Topic: i want a traditional chinese language pack

RT

Re: i want a traditional chinese language pack

Yes, me too. Daclis did a pack for PunBB 1.0, but he hasn't updated it for 1.1 afaik.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I'm working on one, actually. Started just now, but it seems some of the stuff may look odd, considering that I've never used PunBB before. On the other hand, if I can produce a language pack without even knowing PunBB, then I must congratulate Mr Andersson. The oddities of my translation will just have to be ironed out once I get it up and running myself. Then I'll see if Mr Andersson would like to put it up or not. I'm translating from 1.1.3, using zh-tw as the name of the language pack, since that seems to be the "correct"(?) code. (The code for simplified chinese would be zh-cn, if I'm not mistaken.)

Oh and here's a little more on the differences between TC and SC (traditionsl & simplified). Other than appearences and encoding, cultural differences (the two sets have been developing more or less independently for many decades since the 1950's) also come in to play. So it would be incorrect to simply take a filter and convert between the encodings.

Finally, I'm still wondering whether I should specify Big-5 or utf-8 as the document encoding...

Ah, great.

You should go with Big-5 for the encoding.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

5 (edited by Alrescha 2004-04-24 15:21)

Right, the language pack is finished and available for download here: Traditional Chinese Language Pack for PunBB 1.1.3 (Updated to be the same file as on PunBB.org)

Also, feel free to check out this lanuage pack in action here: Alrescha Experimental (Chinese Big5 encoding, here the DNS was updated only yesterday, so non-Asian visiters may have to wait a week or so.)

Some comments:

Stopwords: can't really figure out any word that will be meaningful as a stopword in Chinese, so I just left it the same as the English version.

Admin interface: any plans on extending language packs to include the admin interface? Or am I missing something altogether? big_smile

Excellent!

Regarding the stopwords, that's ok. I'll shorten it down a bit to only include the top ten english stopwords to improve performance.

See the front page.

I've made some small modifications to your pack, so if you ever make a new version, please base it on the one downloadable from this server.

OK, thanks. I've grabbed it off PunBB.org and eliminated all traces of the old version big_smile. Will use it as base for any modifications.

I must say I'm really impressed by how easy it is to localize PunBB, at least for the user. Really good work!

I forgot to answer the part about the admin interface. There are currently no plans of making that part translatable as well. It's quite a bit of work both on my part and for potential translators. We'll see.

I see. Maybe when 1.2 is out I'll do a admin translation mod or just do a Chinese fork of some sort from 1.2, I'll have to see what's possible, if I get the time, which from the amount of work in there, looks rather unlikely. big_smile