1 (edited by deusiah 2005-06-16 13:47)

Topic: Logicfury (Lightweight CMS) and PunBB

First up, hello everyone!

After being very impressed with punbb (just came accross it) I thought I would make a post about it, with a few questions I have of course wink

First up, congrats Rickard. I'm assuming you coded this youself so yes, congrats are due. I have taken a quick glance over the code its clean and well structured which is my favorte type of course.

I stumbled upon punbb from hotscripts.com. I was looking for a simple forum software on which I could get a few ideas from how to go about making my own. I myself run phpbb for my sites forums (yes I know, the dreaded phpbb lol). phpbb is too big and too messy in my opinion but it does have some great mods. Its nice however to see that people still care about performance unlike some of the bigger boards who assume that we all run their software on deul xeon dedicated servers.

I have had my fair share of problems with php-nuke (what I run my site on) and phpbb. I have been kicked of two servers because they use far to much resources. In the end I was forced to optimise both systems. My php-nuke copy runs on around 10-20 querys instead of the original 300+ and I have implemented a query caching method too. Even with all this though my site is still to slow. This is what lead me to start work on my own CMS but one thats concentrated around performance. Its going well so far and I currently have a few modules coded such as a photo gallery and shopping cart with the forums being my next coding venture (hence my being here doing research into a range forum scripts, so far this is the only one I have found that I am impressed with mind) At any time I don't believe the site uses more than five querys and often uses none due to query caching and the performance is as good as I had hoped for.

And so on to my questions. What is punbb like for querys? Yes I know I could have coded a quick little counter but 1. I'm at work now (shhh) and 2. I prefer finding out this way as sometimes a conversation can lead to other areas smile Also are the any great finds you have stumbled across whilst coding the fourms? Things like great ways to go about doing things.

Well, thanks for you time and thank you for the effort put in to coding these forums (I know how trying it can be sometimes wink )

Deusiah

Re: Logicfury (Lightweight CMS) and PunBB

Have you tried debug mode? It gives you good information about queries.

Hi Deusiah,

Is there a place where we can see your CMS?
Like many, I am looking for a fast and lightweight quality cms, that can really be installed and maintained by a non-technical mind like mine ;-)
Any other ideas most welcome too!

best regards,
Bert.

No Jansson until you mentioned it I hadn't even heard of it so thanks for the info I'll give it a go.

Bert at the moment Im still working on it, theres not even a beta release out yet there would have been by now but I have only recently got back into coding it, been too busy before. Actually what made you think I was going public with it, and further more did you think it would be free?

Good guesses then wink I *should* have my version of it up sometime over the weekend. Its ready I just don't know if I will have the time. Anyway I can always show you a screenshot: http://logicfury.com/sshot1.gif. You'll have to pardon the ugly boarder around it, thats not meant to be there thats there becuase it was in the program when I took it and I couldn't be botherd to get rid of it wink

BTW, thats not the proper theme, I just felt like making a PunBB theme, I think I'd have to get permission though if I wanted to use it though.

How soon I get it released all depends on if I include forums or not. If I don't then it should be out in around a month which is a long time I know but its a lot of work for one guy to do as is this fourm big_smile

As for alternatives, you could try www.e-xoops.com I think its better than xoops and the performance is better than nuke (what isn't though? lol)

Chacmool edit: Changed screenshot url

The screenshot link is broken

deusiah: I'm glad you like PunBB. As Jansson noted you can get a reading on the number of queries executed per page by enabling DEBUG mode in include/common.php.

I'm currently working on PunBB 1.2 (albeit at a slow rate due to university work) and one of the things I've focused on is getting the number of queries down. I've implemented a simple file-based caching scheme for some of the more persistant data (configuration, category/forum lists etc). When visiting the forum as a guest, most pages run 4 to 5 queries. When browsing as a user it's usually one and sometimes two more per page. When used together with a PHP bytecode caching program such as Turck MMCache, this caching gives quite a decent speed boost on most of the pages.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hi again Deusiah,

Thanks for your info!
Hope you can restore the link.
All the big name-cms systems are way too complicated for me and most of the "small names" too simple or crude.
I like the work of Alex in Germany :    http://alex.ilosuna.org/index.html, but wouldn't know how to tie these scripts into a coherent cms.

Looking forward to see your creations,

best,
Bert.

Jansson it appears my server was down for a bit, should be working fine now.

Thanks Rickard! thats exactly what I wanted to know. Nice to see you had the same idea of a file based caching system as I had. You have really put some thought into optimising this! I have yet to implement a caching program. The currect performance of my CMS is good but could be better. I have no doubt that it will improve with further development.

Thanks for your intrest Bert. You suggested addmin punBB to my CMS in the email you sent me. To do this would require a lot of coding (to do it properly that is) I'm not sure if I would be able to do it anyway. Its all up to Rickard I guess. I do like the idea though. Since both projects focus on performance I think the pair would make a great package.

That CMS system is looking nice :)

Thanks, I put a very basic version of it up at http://www.logicfury.com today. Theres nothing to see there really. All the work is in the admin section. I plan to put some screenshots up of this in the gallery.

What I need to do is get a forum on there. I'll use PunBB of course but I havn't decided how to build it into the site yet.

that looks very nice big_smile

i was wondering what do u guys think of MamboServer , is it better then phpnuke ?

yes mambo server is better, and its great!

deusiah wrote:

Thanks, I put a very basic version of it up at http://www.logicfury.com today. Theres nothing to see there really. All the work is in the admin section. I plan to put some screenshots up of this in the gallery.

What I need to do is get a forum on there. I'll use PunBB of course but I havn't decided how to build it into the site yet.

