1 (edited by Anatoly 2008-06-21 10:13)

Topic: PunBB 1.3 official extensions

PunBB development team is glad to announce PunBB 1.3 official extensions. This is the first step to making PunBB the most fearured and the best in all respects forum, keeping if fast and lightweight. Extension system effectively enables us to do that.

PunBB forum automatically checks for extensions updates periodically (optional). Special notifications are displayed in the administrator’s extensions list. In two weeks we are going to release one-click extension installation feature (directly from PunBB repository, without manual extension downloading) via forum administrator dashboard.

Here are short descriptions of the released extensions:

* pun_hook_navigator — Provides live information about hooks and actually evaluated extension codes (for extension developers).
    * pun_attachment — Enables you to attach files to the posts.
    * pun_bbcode — Pretty buttons for easy BBCode formatting.
    * pun_e_mail_auth — Users can authorize themself by e-mail
    * pun_quote — Select the text you want to quote right in viewtopic (via JS).
    * pun_extension_reinstaller — Do both uninstall and install pointed extension with one click (useful for extension developers).
    * pun_karma — Enables users to rate posts: "+" or "-".
    * pun_topic_online_users — Displays who is reading or replying the topic right now.
    * pun_admin_add_user — Admin can add new user via the form at the bottom of User list.
    * pun_log — Logs PunBB events.
    * pun_poll — Adds polls feature for topics (alpha stage yet).

You are welcome to visit the repository to explore the collection of official PunBB extensions and download the ones you need.

Most of extensions are still in beta stage. Feel free to report bugs or extension request in 1.3 extensions talk.

Current list of extensions in development is published in sticky topic.

EDIT: SVN repository is available to get latest versions of extensions: http://punbb.informer.com/svn/extensions/ . Please remember, that they are not to be used in production environment (same as PunBB 1.3 RC).

Carpe diem

Re: PunBB 1.3 official extensions

Thanks for putting up a list.

One suggestion, I believe there should be an extension forum dedicated to extension introductions and support. Mixing extension and core support may prove a bit confusing over time. When introducing an extension, you could have a brief explanation of what it does and a screen shot of it in action if at all possible.

im glad to see that there is a download page separate from the actually thread. this is something that has really got on my nerves..... over the years with punbb. now just away for people to update there zip or rar files so that will reflect in the download area.

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

I quit all the switching.
I switch to punbb smile

PunBB, the FluxBB of tomorrow - today!

Hmm, I'll stay with FluxBB.

FSX wrote:

Hmm, I'll stay with FluxBB.

Me to, I prefer to know who is developing the software I am using.

Topic is updated.

Next week we will try publish all the information you requested for here and in other topics.

Carpe diem

It amuses me very much, how PunBB falls deeper and deeper.

Instead of going the PunBB-way, Anatoly announced, PunBB still sticks 100% to the code of FluxBB and still does not give credit to FluxBB.
Instead of following the original idea ("fast and lightweight") the official PunBB forum is bulked up with extensions nobody uses which quadruple the generation time and need as many queries as FluxBB/PunBB itself.

It seems to me that PunBB goes the Microsoft-way: Release unstable software(here: extensions) to have more features than the rival and accept that users may make their installation insecure, because they don't see the small "beta" or "insecure" note.

What the...I just saw that FluxBB forum and it is the same yikes wow
I am staying with punBB! I have tried lots of forums but when I found punBB I stayed with punBB!
Good job guys! And btw nice extensions!

[img]http://www.pokeplushies.com/images/adoptables/440184.gif[/img]---------------------------------------------------------------[img]http://www.pokeplushies.com/images/adoptables/450726.gif[/img]
Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!_||_Click here to feed me a Star Fruit!

headbuster: You have it backwards. PunBB 1.3 is based off of FluxBB 1.3 wink

Smartys wrote:

PunBB 1.3 is based off of FluxBB 1.3 wink

Which is based off of PunBB 1.3 Beta: http://punbb.informer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18151

You know when you install a piece of software and take it through it's paces? Use it for a time to get a feel for it, determine if it would work in the long run?

Well, let me say from a user perspective, this PunBB/FluxBB situation is not working in it's current state. If FluxBB will reign supreme, then close off this support forum, cause it's just very confusing and will do nothing but push people away. And I'm not being negative, just calling it like I see it.

I guess you have the team has split because of an argument and punBB was born?

