Topic: Having a private forum.

I've been searching, but have been unsuccessful. I was trying to find a previous made modification that had to do with "private" forums. Setting it so a user can see the forum, but not enter it without given permissions. I still want the forums visible, but unaccessible if tried to enter without the proper permissions.

How would I go about setting this up?

Re: Having a private forum.

I have set up a couple of forums where guests/visitors are only allowed to view a single forum which discusses the forum in general, and has a link to Log-In if they are members.  I have been able to do this easily with the existing features and options in PunBB.

With the ability to assign different permissions to each forum, you should be able to control who can enter and what they can do...  Read, Post Replies, Post Topics.  If you leave them unchecked, a visitor will not even be able to see that a forum exists.

You can set the registration options so that the forum doesn't even allow new registrations. If they try, any attempts receive the message, "This forum is not accepting new registrations."

Is this what you have in mind? Or are you wanting something more complex?

I should add that you would need to add the "Userlist Access" mod that lets you set up any group (including guests) to prevent them from seeing the Userlist and Profiles.  See... http://punbb.informer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9520

Summary: Set up guests to see little or nothing, and then the rest of the forum is available to your other groups.

I fixed the problem... thanks.