1 (edited by NiCk Newman 2008-03-18 00:45)

Topic: why isn't punbb not popular?

it's pretty freaking sad really.. you can edit this puppy to make it look AWESOME in real forum styles.. and it's the fastest forum script ever in the world (seriously) with all it's features it's #1...

i just cant believe this site doesnt have 0400423434334 online users like phpbb/vbulletin when this forum is like literally 4 times faster then those forums COMBINE. LOL

well anyways PUNBB 4'LIFE! smile im editing my forum atm smile it's looking SO NICE!

Re: why isn't punbb not popular?

It depends on what you mean by popular wink
PunBB isn't meant to appeal to everyone. It's meant to provide a solid, fast base forum on which people can choose to add more features. Not everyone likes that. Many people would rather have more features if the tradeoff is some speed.
However, PunBB is used in quite a few places. You don't have to have 1000 guests online at a time to be "popular" tongue

And I think you meant to say "why isn't punbb popular" or "why is punbb not popular": the double negative threw me for a second wink

Smartys wrote:

It depends on what you mean by popular wink
PunBB isn't meant to appeal to everyone. It's meant to provide a solid, fast base forum on which people can choose to add more features. Not everyone likes that. Many people would rather have more features if the tradeoff is some speed.
However, PunBB is used in quite a few places. You don't have to have 1000 guests online at a time to be "popular" tongue

And I think you meant to say "why isn't punbb popular" or "why is punbb not popular": the double negative threw me for a second wink

LOL SMARTYS I saw that after I made the post hehe MY Mom was looking over my shoulder and she saw that too, ROFL.

i got owned tongue

Yea man anyway This is fastest forums ever, and man once i start learning php it's going to be so fun smile I can install some mod's that wont slow down forum bcz they arn't commercially use and quick easy 1's that i might release in like couple of years, lol once i start making mods

big_smile

Thanks

yes, Correct.. punBB is really fastest..  & Why u think that it is really popular.. Actually other BB softwares like phpbb/vbulletin may have got initial popularity but punBB is  easy to maintain & installs in only some quick steps & this is the thing that will make it popular in coming time.. U know I was really struggling to install my own BB & I tried to install phpbb etc. , But that was so complecated & there was no such support (as we get here in punBB) & so i was loosing my hope to fullfill my desire to set my own bulletin board & one day my one friend told me about punBB (This proves that punBB is gaining popularity ) & I came here & Now, My forum is installed & functional on my interanet site

Because most people don't care about the benefits of using PunBB, and instead "needs" PM, polls, multiple user groups, and don't want the hassle of modding them in place.

intedinmamma wrote:

Because most people don't care about the benefits of using PunBB, and instead "needs" PM, polls, multiple user groups, and don't want the hassle of modding them in place.

yeah but that also slows down sites

7 (edited by axa 2008-03-20 01:33)

To continue the discussion of punbb compared to others, I too am a huge disciple of punbb - having discovered it when I was looking for a forum solution for my neighborhood website that I maintain for the fun of it.

I have a personal website (to share news and pictures of my kids with my parents who live in another country) which runs entirely on PHPBBFM, or Fully Modded PHP. the sad thing about it is the much embattled "owner" of the heavily modded board has a problem. His host closed up shop and with it took his website offline. Of course (predictably) there were no backups, so the support site, for what it was worth, has disappeared from http://phpbbfm.net

Forum membership and support were paid for, so there are a lot of us out there who are now not getting the support and product we paid for. It seemed though for a while  that support and subscription for the product was dwindling due to many reasons - the installation with it's many mods simply grew too big, slow, and resource hungry. At times too, support on the site was non-existent, and requests for help were ignored, complaints deleted...the list goes on.

Further, when logging into my admin panel for my site, I have to wait for an eternity while the software tries in vain to check the software version against a non-existent server.

I keep using the forum software out of posterity I guess, but punbb really gets my vote. Preaching to the choir though, right ?

Oh, and trying to interpret this thread's title has given me a headache.

Landen Meadows Residents Forum - http://www.landenmeadows.net

8 (edited by NiCk Newman 2008-03-20 01:53)

LOL Yea axa tongue MY bad on the title tongue

hehe join my forums? i'll join urs?

EDIT: doesnt it seem like your forum is way faster then mine?
WTF, lol this was my first time last week to EVER buy hosting bcz i used to host of my windows xp computer @ home, lol but i finally bought hosting and now it's now as fast as urs hmm wtf tongue

oh well xD i'll sign UP

ugh oh.. your registration asks me 4 a 5digit pin code? xD of your area? i dont know, lol

NiCk Newman wrote:
intedinmamma wrote:

yeah but that also slows down sites

As I said, most people don't care. wink

10 (edited by NiCk Newman 2008-03-22 05:18)

Alot of people care if site is slow or fast imo big_smile

NiCk Newman wrote:

Alot of people care if site is slow or fast imo big_smile

It's quite a difference between 1 and 3 seconds vs. 1 and 10. What you'll loose in performance you'll earn in features, as long as it's properly coded. Most forums are so small that the visitors won't really notice the difference in speed, but they'll whine about the lack of bling-bling.

The amount of punbb forums is growing every day... big_smile and will never stop growing.

punbb is popular, between admins that know about this and want simple and fast forum, it is the best. I only hope that new versions will become so, easy, simple and fasts with minimal necessary features

punbb is very easy to install and manage, i think will be popular in time ,as compare to other is very easy  handle. or manage.

After 1.3 release punBB will become more popular due to hooks feature. It's extremely comfortable smile
I think, soon punBB can leave behind phpbb. But it depends on punBB owner's politics.

16 (edited by pedrotuga 2008-04-30 13:38)

I should point that it appears that some of you might haven't realise that is quite popular

Check this thread:
http://punbb.informer.com/forums/viewto … 79#p114079

facebook developers forum, french ubuntu forums, look around a bit more carefully and you'll find punbb in a lot of websites.

PunBB is popular, or? At least at those webpages I often visit (Who happen all to be Swedish PunBB-forums but wtf xD). If you have a free-hosted forum, PunBB according to me is way better than the phpBB.

Darth Vader will chase you away with his lightsaber!
GalacticEmpire.se Forum

PunBB isn't popular in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and mainland China because PunBB isn't a "large" forum software.

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

I know there one quiet great forum that is using PUNBB
http://friendstertalk.com/

And wow, it loads very very quick..
I've come to think of.. using this software maybe..
I tried IPB, then sticked to SMF for a while and now use BBPRESS since I'm blogging, until I found PUNBB (searched for forums that can be integrated to WordPress)..
Still, I don't know if I should make use of this one..

NiCk

But it is not popular wink

Let me take a stab at answering this, having been around Open Source projects for a time.

Open Source projects are the predecessors of social communities. MySpace has it's roots in what we do here, read someone's posting, leave a reply and over time, make acquaintances and alliances along the way. Before there was PunBB, we used mailing lists and newsgroups on Usenet, but now we hang out in browser based messaging systems.

How a project becomes popular has some parts code, some parts community. Code is important, no doubt, without it, I wouldn't be typing this message. Community is important, without me, you wouldn't be reading this. PunBB's code is fast and secure, a winning combination that is used by many software projects for their own support forums. What PunBB lacks is the community to take it places.

Joomla!, in less than 3 years, has created one of the most vibrant online communities. It's an amazement to watch the exuberant users man the support forums, leaving the programmers free to code some more. Every project should learn from Joomla!, they used the power of community to fork and surpass Mambo.

@@ Ic. thx