Re: PunBB 1.3 official extensions

Smartys wrote:

We promised the community that we would fork if the need ever arose: we kept that promise.

And highly appreciated that is. smile

MattF wrote:

The best way would be just for us all to stick to our respective forum of choice, and, to all intents and purposes, try to ignore the fact that the other does exist.

As you mention however, that would be to the users detriment, especially on here.

But without it, they don't have any motivation to switch.

I say leave PunBB community by itself, and the other way around leave FluxBB community by itself. Over time, each and everyone will choose what software is best for them.

With of course the massive exception of a lot of forum owner who don't give a fart about code ownership, don't know and don't care what a fork is. They have PunBB, or have heard of, they will stick to it. FluxBB would have to get its own reputation by itself: good coding, good product, release early, release often, stop releasing 3 years after the facts.

Jérémie wrote:

True.

Jérémie wrote:

stop releasing 3 years after the facts.

Not sure what you mean by that bit.

MattF wrote:
Jérémie wrote:

stop releasing 3 years after the facts.

Not sure what you mean by that bit.

http://dev.punbb.org/changeset/86
Note the date there wink

Ah right, so make the releases appear a bit sooner after conception than three years. big_smile

Jérémie wrote:
MattF wrote:

The best way would be just for us all to stick to our respective forum of choice, and, to all intents and purposes, try to ignore the fact that the other does exist.

As you mention however, that would be to the users detriment, especially on here.

I say leave PunBB community by itself, and the other way around leave FluxBB community by itself. Over time, each and everyone will choose what software is best for them.

With of course the massive exception of a lot of forum owner who don't give a fart about code ownership, don't know and don't care what a fork is. They have PunBB, or have heard of, they will stick to it. FluxBB would have to get its own reputation by itself: good coding, good product, release early, release often, stop releasing 3 years after the facts.

Amen Bro!

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

MattF wrote:

As I noted last week, this place would be useless as a support forum if it was left to the current owners here to help users, if they maintain their current trend.

Came back online today to check this thread, hoping to see some dialogue from the current owners or at least a comment from one of the new moderators telling us to stay on topic.

Maybe the owners should really think about selling the rights back to the community, referring back to Neal's notes. We won't be able to afford a huge sum of money but I'm sure we can reach some kind of cross promotion deal where Informer's domains would be properly showcased for a predetermined period of time, a sort of big brother sponsor, like Typo3 is doing for Dokuwiki (check the footer).

Спасибо

hcgtv wrote:
MattF wrote:

As I noted last week, this place would be useless as a support forum if it was left to the current owners here to help users, if they maintain their current trend.

Came back online today to check this thread, hoping to see some dialogue from the current owners or at least a comment from one of the new moderators telling us to stay on topic.

Must admit, I wasn't expecting them to say bugger all. I realised, once they ignored this thread:

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/viewto … 05#p115505

that they have sod all intention of being forthright on here.

Call me pessimistic, but I have zero trust or faith in them. I think I'm going to follow Jeremie's advice and just start ignoring this place full stop, (once I manage to resist the temptation to check back here). It's akin to flogging a dead horse on here now, in my personal opinion.

34 (edited by Utchin 2008-06-22 20:05)

MattF wrote:

Call me pessimistic, but I have zero trust or faith in them. I think I'm going to follow Jeremie's advice and just start ignoring this place full stop, (once I manage to resist the temptation to check back here). It's akin to flogging a dead horse on here now, in my personal opinion.

I would do the same, however like I said over a fluxbb I don't feel its right to leave the users of punbb/fluxbb out.. around 90% of the people that provided support daily for users have moved to fluxbb...

And thats why I will help as much as I can on both forums (If im wanted wink)

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

amen..... to all.. i say fork it all...

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Good news. ~~ I like it. cool

matt1298 wrote:

I would do the same, however like I said over a fluxbb I don't feel its right to leave the users of punbb/fluxbb out.. around 90% of the people that provided support daily for users have moved to fluxbb...