It doesn't work all that good in FireBird: http://dr-slizer.no-ip.com/stash/bug.jpg smile

"Real programmers are those that can sleep in front of terminals ... with their eyes opened."

"Real programmers don't work from 9 to 5. If any real programmers are around at 9am it's because they were up all night."

14 (edited by Falconey 2004-05-14 14:16)

I like your cms, the caching seems to run quite good. 0 queries, nice smile

You could look at geeklog sometime, geeklog uses a dir outside of public_html for config files, logfiles, etc.

In the style sheet,

.body {
    background:#F4F4F4;
    height:100px;
    border:1px solid #D7D7D7;
    border-top:0px;
    padding:10px;
    margin-bottom:10px;
}

The height: 100px is causing the problem. deusiah needs to just remove it.

Hmm, thanks for the info guys. Sorry I forgot to check back.

Things are looking good, I am about to port my nuke site to LogicFury for a real test, lets see how it copes with 25,000+ members and 30,000 hits a day lol.

Anyway... theres one prob, My forum. Its phpBB or rather Nuke phpBB. Obviously I want it to be integrated into LogicFury so that means making one run on ones sessions and user table. Not too fun sad

At the moment I am considering dropping phpBB too depending on the answer to my question which is...

Is anyone familiar enough with the code of punBB and phpBB to advise which would be easier to integrate with a CMS?

Thanks,

Looks good if you could fix that CSS error wink You may want to know if you ever release this... the proper plural of "query" is "queries" wink

Hmm, I did post a reply to this but its dissapeared lol.

Anyway, I went with phpBB in the end. Its all set up now and works rather well big_smile

However, I am still intrested in adding punBB and so would still like some info on it. How are the sessions managed? Are they called from a funtion and so on.

I think PunBB is easy to integrate into other systems. I don't know exactly what you want to do with it as your website (?) only contains the forum now, but it's no problem to access user information from pages outside the forum.

Well you think it only contains a forum,. just becuase you don't know the address to the site dosn't mean its not there wink

Im just coding a few more features before its up but it should be soon. Well I guessed it wouldn't be a problem accessing the user info, a db query is a db query but I was wondering if its a simple as using a funtion? I guess I am only going to find out this answer by looking at the code so I should stop being so lazy and look.

I have my CMS set up in such a way that I have written a class that uses phpBB's session managment functions along with my CMS's. This way the forum is totally independant and so is the CMS not like a certain version *cough* BBtoNuke *cough* that I know of. What a bad idea that was, take a decent forum. Mod it to make it use double the queries and require normal phpBB mods to be ported.

All this time I thought phpBB was amazingly slow until I converted my forum to phpBB standalone, what a suprise! lol.

Anyway... thats kind of off-topic so here is my next ques. phpBB to punBB? Anyone done it before, any pitfalls I should be aware of?

deusiah wrote:

Well you think it only contains a forum,. just becuase you don't know the address to the site dosn't mean its not there ;)

As I suspected :)

deusiah wrote:

Well I guessed it wouldn't be a problem accessing the user info, a db query is a db query but I was wondering if its a simple as using a funtion?

It's easier. Example: Put this code at the top of the page...

$pun_root = './';
require $pun_root.'include/common.php';

...to use the userinfo like this:

if($cur_user['status'] < PUN_ADM)
   ...do stuff...

echo $cur_user['username'];

if($cookie['is_guest'])
   ...do something...
deusiah wrote:

Anyway... thats kind of off-topic so here is my next ques. phpBB to punBB? Anyone done it before, any pitfalls I should be aware of?

There's some. PunBB does not have groups, so they're gone. Also, the converter don't convert moderator info. Other than that, it's easy (I wrote the converter... so for me it's easy :D)

Thanks for the info Chacmool. much appreciated big_smile

I guess I might be able to do it by just using one file with a bit of luck smile

I might just look into this convertor though I can't stand the idea that a convertor may have missed somthing out and so usually do it manually but Im also lazy so I'll see lol.

I think I'll be porting my forums which means a lot more porting, such things as the shop mod and my roulette game, its just not a fourm without them lol. I think I shall wait till I code my PM feature though, can't imagine my site without it.

Nothing like conjouring up old topics from the dead eh? lol

So... many many months later and I still have no public release of this CMS. I do however have a near fully working (near fully as in every thing works, just need to add a few more features to existing modules) version up and running.

With the porting of the sites fourms I decided not to go ahead with it as it really would create a lot of work where porting mods are concerned.

As for the punBB intregation I would still like to do that. That is I would like to create a bridge file that enables the user to easily intregate their existing forum whether it be pubBB, phpBB or whatever I decide to code. At the moment I only have plans for punBB and phpBB (which has already been intregated to some extent).

Chacmool, looking again at the code you posted. It looks like it would work great for my planned bridge file. Chances are when I get my CMS's homepage up and running that will be using punBB. No need for a shop mod or roulette mod there you see wink When it comes down to it, pun's still my favorite (or at least will be when the PM feature is finished big_smile )

Just thought I'd make an update incase anyone is interested (tumbleween rolls past....).

I have a pre-release version of Logicfury 0.5 ready for those that ask for it. I have opted to go with phpBB as the default forums due to lack of PM support however I have also included support for punBB. The login is bridged and I will soon be porting the blocks to work with punBB.

deusiah wrote:

Just thought I'd make an update incase anyone is interested (tumbleween rolls past....).

I have a pre-release version of Logicfury 0.5 ready for those that ask for it. I have opted to go with phpBB as the default forums due to lack of PM support however I have also included support for punBB. The login is bridged and I will soon be porting the blocks to work with punBB.

no, why with phpbb?
i hate phpbb... don't do that tongue