1 (edited by kryptronic 2008-01-25 22:11)

Topic: Special permissions for index vs. read

I have a need to:

(1) Disable the ability for guests to read all forums.

(2) Show all forums in the forum index to guests that members can read.

I have several forums that are hidden and available only for moderators and admins, so a blanket 'show all forums in the index' hack won't work.  I really need to make sure guests can't read any forums, but can still view all the same forums the members can see on the index.  Any advise?  I searched around for about an hour here and couldn't find anything.

We've been using PunBB for about 18 months now and love it.  Previously we used DCForum2000 and Invision PowerBoard.  Both pale in comparison to PunBB - I love the concept - clean and mean.  We use PunBB here:

http://forum.kryptronic.com/

It's mainly used to provide support for ClickCartPro shopping cart software, for which I'm the lead developer.  Thanks for your help.

Re: Special permissions for index vs. read

Mmm, then you probably need to add a new column to forum_perms (show_on_index) and change admin_forums.php so that the permission is used properly. Then, when all your forums are set up properly, you can change the index query to use your new column instead of the read_forum column.

Thank you.  I'll try this over the weekend.  When you say:

Then, when all your forums are set up properly, you can change the index query to use your new column instead of the read_forum column.

Where do I find that?  Sorry - I haven't dug through your code any more than to install a few published mods.

index.php?

A couple of minor changes to index.php to remove the links from the forum names and last post accomplishes this but doesn't prevent someone from going directly to a forum with a crafted URL.  For the casual guest it is enough though.