Topic: Attachment extension blocking login

If a guest is viewing a post which contains an attachment then, upon loggin, there is a popup saying "Save this file?". The message won't go away and can only be avoided by going back a couple of pages and clicking on something else.

I have made it so guests can download files, but the message comes up without clicking on the file, simply when one is at that post at the time of login.

How can I fix this?

Re: Attachment extension blocking login

Does anyone else have a setup which allows guests to download? If so have you seen it block login?

This is a really big problem for me as I will have to find some other way to deal with images. sad

I can't reproduce the problem. Could you post the site link here?

4 (edited by Ole Juul 2010-06-23 06:17)

Slavok wrote:

I can't reproduce the problem. Could you post the site link here?

Sorry Slavok, I don't have this online yet. It does seem like a bug since the installation is fairly stock. Here are the steps which should reproduce the problem:

1. Install v1.0.3 Attachment extension
2. In Administration  » Settings  » Attachments
    check "Display images" and set Max height/width to 600x600
3. In Administration  » Users  » Groups  » Edit existing group
     under GUEST "Attachment rules" check "Allow users to download files".
4. Make a post and attach a pic.jpg file (less than 600x600) to it.
5. log out
6. While logged out, go to the above post. (you should see the picture)
7. Click login, enter user and password, etc.

Instead of getting logged in, the result will now be a pop up window that says "Save this file?"
At this point clicking "Cancel" leaves you stuck at the redirect window. If you click the link, then the "Save this file?" window pops up again.

PS: I was hoping to use this extension as an easy way for (some) users to post pictures in a story for all viewers. This arrangement clearly will not work because of this login problem.

Edit: I just did the above steps on a completely different PunBB installation and got the same result.

Thanks for the bug report, we will fix it.

Slavok wrote:

Thanks for the bug report, we will fix it.

That would be wonderful! smile

Since development is starting up again, I'll bump this thread, even though I know it is on the bugs to fix list.

VBulletin has a similar problem. With that software, if you click on a file, if it doesn't show (or download) then it will ask you to log in. If you then do that, you are stuck and can't view the rest of the board. I'm sure that PunBB can do better than vBulletin which is full of user interface bugs. Apparently they charge money too, which is kinda embarrassing, I think.

Cant reproduce problem - use firefox-4 and Chromium-10.

9 (edited by Ole Juul 2011-03-13 06:55)

dimkalinux wrote:

Cant reproduce problem - use firefox-4 and Chromium-10.

Thanks for looking at it dimkalinux. I don't think it has anything to do with the browser. I've tried it in a bunch of them. Anyway, just for you, I made a test for this so you can see for yourself. I'll probably delete the post after a few days.

You will have to register first.
Then, without logging in, go to this page:
http://princetontraditional.org/viewtop … pid=25#p25
Now log in.
See?

Regards,
            Ole

Ole Juul,

1) Find in pun_attachment extension dir file url.php and make it copy.
2) Download http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1630654/url.php.zip - extract and replace url.php
3) Check.

11 (edited by Ole Juul 2011-03-13 08:33)

Oops!!! Sorry dimkalinux. I was just cleaning up the recent registrants, and I mistook you for spam without thinking. When I see the name again I will leave it there. Again sorry - I'm an idiot. sad

Anyway, I'll try your fix right now and get right back to you.

Yes! You've fixed it. That's wonderful - thanks!

Now it is possible to use the pun_attachment extension for showing pictures on the forum. Until this fix, one had to host pictures on another site.