Topic: Categories wise view only

Is it possible that only catagories are visible on my main forum page. This is because I have as mush as 7 catagories to put on my forum page & each catagory have 7 or 8 different forums, in which my users will put
their different topics. So in normal view the page is having very long view & one has to scroll down to search his/her catagory / forum . So it will be more easy if the mage page shows only catagories so that one can click
his desired catagory & than the Forums present in that catagory become visible.kindly guide me please.

Re: Categories wise view only

There is a mod on PunRes to collapse categories

But is not the coding similar to that we view different forums on our index page & these forums than collapse to topics on clicking, Similarly is not it possible that we do coding of our caagories in same manner so that they may collapse on clicking & show different forums under them, only after clicking....

what i am trying to say is e.g. the main index page of our PunBB forum shows only Announcement & three catagories i.e.
1.PunBB
2.PunBB Additions
3.General
                    and if i wish to go to modification forum than Ist I ( the user ) clicks on category 2 i.e. PunBB Additions & than he clicks on the modifications forum & than his desired topic becomes visible.

Respected Smartys, Help me please ....

lol, why me? tongue
yemgi pointed you to the easiest method, the collapse categories modification. Anything else would require a good deal more changes to index.php.

Thanks for being so kind to guide me yemgi (-: .

Actually Smartys I thought that may be i can do some modifications in the index.php so that's why i asked for your valuable guidelines,Because
You hold full command on this & for me your word is the last ...

So following yemgi's & your's kind guidelins,I searched Punres & found these :

1. http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=428  ==> it is mod version 1.0
&
2. http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=1883  --> this is mod version 1.5

Off the above two I will try the 2nd one i.e. version 1.5 & will revert back after checking that.

Thanks for being so kind..

The 2nd one is the one I have used, just set the default status of the categories to hidden

(-:
I tried install the 2nd mod, BUT not successfull, My forum page went blank & so , I revert back to my backed up index.php file. It seems to me that the mod was released keeping in view the earlier version of PunBB & I have installed PunBB 1.3 Beta version, So is it possible for me now...

Regards

* Divnain *

well, I tried to find the 1.3 Beta talk forum .. but no post found there...
kindly enlighten me please ..

Oh, well you shouldn't be using the beta software in a production website tongue
But yes, the issue is that you need an extension, not a modification.

oops,
So what you suggest me, should i try to uninstall 1.3 beta & reload 1.2 , or should i wait for the release of 1.3 & than upgrade to that. & if i choose to reload 1.2 than what may be the steps involved to properly un-install the beta version. (-:

To un-install the 1.3 beta, just delete all it's php etc files off your server and delete the MySQL database created for it as well.

The mod you tried to install was designed to work with punbb v1.2.*.

I'd just install punbb v1.2.17 and run with that.

There is no compelling reason to start running v.1.3 yet.  PunBB v1.2.17 runs fine and will do so for a long time yet.

14 (edited by ekta 2008-05-21 14:51)

yemgi wrote:

The 2nd one is the one I have used, just set the default status of the categories to hidden

How do you do that? hmm