[img]http://www.pokeplushies.com/images/adoptables/440184.gif[/img]---------------------------------------------------------------[img]http://www.pokeplushies.com/images/adoptables/450726.gif[/img]

hcgtv wrote:

Well, let me say from a user perspective, this PunBB/FluxBB situation is not working in it's current state. If FluxBB will reign supreme, then close off this support forum, cause it's just very confusing and will do nothing but push people away.

That's complete bunkum.

hcgtv wrote:
Smartys wrote:

PunBB 1.3 is based off of FluxBB 1.3 wink

Which is based off of PunBB 1.3 Beta: http://punbb.informer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18151

A fact which we don't deny and which we made clear at the time of release and in our "about" page. The difference is that we (the FluxBB developers) wrote the code which we forked from.
Point taken though. wink

hcgtv wrote:

Well, let me say from a user perspective, this PunBB/FluxBB situation is not working in it's current state. If FluxBB will reign supreme, then close off this support forum, cause it's just very confusing and will do nothing but push people away. And I'm not being negative, just calling it like I see it.

I 100% agree with you. At this point, we have:

PunBB 1.2
FluxBB 1.2
PunBB 1.3 Beta
PunBB 1.3 RC1
FluxBB 1.3 Beta 2
FluxBB 1.3 Beta 2.5 (the "release" we made from SVN without Paul's markup changes)
FluxBB 1.3 SVN (with Paul's partially completed markup changes)

and two different support websites, one of which (this one) was fairly lackluster until recently in terms of answering questions. It's a nightmare trying to figure out what version someone is actually running, which is necessary to know before you're able to help them.

We would appreciate any suggestions you have on how to deal with the matter.

[Note from here: this is NOT me speaking in my capacity as a FluxBB developer. I have not discussed these ideas with any of the other developers. These are entirely my own personal opinions. Consider it a "what if" musing.]

In my opinion, the best way to go forward would be for the FluxBB developers to repurchase the rights that they sold and reclaim the domain name, name, etc from the Russians. The fork and its repercussions, while necessary, have been frustrating to everyone involved, both users and developers. This back and forth between the two teams in terms of releases, shared code bases, etc has done little to help the matter. Consolidating back into one code base and one team, under the original name of PunBB, would greatly improve matters.

However, I don't think such a thing is possible. For one thing, I don't know that the Russians want to give up PunBB. For another, I have a feeling that repurchasing the rights would cost more than we as a team could afford, especially since we are smaller than we were when the original deal was made.

[/note]

headbuster wrote:

I guess you have the team has split because of an argument and punBB was born?

http://fluxbb.org/about/

I guess "bunkum" means rubbish?

headbuster wrote:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bunkum
Looks like it smile

17 (edited by MattF 2008-06-21 20:14)

Smartys wrote:

I 100% agree with you. At this point, we have:

PunBB 1.2
FluxBB 1.2
PunBB 1.3 Beta
PunBB 1.3 RC1
FluxBB 1.3 Beta 2
FluxBB 1.3 Beta 2.5 (the "release" we made from SVN without Paul's markup changes)
FluxBB 1.3 SVN (with Paul's partially completed markup changes)

and two different support websites

I would have to disagree, personally. The problem is that we all know what is what, and are somewhat biased in our opinions. However, at the end of the day, our primary concern is FluxBB. (Well, it is in my case personally).

How the new PunBB owners run this place reflects in no way or form upon FluxBB, and we obviously, in a community sense, appear to have bugger all sway on how they do things around here. As I said in another thread the other day, they really do need to figure out what exactly the meaning of community and Open Source is, as their comprehension is sadly lacking at the moment in that regard.

However, this whole issue is due to the fact that the PunBB name is still one we have a fondness for. That is what is the cause of the problem, so to speak. A clean break has to be made. There is no problem as such other than the ties that still haven't been cut, mainly due to that reason.

Flux and Pun are now completely different entities to all intents other than the codebase. They should be treated as such.

hcgtv wrote:

If FluxBB will reign supreme, then close off this support forum, cause it's just very confusing and will do nothing but push people away. And I'm not being negative, just calling it like I see it.

As your  "average Joe" user, I agree fully.
Since I as here before the fork, I have a fair idea what the relationship is between FluxBB and PunBB. For those looking for a forum solution now - if stumbling on the 2, it is very confusing.
My hope is that PunBB will simply go away,stop clouding the issue, and let FluxBB flourish as it should.

