 4.1 can handle utf-8 for storage, even if it doesn't know what it is. However, since every host or server I use has at least a 4.1, personally, I don't care :-p

Yeah, we've had this discussion before. However, it also means that things like search don't work properly for Russian characters, for example.

quaker: Might I ask what hosting company is providing you with 4.0.27?

On a related note, I just went to mysql.com and they don't even provide links for 4.0 downloads in their download archive anymore.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

MySQL 4.1.22-standard

OnyxTalk.com - Peer to Peer Support & Discussion

MySQL 5.0.51-community

22 (edited by pheldens 2008-01-20 11:37)

5.0 here, your reasons sound good, utf8 is the futare (and should be the present!;))

Based on the replies so far:

5.1: 3.6%
5.0: 60.7%
4.1: 32.1%
4.0: 3.6%

My host is running MySQL 5.0.24.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

4.0.27-standard

-Master Hob Bramble of Willowbottom

Pardon me, good sir, but it appears that your diving apparatus has a leak.
Perpetual Thursday | Alternative-Internet.com | hobbramble.deviantart.com