Topic: Whats the best platform to use?

I want a forum exactly like PunBB, so gave it to my friend to download.
He has a partitioned HD. One OS is Windows, the other is Linux. Whilst we'll be paying for hosting soon anyway, I wanted to see what the boards run like on his own webspace first.

He uses Windows more but when he installed the boards, he found that although the forums loaded correctly, its functions weren't 100% as they should be.

Does this mean that he's best off running the BB on his Linux OS? Its all new to me. All I know is that I trawled HotScripts, and this is the best I've found. All I can do is graphics & the website, I leave this kind of stuff to him tongue

Joe
:n00b alert:

Re: Whats the best platform to use?

PunBB works identically on Windows and Linux. It might be a bit faster in Linux, but that's mainly because of PHP and MySQL (which are a bit more "mature" in Linux).

What functions was it that wasn't working in Windows?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I'm not sure, I will post later with details once I've had a word. He had only just installed it, but the first thing I noticed was that once I had logged in as Admin correctly, it still said "Not logged in", despite successfully redirecting.

Well done on it though, best I've found from near a hundred i've looked at. How often do you usually make new releases?

JoeWesthead wrote:

I'm not sure, I will post later with details once I've had a word. He had only just installed it, but the first thing I noticed was that once I had logged in as Admin correctly, it still said "Not logged in", despite successfully redirecting.

It wasn't just a cache issue then? Did you try refreshing?

Do you use any kind of "domain redirect"?

JoeWesthead wrote:

Well done on it though, best I've found from near a hundred i've looked at. How often do you usually make new releases?

Hehe, thanks :)

I don't know about the releases since 1.0 was the first "real" public release. I'm working on 1.1 now. You can follow the progress here: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2467

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Make sure you are running the latest stable PHP release and clear your browser cache.

-