Topic: smilies - feedback please

I figured it would be nice if PunBB had it's very own set of smilies, instead of just using the same standard set you've seen in so many other forums - so I made these.

http://www.mindplay.dk/smilies.gif

If you would like, I would be honoured to donate these to PunBB! smile

Re: smilies - feedback please

I'm no big fan of image-smilies, i prefer old-fashioned text emoticons, but I actually like mindplays smilies, they are a bit more warm and friendly than the standart set. Well done :D

3 (edited by Andy 2004-05-24 08:49)

Excellent work smile I would love to have those... apart from the two seperate tongue smileys. Would be better if the one with a red tongue was set to both tongue and tongue. Just my opinion though.

I always thought :p looks like a tongue, but :P looks more like a cheeky kinda cartoon mouth? your tongue would never come out of the mouth sideways like that ... I think most people who intend it to look like a tongue use the small "p"?

Should I make a few more, maybe? Stuff like "cool" (sunglasses) gets used a lot normally, but I don't like having to write ":cool:" or something similar ... is there a "graphical" way to write "cool"? Also, "idea" - any idea how to write that "graphically"?

What about 8) ?

and a rolleyes one smile

7 (edited by mindplay 2004-05-24 14:17)

8) could be "cool", yeah - or B)

as for rolleyes - I find that animated smileys (or any kind of animated icons for that matter) draw attention where it shouldn't be. Although I guess I could still do one that looks up and to the side, as if rolling eyes ... but how to write it? I dislike textual emoticons like ":rolleyes:" - as soon as you start to add those, you can add like a million different smileys, but then you gotta ask yourself why you're translating emoticons to smileys in the first place? I mean, the idea is not to provide an "art gallery" of images you can plaster your page with, is it? the idea, for me, is to translate "lingo" into something everyone can understand.

yikes roll is eeeeeeeesential! And it can be done without animation, effectively too.

I like them too. One thing I don't like is the fact that they look a bit "squared". Also, they must have a black border because they must work on different background colors.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

I like them too. One thing I don't like is the fact that they look a bit "squared". Also, they must have a black border because they must work on different background colors.

Yeah.. smilies should be round :)

Sometimes they look good square... I saw an example of a set of square ones the other day. smile

uh, but they are round?

and they do have a black border?

I can make them smoother of course - they are a bit pixelated ... but I can't make the outer rim smooth, since the outer pixels have to be completely black in order to work with any background color. So then the entire rim needs to be fully pixelated, since otherwise the thickness of the rim will vary. Hmm, tricky. I'll see what I can do, and post new ones tomorrow...

Yes, that's the problem. You can't have grey pixels outside the black border. Here's a suggestion (original to the left):

http://punbb.org/stuff/smiliey.png

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

yeah, that's basically what I ended up with - refresh and see the updated GIF at the top of this page.

unfortunately, the aliased version looks terrible on LCD monitors. it's acceptable on oldskool tube monitors of course, but oversharp and "edgy" looking on LCDs.

also, I'm not really satisfied with :rolleyes: but that's the best I could do ... drawing the whites around the eyes to make it appear more like looking upwards, looks terrible, not suitable for this style at all. hm...

16 (edited by Simple Exploding Man 2004-05-25 08:15)

For :rolleyes: try drawing the eyebrows. Not easy but could be done. I'd move the ) in :) a bit downwards because it's way too "up", and make the D in :D and the O in :O (:O looks scared not surprised!) a bit less "square".

Nice work :).

I tried eyebrows too, looks weird, and doesn't make it look like he's looking upwards - I can't make it work ...

You could give it a try maybe?

Btw, come to think about the slightly displeased smiley ...

:-/

I think I should include him too?

No luck, it looks cool instead :(.

What's wrong with the eyes on this one? roll

I think the round aliased is the best so far. Don't know about LCD though

that one is fine - but I already tried copying the face from that onto mine, and it just doesn't look right for some reason ... I guess painting the whites in the eyes is probably the only way to go though, so I'll try again tonight smile

:rolleyes: finally looks okay, I think? :)

sticking with the round aliased versions then - here's the complete set:

http://www.mindplay.dk/smilies.gif

Perfect big_smile

looks good,
but I'm going to stick with the "good 'ol ones" ... partly because it looks like someone has a flashlight shining on them from below, and also I like the 'simpleness' and consistency on the normal ones ... (normally in all computerstuff the icons, buttons etc. is lit from top/top-left)
but for those that want a bit more flashy, I think they'll like these smile

good point. I'll try moving the light/shade around - I'll put up an alternative version tomorrow, then we'll see what the others think smile