Re: PunBB 1.2 - What's to come

Todd wrote:

It's just clean!

"There are two ways of constructing a software design; one way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult." ~C. A. R. Hoare~

I promise.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

hcgtv wrote:

"There are two ways of constructing a software design; one way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult." ~C. A. R. Hoare~

Or you could just establish a virtual monopoly in which case you don't have to care.

Paul wrote:

Or you could just establish a virtual monopoly in which you don't have to care.

Let's hope that doesn't ever happen again.

Meilad wrote:

just a request that you not let this drag on for like 10 years like our buddies at Fusion.

No complaints here - take as long as you like.
The price is right so I want you to be happy, Rickard.

hcgtv wrote:
Paul wrote:

Or you could just establish a virtual monopoly in which you don't have to care.

Let's hope that doesn't ever happen again.

Amen brother!

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

Why can't you release a beta version or something? I need  a forum that supports SQLite now. I can't wait for it.

Is it possible to get a betaversion sent to my e-mail?

I don't care about small bugs and such. I'm able to fix them myself if they exist, but I don't have time to mod your current release to support SQLite.

Bah, IIS and MSSQL... -_-

A development release will be available within a few days. Please bear in mind that the code is far from complete. There are lots of more features and tweaks to implement.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I need it today... hmm

Why today? It's hardly ready for production use anyway.

Hmm..

I don't have a reason other than that the forum I'm replacing have been down too long already.

Oh well, I can try to mod the durrent release to SQLite..

Don't you have access to MySQL or PostgreSQL then?

No, I have access to MSSQL. Nothing more. I don't want to use MSSQL either.

Ok. I'm sorry, but I can't give you access to the source just yet. It wouldn't even install in it's current state. I have some minor tinkering to do. I might release a first developer version tomorrow night. It all depends on how much time my girlfriend will grant me to by the computer :)

Ok, I'll continue to work on the mod. If you release it then I would probably only use it to get some hints on how to use SQLite anyway.

I wish there was a SQLite mod available.. hmm

Are you running your own webserver? if so could you setup mysql? if not how about setting up punbb on some other hosting temporarily and then when 1.2 is out properly moving back to your webserver?

142 (edited by Goomba 2004-08-30 15:40)

It's not my server. It's not my forum actually. I'm just admin there.

Anyway, someone I know managed to find the PunBB++ code somewhere. It supports SQLite.

I'm currently working on the feature that deletes all posts made by a specific user and I just realised the amount of work involved in doing that. Jesus! It's not just a matter of deleting all posts made by him from the posts table.

If a post is in the "middle of a topic", e.g. not the first post and not the last post, we can just delete it.

If a post is the first post, we have to delete all posts in that topic and the topic itself. We then update lastpost/lastposter for the forum in which the topic was placed (if it was the "newest" topic that is).

If a post is the last post, we have to delete the post and then update lastpost/lastposter for the topic. We might also have to update lastpost/lastposter for the forum in which the topic is placed.

Then, finally, we have to strip all those posts out of the search index.

What have I gotten myself into! :)

Edit: Oh, I forgot. We also have to decrement the post count for the topic :)

Edit2: It's done. I moved some code from delete.php into functions and called them instead of doing it all over again.

When you detele a user the posts won't be deleted right!?

not at the moment i don't think thats a feature that rickard is working on now

Madoor wrote:

When you detele a user the posts won't be deleted right!?

It's done (or at least almost done) in v1.2. You can choose (via a checkbox) to delete the posts or not when removing the user.

ok. Don't want destroy the threads the user has posted in by deleting posts in it...

Madoor: You will want the feature when you've been away from the forums for a couple of days and someone has posted 400 spam posts :)

i assume it will be an option to delete or not delete posts

Rickard wrote:

Madoor: You will want the feature when you've been away from the forums for a couple of days and someone has posted 400 spam posts smile

hehe, sure will wink Just didn't want it to allways delet the users posts.