Topic: Take a look

Just stumbled across this site. Note the demo forum and the copyright. At least they appear to be setting it up for free.

http://www.forenhost24.de/

Re: Take a look

Hmmm since RIckard allows changing the copyright line, that's not infringement of GPL, not because of that. However, he should make the sources available (note the version number!). That is GPL infringement.

JFYI, I think the GPL copyright holders have their own lawyers and all the necessary circus. Not that I suggest applying it here, but in case things go sour, they are very wary of that, since any unwanted but forcefully permitted GPL infringement would lead to a very unpleasant situation for all GPL programmers in the world.

OTOH, that site particularly seems to be from a private person that's starting his own business, and offers free setups. He doesn't say he sells the source, or anything like that, so it's a mild infringement IMHO.

Up to Rick, anyway. He's the copyright holder. smile

Well, the fact that there is no download link for his version makes me a bit mad (because it defeats the whole purpose of the GPL). I'll send off an e-mail and see what he has to say.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

On second thought. I'll just leave it and check back in a few weeks. If he has gotten any "customers", I'll take it up with him.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Well, either that or he'll read this thread wink