It is a little telling that the painful truth is that PunBB is merely a cheap carbon copy of FluxBB, and were it not for the FluxBB devs, Punbb would cease to exist.

Landen Meadows Residents Forum - http://www.landenmeadows.net

headbuster wrote:

Yes. smile

20 (edited by Smartys 2008-06-21 20:17)

Matt: You're also right. A lot of the problem has to do with the name.

People who haven't been following this issue are bound to be confused: they come to the PunBB forum and they see new owners, they see a different looking forum then they have, they see a link to download "PunBB 1.3 RC1."

They also see the references to FluxBB. If they investigate, they get even more confused: they see that the old PunBB developers created FluxBB, that it was based on the original 1.3 codebase, that PunBB is now based off of the forked FluxBB codebase, that FluxBB is currently still in beta while PunBB is in RCs (how is that possible when they use the same codebase?), etc.

As much as we might want to make a "clean break," we can't. For better or for worse, PunBB has chosen to tie itself to FluxBB. And from FluxBB's history, it is tied to PunBB. The codebases have been tied together and the community is very much tied together (after all, many of the people on the FluxBB forum originally came from here).

The names cause confusion, but I don't really see a good way of handling any kind of separation without users paying an even higher price.

Smartys wrote:

We would appreciate any suggestions you have on how to deal with the matter.

This forum, either has to remain active or redirect to the fluxbb.org forums, plain and simple.

If I started to hang out again, it's because you all vacated the premises. If I can explain it in graphic terms, picture the Marines walking into empty Baghdad palaces at the beginning of the Iraq war. I've tried to do my best to help out and I've been equally critical of both sides.

Moving forward, you call it Neal, this is your baby now.

hcgtv wrote:

Surely none of us actually have any say in what happens to this forum, which is the problem in the first place.

23 (edited by MattF 2008-06-21 20:40)

Smartys wrote:

They also see the references to FluxBB. If they investigate, they get even more confused: they see that the old PunBB developers created FluxBB, that it was based on the original 1.3 codebase, that PunBB is now based off of the forked FluxBB codebase, that FluxBB is currently still in beta while PunBB is in RCs (how is that possible when they use the same codebase?), etc.

Looking at that paragraph, I can understand the confusion aspect. Hell, I'm practically confused now. big_smile

Smartys wrote:

As much as we might want to make a "clean break," we can't. For better or for worse, PunBB has chosen to tie itself to FluxBB. And from FluxBB's history, it is tied to PunBB. The codebases have been tied together and the community is very much tied together (after all, many of the people on the FluxBB forum originally came from here).

The names cause confusion, but I don't really see a good way of handling any kind of separation without users paying an even higher price.

That part above is the main factor. The best way would be just for us all to stick to our respective forum of choice, and, to all intents and purposes, try to ignore the fact that the other does exist.

As you mention however, that would be to the users detriment, especially on here. As I noted last week, this place would be useless as a support forum if it was left to the current owners here to help users, if they maintain their current trend. Which is why I think a lot of us seem to have made sure we try to spend more time on here recently, so that the users here don't suffer from the split.

hcgtv wrote:

This forum, either has to remain active or redirect to the fluxbb.org forums, plain and simple.

Unfortunately, that's not my call to make. Personally, I feel I can't do support here for two reasons:

• I'm neither a developer nor a user of PunBB anymore and to pretend otherwise would be a disservice to PunBB users who expect the people giving them support to be versed in the software. While that may make little difference now, in the future supposedly PunBB will have some more features that diverge from the FluxBB code base

• I would feel the same way I felt when I was coding for SoftDeluxe before the fork: that I was unpaid labor for a company that was benefiting from my work and that didn't listen to my opinion

hcgtv wrote:

If I started to hang out again, it's because you all vacated the premises. If I can explain it in graphic terms, picture the Marines walking into empty Baghdad palaces at the beginning of the Iraq war. I've tried to do my best to help out and I've been equally critical of both sides.

And you have done a fine job of it. wink
In all honesty though, your criticism (at least from my perspective) is much appreciated.

hcgtv wrote:

It isn't though. I'm not the sole developer of FluxBB, nor am I its head developer. FluxBB is not just mine, it's Paul's and Connor's and Kristoffer's as well. And it's not just ours either. We didn't fork out of a lust for power or control. We forked so that the community could enjoy the forum software to the fullest. We promised the community that we would fork if the need ever arose: we kept that promise.

Matt: You've hit on the precise problem. smile