Re: PunBB 1.2 - What's to come

Will do.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

sourcefrog, oh well...

Elrond wrote:

sourcefrog, oh well...

Yeah, today it's slowwwwwwwwwww.

This forum is great !

I'm waiting for group users big_smile

Any news how it's coming along?

It would be nice to add (without mod)
- Private Message (the actual mod is quite perfect, even if there are some upgrades to do)
- Attachment mod is perfect, and quite light
- Possibility to use all members as a newsletter (via email or mass PM)

That's all in fact : your UBB is perfect, in fact smile

Rod wrote:

- Private Message (the actual mod is quite perfect, even if there are some upgrades to do)

I'm considering it.

Rod wrote:

- Attachment mod is perfect, and quite light

Probably not.

Rod wrote:

- Possibility to use all members as a newsletter (via email or mass PM)

Can be done as an admin module once 1.2 is released.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Yes, a PM function would be just great.

I think PMS is better as a mod, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure Rickard is doing the right decision, he always does :)

PM is important in the sense where you can use only this function to create in same time a newsletter : important for user (in my sense) to inform the evolution of a site, or a forum.

My suggestion
- "Mark all topics read" in the forums

Juan.Llanos wrote:

My suggestion

Do you mean a feature to mark all topics as read in a specific forum only? In that case I can tell you that it most likely won't be added to 1.2.

Rod wrote:

PM is important in the sense where you can use only this function to create in same time a newsletter : important for user (in my sense) to inform the evolution of a site, or a forum.

Why not use e-mail?

Rickard wrote:
Juan.Llanos wrote:

Do you mean a feature to mark all topics as read in a specific forum only? In that case I can tell you that it most likely won't be added to 1.2.

Yes... that.... I think is useful... per example, I'm lookin to a forum, but I don't want to read all the messages... I finish read some posts, and go to another forum, then someone writes a new post or replay in the previous forum how can I see that there's a really new messages?

I can not right to well in english... but I hope that you understand me.

Rickard wrote:
Rod wrote:

Why not use e-mail?

I agree with you... but some times you don't want that other person knows your mail...
and maybe it's faster than mail...

Indeed, we can use email : but pm has advantages
- if someone looses his email (he changes FAI, or anything reason), it can continue to receive messages from the webmaster, of the other members
- some free IMAP4 refuse emails : it's not the case with PM
- not obligation to read an email to have news : so > faster.

As I can write above, it's my point of view.

66 (edited by Elrond 2004-07-24 13:42)

I like it, that PunBB doesn't have PM.

It even has an email form. which sends an email to people in the name of a logged in user.

My forum isn't intended as a private messaging system.
And it's also not intended as a file store.

Oh, and mail is fast nowadays. If your mail is slow, your provider *censored*.

67 (edited by Jansson 2004-07-24 15:00)

Well.. using newsletter with PM seems pretty stupid to me. For me, newsletters are sent out to people to make them know whats going on at the site, so they don't have to visit them all the time when there is no updates. If they would have to go to the site to read that newsletter the newsletter loses its value. Because everybody can read what's new on the site in the news system which will be implemented.

News system?

Hey, I thought, the whole thing wouldn't be too bloated?

Elrond wrote:

News system?

Hey, I thought, the whole thing wouldn't be too bloated?

Trust me, it won't be bloated. The news system will work similar to extern.php. I.e, you dedicate a forum to news and then on your site front page, you include news.php with a few parameters and it will output a few topics from the news forum onto your frontpage. It will require nothing more than the addition of one file. Someone has actually done this for PunBB 1.1.* already. You can find it in the mod release forum.

Edit: Here it is.

Rickard wrote:

you include news.php with a few parameters

I've looked at the code examples in that thread over there.
And found a nice "$punroot = ..." there.

I hope the new news.php will not be vulnerable to the register_globals fun?

p.s.: Shouldn't we move the 1.2 details discussion somewhere else?

I've heard much about register_globals, but don't understand what it is or what to do to protect your sites from this kind of exploits. Can anyone explain that to me or give me a link where I can read it?

>SQLite support

good but

is that mean depend on PHP5, i hope no?

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

I think the idea is to allow people who have php5 with SQLite but not mysql to run PunBB. For people with mysql everything will work as before.

Madoor wrote:

I've heard much about register_globals, but don't understand what it is or what to do to protect your sites from this kind of exploits. Can anyone explain that to me or give me a link where I can read it?

http://www.goweb.com.au/faq/registerglobals/

ok, thx