Topic: PunBB 1.1.2 - Impressions

Post your impressions on PunBB 1.1.2 in this topic. Especially regarding the new release formats.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: PunBB 1.1.2 - Impressions

I think the patch file is really good. Will make it much easier to update a modded version.. Like for me now when I need to update PunBB++ :)

3 (edited by MarcB 2004-02-15 17:44)

diff -crbB punbb-1.1.1/upload/footer.php punbb-1.1.2/upload/footer.php
*** punbb-1.1.1/upload/footer.php    Thu Jan  8 22:43:30 2004
--- punbb-1.1.2/upload/footer.php    Sat Feb 14 02:33:11 2004
*** 72,79 ****
                              <select name="id" onchange="window.location=('viewforum.php?id='+this.options[this.selectedIndex].value)">
  <?php

!     if ($cur_user['status'] < PUN_MOD)
!         $extra = ' WHERE f.admmod_only=\'0\'';

$result = $db->query('SELECT c.id AS cid, c.cat_name, f.id AS fid, f.forum_name FROM '.$db->prefix.'categories AS c INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forums AS f ON c.id=f.cat_id'.$extra.' ORDER BY c.disp_position, c.id, f.disp_position') or error('Unable to fetch category/forum list', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

--- 72,78 ----
                              <select name="id" onchange="window.location=('viewforum.php?id='+this.options[this.selectedIndex].value)">
  <?php

!     $extra_sql = ($cur_user['status'] < PUN_MOD) ? ' WHERE f.admmod_only=\'0\'' : '';

$result = $db->query('SELECT c.id AS cid, c.cat_name, f.id AS fid, f.forum_name FROM '.$db->prefix.'categories AS c INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forums AS f ON c.id=f.cat_id'.$extra.' ORDER BY c.disp_position, c.id, f.disp_position') or error('Unable to fetch category/forum list', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

That must be a bug, if you're renaming it to extra_sql, in the next line it should also be extra_sql instead of extra, right?

Marc

BTW, having the diff file makes a big difference, since I can implement it as if it was a mod, line by line, without having to reapply all my changes. Thanks a lot! smile

You are correct. I'll fix it right away.

Edit: Fixed.

Also, I'm glad you like the diffs. If you are going to go through it manually, I believe it's even easier with the hdiff output: http://punbb.org/download/hdiff/hdiff-1.1.1-1.1.2.html

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Well, it's certainly fancier. Not sure I like it better, though. I'll have to get used to it wink
The problem is that modding only works if there are few changes. If this was a new release, I'd be going through hell to implement it.

BTW, I'm curious about the exit(); lines that you've been adding after the header(Location:...); I thought the parser would never execute code after that, but now I am not so sure it might be the client that upon receipt changes the request. I miss the Server.Transfer and Response.Redirect commands... sniff wink

Marc

Php do executes the code after header(Location:...). I found a bug where the "Views"-counter was increased twice beqause viewtopic.php was parsed twice.

7 (edited by Quizor 2004-02-22 00:27)

I have now moved every release starting from 1.1 into a subversion repository. I didn't bother to start from 1.0 since files has been moved all over the place, but sure it's possible if you know what file moved where.

I'm going to sort out a few minor issues before I post the url to the repo.

shouldent it be mutch esier to let the patch file, patch the already existing punbb forum? so that you dont need the full installation source code.

jag heter inte kaj.
elajten.mine.nu

johni wrote:

shouldent it be mutch esier to let the patch file, patch the already existing punbb forum? so that you dont need the full installation source code.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you just said.

Well, you know those diff files are meant to be applied automatically, that's what he was suggesting, just get the hdiff, apply it... et voilà, IF you don't have any mod installed, that's all.
Dunno, if there's a mod installed, there's a chance that it'll work, and a chance that not, depends on the mod implementation and the lines modified. The beauty of it, is that it allows you to choose what to do, so it's ok with me.

The hdiff's aren't patches, they are visual representations of the differences between two versions. If you want to patch, you should use the patch-files.

Rickard wrote:
johni wrote:

Okej, svenska då tongue

Patch filen, jag trodde att den skulle patcha den redan insatllerade versionen.
Bara ändra i de filer som behövdes. säg att jag har punbb-1.1.1 och vill uppdatera till punbb-1.1.2. då laddar jag ner patch filen och patchar den redan installerade.

eller var det jag som gjorde fel ? big_smile

jag heter inte kaj.
elajten.mine.nu

johni wrote:

Okej, svenska då :P

Bara ändra i de filer som behövdes. säg att jag har punbb-1.1.1 och vill uppdatera till punbb-1.1.2. då laddar jag ner patch filen och patchar den redan installerade.

eller var det jag som gjorde fel ? :D

Lys nyheten på framsidan angående PunBB 1.1.2-releasen.

Rickard wrote:
johni wrote:

Okej, svenska då tongue

eller var det jag som gjorde fel ? big_smile

Lys nyheten på framsidan angående PunBB 1.1.2-releasen.

Beginning with 1.1.2, PunBB will be released in three flavors: full, changed files only and patch. The changed files only archive contains, well, only the files that have changed since the last release. The patch is output from the UNIX command diff and can be used together with the UNIX command patch to automatically patch all affected files. To use the patch, you will need shell access (SSH/telnet) to the server that hosts your forums and access to the UNIX patch application. To patch, upload the patch file onto the server and run the command: "patch -cl -d [punbb_dir] -p1 < [patch_file]". Replace [punbb_dir] with the path to your forums root directory and [patch_file] with the path to the patch file. If the patch for some reason is unable to complete (e.g. if a mod is interfering with the patch), you will have to manually update the affected files.

så jag skulle ha valt "changed files" istället för patchen då?
vet inte riktigt, men jag tycker det framgår att patchen gör det som changed files gör..

jag heter inte kaj.
elajten.mine.nu

johni wrote:

vet inte riktigt, men jag tycker det framgår att patchen gör det som changed files gör..

Alltså jag fattar fan inte vad du menar. "Changed files" innehåller de filer som uppdaterats sedan förra releasen. Patch-filen innehåller information om vad som förändrats i de olika skripten och denna patch-fil kan köras genom unix-kommandot patch som då automatiskt uppdaterar alla filer som är påverkade. Vad är det som är konstigt med det?

Rickard wrote:

LOL

Rickard wrote:
johni wrote:

Alltså jag fattar fan inte vad du menar. "Changed files" innehåller de filer som uppdaterats sedan förra releasen. Patch-filen innehåller information om vad som förändrats i de olika skripten och denna patch-fil kan köras genom unix-kommandot patch som då automatiskt uppdaterar alla filer som är påverkade. Vad är det som är konstigt med det?

strunt samma. allt är ju trots allt löst wink

jag heter inte kaj.
elajten.mine.nu

Hm:)

thanks a lot! the punbb is cool!!!