And thats why I will help as much as I can on both forums (If im wanted wink)

That is what I would prefer to do too, to keep helping, (where possible), on both boards. However, the fact that Anatoly is the only dev/mod who shows even the slightest interest on here, and the fact that any questions they don't like regarding their intentions or pretty much anything relating to PunBB they don't deem worthy to answer are just being completely ignored is becoming more than merely irksome now. (It's getting on my tits big style, to be truthful).

I can see perfectly Jeremie's point of, (to put it bluntly), letting this place kill itself. That will eventually not be to the detriment of the users, but rather to their benefit, in the long run. The other board will not be short of technical help for users if they decide to ask on the forum where they are actually going to get useful help.

It's just the fact that this is the PunBB board that makes it so hard to make that break. big_smile But, at the end of the day, a name is merely a name.

MattF wrote:

(It's getting on my tits big style, to be truthful).

Oh, one of the Seven Filthy Words !!!

Where's that pun_fcc plugin when you need it wink

Thanks for posts but most of them are off topic (official extensions).
I will remove Pun/Flux discussion posts from here tomorrow.
Create separate topic for this in General Discussions please.
I will answer any concrete question (FluxBB related) there if any.

Carpe diem

Does the extensions work on Fluxbb?

PunBB, the FluxBB of tomorrow - today!

Yes, in most cases. We specially make ourself an aim to provide maximum compatibility.

42 (edited by MattF 2008-06-24 12:47)

Anatoly wrote:

I will remove Pun/Flux discussion posts from here tomorrow.
Create separate topic for this in General Discussions please.
I will answer any concrete question (FluxBB related) there if any.

Rather than conveniently making them disappear, can you not split the topic and place the posts you class as unsuitable or off-topic in a new thread in general discussion?

Edit: Also, whilst on the subject, why are answers and everything else always offered tomorrow, and never now? Tomorrow never comes.

MattF wrote:

Rather than conveniently making them disappear, can you not split the topic and place the posts you class as unsuitable or off-topic in a new thread in general discussion?

Where's that split/merge extension when you need it wink

44 (edited by Anatoly 2008-06-25 07:42)

MattF wrote:

OK.

MattF wrote:

Edit: Also, whilst on the subject, why are answers and everything else always offered tomorrow, and never now? Tomorrow never comes.

First of all, "tomorrow" is stated here for you to have time to post your opinions, just as you have done it.
Second, I often write "tomorrow" because I'm working 40 hours a week (I spend free time with my daughter, friends and sometimes shashlik) and I do not always have enough time to reply user posts before I have to go. Also please note timezone difference :)
Should I just leave post unacknowledged instead of telling "tomorrow"?

PS: Heh, off topic again :)

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:

First of all, "tomorrow" is stated here for you to have time to post your opinions, just as you have done it.

I appreciate why you use the word tomorrow, and also the fact that we all have personal lives to attend to, but what I was specifically referring to is the fact that you do appear to use the word tomorrow rather than just unacknowledged. All previous instances where I can remember seeing that word being used haven't had the stated follow up done 'tomorrow', unless I've overlooked them.

Btw, I'll refrain from adding any more off-topic posts to this thread now. smile

You are welcome to use http://punbb.informer.com/svn/extensions/ to get latest revisions.

Carpe diem

Any reason why you have "Copyright &copy; 2008 <a href="http://punbb.informer.com/">PunBB</a>" In the extension hook browser. Its not needed and if its used on fluxbb it can make it look weird and useless.?

i just dont see the point in this. you shouldnt brand all your extensions just so it shows on a fluxbb forum?

•BUMP•

Utchin wrote:

Any reason why you have "Copyright © 2008 <a href="http://punbb.informer.com/">PunBB</a>" In the extension hook browser. Its not needed and if its used on fluxbb it can make it look weird and useless.?

Could you please explain what's the real problem? Are you talking about "Currently used extensions" list in the bottom?
I don't get the idea of "if its used on fluxbb it can make it look weird and useless".

Carpe diem

that was just something to bump the topic up lol..

yeah eg this site

Currently used extensions: pun_extension_reinstaller, pun_topic_online_users, pun_karma, pun_e_mail_auth, pun_repository, pun_bbcode. Copyright © 2008 PunBB

just i dont think you need to put the copyright notice on that extension?