Topic: I lost my "admin" password.

OK so I have a punbb forum account called "site admin" but I can't login because I've forgotten my password and I don't even remember what email address I used with that account so I can't retrieve the password. Even worse is that I've forgotten my CPanel password too!!
Does anyone know a way to retrieve the above info?
Thanks
Mark

Re: I lost my "admin" password.

Assuming you are the genuine owner/admin of that account/domain, contacting your host is your best course of action.

thanks. Yes I've just emailed my host but i didn't think they would have access to my punbb password. They can probably help me with the cpanel password  but I dont know how that would help me  retrieve my punbb admin password

Further comments appreciated

You can set the password column in the database to any value you want. Set it to an md5 hash of the password you want and you'll be fine.

I guess i can do that through the cpanel right? Is it easy? md5 hash? What does that mean please.
thanks for the help so far

6 (edited by lie2815 2008-01-26 10:08)

md5 is an encryption algorithm. thats how passwords are stored in the database.
you can create it via an php script like the following:

<?php
echo md5('mypassword');
?>

This will output the md5 hash you want (replace 'mypassword' with the password you want...

FluxBB - v1.4.8

I've tested changing a forum user password from within the phpmyadmin section within cpanel but it didn't work. I was able to successfully edit the username but when i changed the password to "password" i stlil couldn't use this new password to login.

What steps am I missing out on please?
is it because it needs encrypting. I didn't understand how to use the code the lie2815 quoted.

I'm nearly there now. thanks for any further help

send me the password you want by email. ill send the hash back to you. then you can change it via the forum interface

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Yes it needs encryption.. md5..

And you use the code lie2815 posted in a .php file.

If you want the md5 code for "password" its this:

098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6

Just replace that with what you have now and login with "password" smile

Thanks PhaxeNor
I felt sure that would work but it hasn't worked.
I entered the above md5 code as the password in phpmyadmin and then tried to login using the correct username and "password" as the password. But it still told me I had used the wrong password. Any clues?

If it's any use all the other md5 codes for the other usernames were about 10 characters longer than the one you gave me.
Thanks for this help.

That's because they used a sha1 hash. However, PunBB's login.php correctly deals with converting md5 to sha1

I tried to enter the md5 code as the password at login.php but I still got an incorrect password message.
Any more clues?
cheers
Mark

No, you need to enter the actual password, not the md5 hash.

5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99

That is the correct md5 for "password" (without "s). The hash given to you before was the md5 of "test" (again, no "s)

ok run punbb locally example localhost

setup a admin and password account

export the admin account via db to the website db

that should do it
make sure you have typed in the same admin name...

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!