1 (edited by Jim 2003-09-06 19:42)

Topic: BIG BUG with international charakters and Opera browser (7.10)

Why, when I type my (Czech) special charakters in IE 6.0 - its all right- ?????ýáíé

Re: BIG BUG with international charakters and Opera browser (7.10)

Whell, in my Favourite browser, Opera - ?????ýáíé

AHHHHHHHHH

Go complain at opera.com :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

not a punbb bug, a opera bug...who uses opera anyway?

I use opera... but invision, openbb, vbulletin works well done....?

Hmm, so what you are saying is that if you use Opera and type czech characters, they come out wrong? And this only occurs in PunBB? Sounds very strange. The handling of "special characters" in PunBB is more or less identical to that in InvisionBoard.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

hmm, very very strange, maybe invision and those other boards print stuff out differently.?

No, that's what I was trying to say in my previous post :)

I dont know why, but page coding definitely isn't. I make change to Windows-1250 and nothing.... IMHO is in processing form..... I look to my database... of course, this database is also good target ;]

10 (edited by fly 2003-09-07 06:33)

have you done any research on this issue? perhaps other forums have the same problem?

11 (edited by Jim 2003-09-07 06:38)

Yes I am right, data in the database are wrong...
IE - ????ýáíé
Opera - ?????ýáíé sdh

errr. IE write to database something like :AND character, double cross,269,semicolon, AND character.......

processing form...?

fly wrote:

have you done any research on this issue? perhaps other forums have the same problem?

No, I see this problem first time...

In Invision, special characters are stored in DB exactly as I see in keyboard... not as combination special characters like double cross like IE in PunBB...not as ? in Opera.
I think that is in the inserting/formating text into the DB. I dont know how insert Invision (1.2), but PunBB is different...

I will check it out.

in russian opera is very popular also

Heh, why? Isn't Opera commercial software?

-

Isn't GREAT software?

Firebird does the same things, is lighter and it's free (both as in speech and beer :) so the choice is easy to me.

-

Yes, Firebird rocks. The only problem I have with it is that it takes a while to start up. I'm spoiled by IE that is practically already in memory and thus starts up extremely quick.

Please, no flame Opera/Firebird. I care about storing special (national) characters to DB. Why combination of characters (IE) or completely replace something other (Opera,etc.). Why not one true special (national) character in the DB? One czech character: In my WinXP CZ Alt+0154, in Windows Key Map like a Unicode - U+0161 ... and right character stored in DB: ?. Kennel: You can see in THIS punBB DB-THIS reply- how this character stored...

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand that last post.

look into the database, and see how the s thingy is stored.

It's not an issue concerning the database. I just did some tests and it's definately a problem specific to Opera. It appears Opera does not convert "special characters" to their HTML equivalent like all other browsers do. I don't know how to fix this.

Edit: I just tested this in Invision Board and it doesn't work there either. I don't know where you got that from.

maybe a new else/if statement that tells it what to do when opera is used?

It's not that easy. Opera just gives me jibberish when I enter special characters into a form. Like you said before. If I use Opera and type the following into a message:

?????ýáíé

It comes out as

?????ýáíé

That is the actual text Opera is sending to the webserver.