Topic: chatroom in the sidebar of portal by Daris

Wow, that would be nice smile

Re: chatroom in the sidebar of portal by Daris

Do you mean about including existing extension (like for example ChatLite), or creating new one?

I think chatlite works very well but because it is only viewable from the index page, very few people see or use it because they are too busy viewing topics in the forums. So yes, if you could integrate chatlite in the sidebar that would be amazing.

Or perhaps your side columns are too narrow to be suitable for a chatroom?
The old chatroom for 1.2 was great where you would click the link from the navbar and then it just dropped down and became part of the main.tpl file (or so it seemed to me).  It also told you who was specifically in the chatroom rather than just who was logged on to the forum.

But I think if the correct formatting could be used, a chat box could be nice in your portal sidebar... and maybe copy it also to your portal main page too.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6489/punchatpy3.th.jpg
How does it look? wink

ha that looks very sexy. is that real or a mock?

Real wink

Quick instructions:
- add new panel called for example Chat with that content:

<?php $cur_panel['class'] = '' ?>
<div id="panel-chatlite"></div>

- open /extensions/ek_chatlite/media/js/chat.js (firstly backup it tongue )
- find

msgTemplate: new Template('#{a}[#{d}#{h}:#{m}] <strong>&lt;#{name}&gt;</strong> #{msg}<br />'),

- replace with

msgTemplate: new Template('#{a}[#{d}#{h}:#{m}] <strong>#{name}</strong><br /> #{msg}<br />'),

- find

// get the header or announcement we will use it to append our chatbox after
        var appendAfter = document.getElementById('brd-announcement');
        if(!appendAfter) appendAfter = document.getElementById('brd-visit');
        if(!appendAfter) return false;

- replace with

// get the header or announcement we will use it to append our chatbox after
        var appendAfter = document.getElementById('panel-chatlite');
        if(!appendAfter) appendAfter = document.getElementById('brd-announcement');
        if(!appendAfter) appendAfter = document.getElementById('brd-visit');
        if(!appendAfter) return false;

- find

chatBlock.appendChild(new Element('h2')).update(this.lang.title);

- replace with

//        chatBlock.appendChild(new Element('h2')).update(this.lang.title);

- save chat.js
- open /extensions/ek_chatlite/manifest.xml
- find

/ add javascript and style files on the Index
if(FORUM_PAGE === 'index') {

- replace with

// add javascript and style files on the Index
if(FORUM_PAGE === 'index' || defined('FORUM_PORTAL')) {

- save manifest.xml
- reinstall chatlite (or refresh hooks)

hmm,  I still get the problem of "page not found" when I tried to access "panels" and "pages".
Something is wrong.
I tried to reinstall your portal extension but got the same problem still.

I wonder if you'd like to have my forum admin password so you can have a check?
I can give you FTP access if you think that would help.
Should I send that to you via a PM?

CHEERS!!

Hmm, It looks like you're having same problem as SuperMAG (here). He also can't access files in extension directory directly (but it can for example through index.php, like it's done with portal main page)

esupergood wrote:

I wonder if you'd like to have my forum admin password so you can have a check?
I can give you FTP access if you think that would help.
Should I send that to you via a PM?

I think it doesn't help, I see only one workaround as I wrote before - going through for example admin/admin_index.php?pages instead of extensions/portal_by_daris/admin/pages.php. I don't know why it doesn't work for you.

Can you put some php files in extensions directory and try to run it from browser? Will it show 404 error?

9 (edited by dasunsrule32 2009-04-21 23:25)

Good stuff, got it working in the portal. Now is there a way for the chat box to stay on screen while scrolling down the page? This would be nifty, as to keep the chat box on screen at all times, so that people will use it. Thank you in advance!

I got the chat extension working relatively well in the portal; however, the js chat box disappears when I go to a post on the forum. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

dasunsrule32 wrote:

Now is there a way for the chat box to stay on screen while scrolling down the page? This would be nifty, as to keep the chat box on screen at all times, so that people will use it.

Personally, I think that is a detestable idea. One of my real hates with sites where it occurs is those things which follow you around the page. A guaranteed way to make sure I never visit a site again.

At the end of the day, your site, your rules, but I would suggest reconsidering that idea.

dasunsrule32 wrote:

I got the chat extension working relatively well in the portal; however, the js chat box disappears when I go to a post on the forum. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

FIXED: It was Yonash's y_repository extension. Once disabled, the chat box worked correctly.

MattF wrote:
dasunsrule32 wrote:

Now is there a way for the chat box to stay on screen while scrolling down the page? This would be nifty, as to keep the chat box on screen at all times, so that people will use it.

Personally, I think that is a detestable idea. One of my real hates with sites where it occurs is those things which follow you around the page. A guaranteed way to make sure I never visit a site again.

At the end of the day, your site, your rules, but I would suggest reconsidering that idea.

I agree. But the only reason with this, is because there will be a live chat happening at all times on every page. So it makes sense to have it visible, as not to miss out on the conversation.

14 (edited by Raeli 2009-05-17 12:09)

Hi, this works great for the front page, however any custom pages I also have created via the portal it now shows on those too. Any fix for this so that it only shows in the panel? Thanks.

Edit:

I sort of have it, I replaced:

if(FORUM_PAGE === 'index' || defined('FORUM_PORTAL')) {

With:

if(! $_GET["page"] && FORUM_PAGE == defined('FORUM_PORTAL')) {

This makes it do exactly what I want:
It stops showing on the forum index, and custom pages created via the portal addon
It only shows on the portal panel created with the code above.

However it generates this error:

Notice: Undefined index: page

On all pages apart from the custom created pages via the portal addon.

Any ideas?

Nevermind, solved it:

$thissite = $_SERVER["SCRIPT_URL"];
if(! isset($_GET['page']) && $thissite == "/index.php") {

I did that: http://www.weeboo.fr/
But i just change the place in the css but i have a problem, when i am redaing a post, the chatbox disapear sad, someone could help me, if you want to test go there: http://www.weeboo.fr/ and try to read a topic sad