1 (edited by qubertman 2008-02-12 16:39)

Topic: Feature or Extension: Mass unsubscribing from Your Subscriptions page

To be able to mass unsubscribe from Your Subscriptions page rather than going to each topic to unsubscribe. Thanks.

Or is this an extension?

Re: Feature or Extension: Mass unsubscribing from Your Subscriptions page

I personally think it'd be better as an extension; I'm not sure how many people would need such a feature.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

3 (edited by MattF 2008-02-13 01:14)

That's one of thse rare things I would have thought would have been better as a generic feature, just due to the simple fact the the subscription system itself is part of the base system. A mass deselection does seem a worthwhile consideration, in my humble opinion. smile

Except that there's really no place where you view the subscriptions that it would make sense to do this.

5 (edited by qubertman 2008-02-13 01:30)

I can see adding another column with checkboxes similar to Administration > Users > User search results with an Unsubscribe button at the bottom.

Adding it where?

On this page: search-subscriptions.html where it displays all your subscriptions. Then add a fifth column with a header Select. This column will have a checkbox for each subscription and an Unsubscribe button at the bottom.

And that's why it's best suited for an extension: search.php is for searching, not for mass-unsubscribing from topics. All that would do is complicate the code in search.php more wink

Smartys wrote:

Except that there's really no place where you view the subscriptions that it would make sense to do this.

You wouldn't necessarily wish to view the subscriptions however. Something along a simple 'unsubscribe from all subscribed topics' checkbox somewhere in the profile pages. If people want to do a mass desub they can, or they can use the standard method if not.

Matt: I thought about that, but it feels completely unnatural to me. The way to do it (IMO) really is the checkboxes, but they're not a feature we're likely to add to the core for reasons of complexity mentioned above.

Thinking about it, I would actually agree that it probably would be better in an extension. The chances of someone being happy with a mass unsubscribe option would be slim, so they'd probably end up installing an extension to have finer control anyhow, which would pretty much make the mass unsubscribe option needless. And as you mention, adding the extra code to search.php isn't ideal for a default setup.