Topic: Allow users to choose a password when registering

I've searched for this but haven't found it listed (perhaps my search of password AND choose AND register wasn't the right one), so apologies if it's already here and I've missed it:

I'd like to let my users choose their own password when initially registering and activating the user with a magic link in the notification e-mail instead of sending out an auto-generated password.

Has there been any thought discussion on this? Are there reasons this is a Bad Idea that I might be missing?

Re: Allow users to choose a password when registering

Well, my view on this is that if a user is forced to verify his/her registration via e-mail, the forum might as well generate a secure password for him/her on the fly. Logging in with the password in the verification e-mail and then changing it right away isn't too much trouble.

Also, adding the ability to have users enter their own password yet still require verification via e-mail will lead to at least one more admin option and an additional e-mail template for verification e-mails without the password. I'm not sure it's worth it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I can certainly understand (and commend) the desire to avoid Yet Another Option. I agree that it makes little difference to one level of users, but for newer BB users it might be a material difference. Changing your password is layered under several clicks (Profile, Change password) when you are logged in.

I guess phpBB allows this because it came up today when several people commented they wished it worked that way.

Keep it in mind on the "maybe" list for some future release I guess - I can always hack it into my install if I decide it's worth it.

Yes, I will.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."