1 (edited by StevenBullen 2009-08-25 13:01)

Topic: Spam!

Seriously why do you guys let this forum over-run with sig spam? Please do something about it!

For starters add nofollow to all external links, this will stop the initial people who have a general idea how spam works.
Then if it carries on remove the ability to add a sig or website url when you have less than 10 posts.

Edit:
Spam prepare to die!

Re: Spam!

LOL. Grump grump grump.

But clearly a few minimum measures would be good to see - like yes, the nofollow tag should be there for all external links.

Re: Spam!

Also if you check out the last 10 users that have registered they will no doubt have spam in most of the signatures.

Plus I have noticed that people have been pinging the profile's so they get indexed on google.

Here is 2 good examples...

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/user/18929/
http://punbb.informer.com/forums/user/17324/

Can someone from admin either prune all users with no posts (bit drastic) or remove everyones sig (empty the table) so that you remove all the spam in one move.

EDIT:
Maybe you should make it so that a user must have one single post before he can add signature. Because with the 150+ users registering a day it's impossible to keep up.

Re: Spam!

Some kind of check is necessary. The spam protection can be implemented like an extension.

StevenBullen wrote:

Maybe you should make it so that a user must have one single post before he can add signature.

Got it.
Also we need some kind of checking for posts: for hidden links (via tag "color"), etc.
Signatures of users with no posts were cleared.

Re: Spam!

Slavok wrote:

Also we need some kind of checking for posts: for hidden links (via tag "color"), etc.
Signatures of users with no posts were cleared.

Yep for sure.
Cheers for the clearance. smile

Re: Spam!

When you add a extension to reduce spam can you clear out the sig's again because I can't clear a 100 sigs a day. wink

Maybe you could clear all user website links who have 0 posts at the same time. Because that is getting spammed as well.

Re: Spam!

Slavok wrote:

Some kind of check is necessary. The spam protection can be implemented like an extension.

StevenBullen wrote:

Maybe you should make it so that a user must have one single post before he can add signature.

Got it.

Any news on this?

Don't take this the wrong way but everything seems to be slow with you guys. Spam is happening and someone should be sitting down for an hour and sorting it.

Re: Spam!

This feature was added to the pun_antispam extension. We are testing it now, and we are planning to install this extension on our forums today.

Re: Spam!

Slavok wrote:

This feature was added to the pun_antispam extension. We are testing it now, and we are planning to install this extension on our forums today.

Nice! big_smile

10 (edited by Slavok 2009-09-03 14:21)

Re: Spam!

The extension was installed smile

Re: Spam!

Thank you! Top notch!

Maybe it could be changed to +3 posts required though? Any update on adding 'nofollow' to external links?

Plus the website info for users needs to have the same restriction. Because if you check latest users since turning the 'pun_antispam' on they all add a website link instead of going for the signature. Spam is so annoying! sad

Can you please clear all signatures/website info for all user with under 3 posts please. This will clear 99% of the spam. Plus wont affect true community users as they will have over 3 posts. smile

Re: Spam!

3 posts seem low to me. Why not increase to 10?

13

Re: Spam!

They'll just code their bot to post ten posts instead of 1 or 3 and you as admin have the task of deleting the 10 spam messages they posted to get the signature.

Best leave it at 1.

Re: Spam!

joycejohnson wrote:

3 posts seem low to me. Why not increase to 10?

or 5. smile

KeyDog wrote:

They'll just code their bot to post ten posts instead of 1 or 3 and you as admin have the task of deleting the 10 spam messages they posted to get the signature.

Best leave it at 1.

Well I disagree. The difference is that it's sometimes hard to notice a bot posting one post. BUT! 5/10 posts from a new user in a matter of minutes you can pretty much tell it's spam.

15

Re: Spam!

Anyway its not [edit] only [edit] a bot here , but some twat mucking around....
He'll just post 5... so it's a complete waste of time.

I have several forums and no spam issue whatsoever currently on 1.3.x.

16

Re: Spam!

I think 3 posts are enough to detect spam.

StevenBullen wrote:

Plus the website info for users needs to have the same restriction. Because if you check latest users since turning the 'pun_antispam' on they all add a website link instead of going for the signature. Spam is so annoying!

It will be implemented in a few days. Thanks for the suggestion.

17 (edited by Ian 2009-09-10 16:59)

Re: Spam!

i think 20 just because its easy to post on forums if you want to stay smile i have like 19 just from today but i am not spamming

EDIT or at least have an option in the admincp to call
if
$signumber->posts =>$postnumber
print "You can now have a signiture"
elseif
$signumber->posts =< $postnumber
print " You need 20 posts to have a sig"

Currently :: Installing vb Getting a new domain and modding punbb :)

18

Re: Spam!

Over at textpattern forums we have 10 posts before we allow "new members" to jump into "member" status. Sometimes even 1 post is enough but we found that 10 posts is an OK number. The jump from new member to member is nevertheless done manually as there is no software which can fully detect all variations of spam posts.

forum, Art, Architecture

Did you visit the textpattern forum?

19

Re: Spam!

where can I actually apply this extention?

Express your tobacco tastes at Cigarettes Forum online.

20

Re: Spam!

Just install latest version of pun_antispam via pun_repository or manually download it from our site.

Re: Spam!

I allow signature links on my sites but only after 10 posts. On one of my sites with wordpress I have Aksimet installed which throws obvious spam comments into an archived folder that I can later delete. If the user is providing useful content and contributing to the conversation, I don't mind allowing signatures. It encourages more people to come to my site which increases my traffic and my content.

Aaron Neal, Satellite Internet

Re: Spam!

Then if it carries on remove the ability to add a sig or website url when you have less than 10 posts.

good idea !

Re: Spam!

sirena wrote:

the nofollow tag should be there for all external links.

Nofollow ruins part of what makes the internet (particularly searching) work.

Much better to simply stop the spammers from registering or being able to post links within X number of posts.