Topic: Publish PunBB.NET in a web application subfolder

Hello.

Is it possible to publish PunBB as a subfolder of a main application?
My provider doesn't allow me to configure more than one web application and I would like that PunBB is located in a subfolder.

I know that I have to integrate my web.config with PunBB web.config but I don't know the exact procedure.

Have I move any other folder?

Is there some tricks to make this deploy simple?

Thanks.

Re: Publish PunBB.NET in a web application subfolder

epikarma wrote:

Hello.

Is it possible to publish PunBB as a subfolder of a main application?
My provider doesn't allow me to configure more than one web application and I would like that PunBB is located in a subfolder.

I know that I have to integrate my web.config with PunBB web.config but I don't know the exact procedure.

Have I move any other folder?

Is there some tricks to make this deploy simple?

Thanks.

In theory it should not be difficult.What you need to do is  copy data from the sections of our config into yours. For example <ConnectionStrings> section of your config should contain our connection together with all the data which was there before. The same way with all other sections.
We haven't tried to use PunBB as a subfolder of another application. But we'll try  it on our test server, and will let you know the result. If you have already made an attemp and it was not successfull, please describe problems here. We are ready to help.

It's possible.
In addition to merging web.config settings it's required to update all links starting with "~/"
e.g. links to master pages, links in site map files etc.
Also I've faced the case when my master page and site map file have identical names with punbb ones.
I've just renamed them.
Generally it would be nice to have some parameter in appsettings section like "PathPrefix" with value pointing to the punbb forum location. And this parameter should be added to all links.

4 (edited by epikarma 2009-05-22 22:45)

Hello Alexp.

Judic proposal about a PathPrefix customizable tag in web.config would be the ideal.

I could try replacing any links starting with "~/" but it'll become difficult to remain up to date because the synchronization of configuration file, the renaming of any path inside any files it's an heavy task.

Do you think that in a future version it will be possible to implement this feature?

I think that my scenario won't be so unusual even for other users.

Thank you