Re: INFO: Bad HTTP_REFERER

phrog wrote:

Email would be ideal since I'd rather not have my IP posted in public. Email me at foo@qx.net so I can reply with the URL.

You have his mailaddress below each post.

Better yet, just send me an e-mail via the forums.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I got the http_referer error trying to make your name an ADMIN so you'll have to use my name. Check your mail. Thanks for the help so far.

I got the e-mail and tried it out with the admin account you supplied me with. It works just fine for me. You say it's run on your local computer. Are you sure you are visiting the forums by navigating to the external IP address of your computer (the one in base url)? You're not using localhost or 127.0.0.1 or some alias (i.e. your computers name)?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

80 (edited by phrog 2004-08-20 22:04)

UPDATE: Problem fixed. It was Firefox. I opened up IE (which I hate using) and I was able to change options without getting the http_referer error.

I wonder what in Firefox needs tweaking....

Mad respect to Rickard. Thanks for the help!!!!

Firefox doesn't disable referrer logging by default. I think the Web Developer Toolbar has an option for it though. Are you using that extension?

82 (edited by phrog 2004-08-20 23:23)

I bet thats it!! I have that extention installed.

There I just unchecked referer logging, time to test it out. Thanks again man!

UPDATE: Firefox plays nice with punBB now. 8)

Rickard wrote:

First of all, you really should consider disabling Norton Internet Security before disabling the referer check in PunBB. However, if you insist on disabling it, here's how.

Replace confirm_referer with the following piece of code:

function confirm_referer($script)
{
    // Do nothing
}

Then, in admin_options.php, look for:

// Lazy referer check (in case base_url isn't correct)
if (!preg_match('#/admin_options\.php#i', $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']))
    message($lang_common['Bad referer'].' <a href="mailto:'.$pun_config['o_admin_email'].'">'.$pun_config['o_admin_email'].'</a>.');

and remove it.

After doing this. I get this message When I try to delete a Category.

"http://starfus.free2host.net/php/forums/admin_categories.php"

""

Any help please

No, that can't be right. If it outputs the stuff you posted, that means you did this.

Have you read the first post in this topic? Disable any firewall/security crap and try with a different browser until it works.

85 (edited by _arse 2004-09-07 19:30)

My forum is accessable both through domain.com and www.domain.com
I wanted to allow access both ways, this i what i did:
(sorry if some similar code has already been posted)

index.php
http://www.domain.com/forum is my setting, but it is accessable at
http://www.domain.com/forum
http://domain.com/forum

if($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] == "domain.com") { 
    header("Location: http://www.domain.com/forum");
}

simple stuff, but it works yikes
I just wacked this right below the comment in index.php smile

Don't forget, the referrer check only applies to mods and admins.

I use punbb with phpadsnew on my site. Both use referrer, but don't work together in harmony. So it isn't realy a problem, because punbb only checks the referrer on moderators or admins aktivities. Normal user don't be affected. But now i have seen, search.php don't works correctly. Only if i disable referrer logging on my browser it works right.

Is there a referrer check in search.php?

dato

No, search should not be affected in any way. Are you absolutely sure? What happens when it doesn't work properly?

browser referrer logging enable -> phpadsnew error code
browser referrer logging disable -> it works fine

I know it probably is a phpadsnew problem, but only happens on search or admin activities.

90 (edited by dato 2004-09-08 22:30)

Ok, situation has changed a bit. :-)

The error only occur if you searching a word that isn't existing in the database. If a word was found, all works fine. Strange.

I checked out your site and it appears on all pages that cause an info message to be displayed (e.g. wrong username/password, a missing field in a form etc.). I have no idea how this phpadsnew works, so I don't know how to help you. At least, I can't do anything without seeing how your site is setup.

92 (edited by dato 2004-09-08 22:47)

Rickard wrote:

it appears on all pages that cause an info message to be displayed (e.g. wrong username/password, a missing field in a form etc.)

You've right, Rickard! Everytime an info message should be displayed. Not really a referrer issue.

I wish I could do more to help you out, but I have no idea how it's setup.

A user of my forum recognized the same problem on Win 98 IE6. I added a output for the $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"] and, suprise!, it was empty, no referer was published.

asdf: Then he/she is using some kind of firewall/internet security program that interferes. See the first post in this topic.

Your product looks really good, but unfortunately, I don't have any more time to waste trying to figure out why I keep getting the Bad Referer error. You guys need to have a customer oriented attitude and not be telling people to leave their firewalls open so they can administer their PunBB forum. Come on, nobody else does that.

I'll keep checking back to see if you fix this thing, because I think it could potentially be better than phpBB. But for now, I'm dumping punBB.

mutatron wrote:

Your product looks really good, but unfortunately, I don't have any more time to waste trying to figure out why I keep getting the Bad Referer error. You guys need to have a customer oriented attitude and not be telling people to leave their firewalls open so they can administer their PunBB forum. Come on, nobody else does that.

I'll keep checking back to see if you fix this thing, because I think it could potentially be better than phpBB. But for now, I'm dumping punBB.

You don't need to disable the firewall if you can find a way to stop the stripping of the referrer wink

Plus, I believe Rickard posted steps in here to remove the checks: in fact, I see it right on this page

Hail,
I hope anyone can help me-i cant change anything in my admin options all i get is a bad HTTP_REFERER or to be exact:
Bad HTTP_REFERER. You were referred to this page from an unauthorized source. Please go back and try again. If the problem persists please make sure that 'Base URL' is correctly set in Admin/Options and that you are visiting the forum by navigating to that URL.

My URL is:http://www.jaggernaut.net/forum

Now i am not any good at cpus, but if someone can explain in a simple way i would be wery greatful!

Take Care,
Emil/Jaggernaut

Did you read the first post in this topic?

Rickard wrote:

Did you read the first post in this topic?

No, but i did it now-and the answer was there-sorry!It was my firewall that was the problem.

Take Care,
Emil