Topic: CMS integration - on the long run

Hello,

I am running a drupal Site for some years now, and there is always the problem with the bad forum. When asking there, the deleopers say, that you can do everything with the drupal forum - but that's simply not true. Most things may work, but there ist no real kind of workflow in any way.

So there are many small projects starting something and then giving up again, trying to create a forum or to bend an existing forum to fit.

But I think, that it is the wrong way round: When someone bends the forum system, he will never be able to update it again, as everything is bent.

So an idea has formed in my mind. Why not have a forum, that has a split backend and frontend?

In such a way, a forum could have an API, that allows integration into every kind of CMS. It would use the user base and work on the traditional setting workflow. But also, there could be a standalone frontend, that makes the forum available without CMS.

The CMS frontend would have to do the link creation and also receive the user input and call the respective parts of the forum. This may also take a bit more time and thought than standalone work. But that would make the forum far more popular. And I would think that most people would want integration in one way or another...

Maybe, this could be PunBB?

Give this a thought smile

regards,
Philip

Re: CMS integration - on the long run

This is definitely an excellent idea. If you find something enabling it, let me know also. Actually it is kind of obvious: you should always avoid too much integration of DB, business logic and UI levels.

Well at the moment i'm working on a way to control punbb remotely smile

i'm creating some sort of api to create posts, topics and users on punbb

it will work based on an xmlrpc protocol, but i'll have the backend for a full api so this will be possible in the near feature.

i know this is not exactly what you sugest, but when this is finished someone can create a plucin (dunno how its called in drupal) to use punbb in stead of the current forums smile

~Cereal
I've finally learned what "upward compatible" means. It means we get to keep all our old mistakes.
The limits of language are the limits of one's world.

Actually, PunBB 1.3 does a surprisingly good work here. When integrating it to my site, I managed to do it all through hooks, with two exceptions. Upgrades should be a breeze - I can simply do a file compare on old and new files and modify my hooks accordingly.