1 (edited by Grez 2010-08-17 00:58)

Topic: PhpBB3 to PunBB 1.3.4 migration tool

I didn't know which section to choose, but I guess the main thing is that this tool finally exists and not section in which it is published big_smile

Instructions
  • Backup your phpBB3 forum! (both db and code, I don't know what could possibly go wrong, and I guess you don't want to end up with totally new forum without any posts, right?

• Delete all phpbb files and install brand-new PunBB forum

• Download phpbb_converting_tool

• Extract it into rootdir of your forum

• Using Administration install the phpbb3_login extension

• Run the phpbb.php file, choose what do you want to convert, fill in the phpbb database prefix (if any) aaand

• Trigger it

Converts
  • Users

• Categories

• Forums

• Topics

• PMs //if extension installed

• BB codes

• Admin's in original "admin" group and admin performing the conversion

Features this convertor does not include
  • Groups

• Forums permissions

• Polls

• Attachments

• and some unimportant stuff

Changelog

2010-08-05: Published & first satisfied customer tongue

Currently has been tested only on localhost on forum PhpBB 3.0.1 with approximately 700 users, 300 topics and 5000 posts. The script took 3sec on my crappy PC  big_smile

Eraversum - scifi browser-based online webgame

Re: PhpBB3 to PunBB 1.3.4 migration tool

Valuable contribution!
I'd have put it in ADDITIONS....
but you should be asked to join the developers of punbb - as you seem to have time and expertise, in my opinion...  just the kind the project needs....

KeyDog wrote:

I'd have put it in ADDITIONS

True, I guess you can move it there  smile

KeyDog wrote:

but you should be asked to join the developers of punbb - as you seem to have time and expertise, in my opinion...

Well, I've got time now, but I guess it will change when school starts again in September sad

Grez wrote:

it will change when school starts again in September

Yeah this is a general "problem" - people move on or have other time constraints, no problem...

Grez wrote:

move it there

Done, thanks again.

Users:    100%
Catgs:    100%
Forums:    100%
Topics:    100%
Generated in 0.044 seconds, 28 queries executed

worked like a charm big_smile
good work and thank you!

I have an old phpBB3 forum that contains 60 messages.
Is there any way to import them in my existing punBB ?

@milkiway Well, there's always a way, but this would differ from forum to forum (which means you can't write "universal" script), so I guess no programmer would do it here...

But if it's only 60 messages you could do it manually... smile

(I presume by "existing PunBB forum" you mean forum with some users, posts and so... If not you can of course use my script)  smile

Hello,
Just to say thank you, 2-3 small changes, and it works with the latest version of phpbb (3.0.8).
Operates as a forum to forum only.
I had change the dblayer of PunBB line 68 to works because:

if(strlen($sql)>140000)
    exit ('Insane query. Aborting. ");

tongue

Note: for a good conversion, it makes sense to update the $str wink

Otherwise, rapid conversion => Generated in 10,762 seconds, 536 queries executed for 58 forums and 57000 posts.

Thank's a lot !

I don't speak English, but Google Translate is doing pretty good.

9 (edited by Jven 2010-11-24 19:50)

Most of the conversions worked great, everything seems to be there.

But I have encountered some problems, first the hashed passwords haven´t been copied correctly it seems, but that´s not my main concern as it can always be fixed manually, or by reseting the password. The biggest problem is that you can´t register a new account any longer. You fill in the form and after you hit register you directly jumps to the login page with the error message "Incorrect username and/or password". And nothing is saved in the user table. (the Verify registrations option isn´t activated)

Any idea of what could be the problem? (Otherwise a great tool)

EDIT:
Think I have located the problem with the register, obviously it had nothing to do with this tool. Sry for that.
The password hashes is a bit strange tho, it doesn´t work with the passwords copied from the phpbb(3) table, but If I take the passwords from an older installation with phpbb2 it works.

oh yes !
I was writing the same tool but it was ok at only 50%.

I will try this one asap.

I have a problem. Where should I put the file with BD so PunBB 1.3.4 converter to find it?

http://kachi-snimka.info/images/arx1290804663q.jpg

neutral ?

B_A_D wrote:

I have a problem. Where should I put the file with BD so PunBB 1.3.4 converter to find it?

Hello,
You can upload your database in phpmyadmin.
I tested, but the sub forums do not work.

If you ever have to worry about, I found a converter phpbb3 to FluxBB, which converts the sub forums as well.
Then just make a db_update of PunBB to FluxBB.

Finally, this converter is that I used.
Here is the link, everything is provided wink http://fluxbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4579

Ps: free for you to choose the one you want;)
Ps2: Excuse me for my poor english.

Nonante wrote:

I had change the dblayer of PunBB line 68 to works because:

Seems like you have posts with more than 700 000 chars in your db. I didn't count with that possibility big_smile But I might fix it in future versions.

Nonante wrote:

2-3 small changes, and it works with the latest version of phpbb (3.0.8).

What were those changes please? I could implement it in the tool...

Jven wrote:

The password hashes is a bit strange tho, it doesn´t work with the passwords copied from the phpbb(3) table, but If I take the passwords from an older installation with phpbb2 it works.

This might be a long shot, since I don't really remember PhpBB2 hashing methods, but - did you installed the phpbb3_login extension? (if so, maybe you can try to reinstall it...)

B_A_D wrote:

What does BD stand for?

Grez wrote:

Seems like you have posts with more than 700 000 chars in your db. I didn't count with that possibility big_smile But I might fix it in future versions.

It's possible, I do not remember ^^

Grez wrote:

What were those changes please? I could implement it in the tool...

I remember that I can add a lot of things in the parser, because we had added bbcode in addition to basic.
I think for this it is best to see that the "case".

Thank you! I tried it on PunBB 1.4 and everything went perfectly well! All the data was converted at 100%! Thanks again!

16 (edited by Ptr 2012-04-09 11:39)

I didn't manage to migrate the posts to my new PunBB 1.4.2 installation. I just get a 0% score. All the rest (PM, Users, Passwords, Topics, Forums etc.) migrated perfectly!

For the record: I'm using phpBB 3.0.10 and I host a forum with about 140.000 posts.

Could you help me? Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

EDIT: Oh, I also tried to migrate to punBB 1.3.4, but that didn't work either.