Topic: queries in punBB

At the moment, many BB's are slicing off queries on their boards faster than I can blink; If I can remember rightly, IPB 2.0 had 5 queries on the index page(!) and phpBB 2.2 has 10 queries...

Which leaves punBB weighing in at 9 queries. (this is all measured when logged out) now  I know this is only on the index... but due to punBB offering a much smaller featurelist than IPB + phpBB, shouldn't there be an even smaller amount of queries?

Looking at threads, punBB measures even worse... 13 queries against phpBB 2.2's 11.

Probably me just being stupid, but just something I keep on noticing.

Re: queries in punBB

Look at the changelog for 1.2. ctrl+f for queries and query :)

Also, please note that one query isn't always preferable to two queries. Two simple and quick queries can sometimes be benificial to one overly complex query that might require heavy indexing of the database.

In it's current state, PunBB 1.2 runs this many queries in it's default configuration:

Logged in users
index.php: 9
viewforum.php: 6
viewtopic.php: 7

Guests
index.php: 7
viewforum.php: 4
viewtopic.php: 5

I might be able to reduce the number of queries for logged in users on all pages by one, but I have more testing to do.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I just did smile But I don't think even all that stuff has brought it down below IPB... and even so, barely below phpBB.

Btw, there are some nice features in that changelog...

I updated my previous post with some numbers.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Thats more like it! *grins*

Damn you, I need 1.2. Any idea of a release date?

Sometime this summer. I will hopefully be finished with my thesis at the end of next week. Then I'll have much more time to devote to PunBB.

One more thing. viewtopic.php is without a doubt the most frequently visited page in bulletin boards so optimizing that one is a priority.

Sometime this summer. I will hopefully be finished with my thesis at the end of next week. Then I'll have much more time to devote to PunBB.

Cool. Looking forward to it...

One more thing. viewtopic.php is without a doubt the most frequently visited page in bulletin boards so optimizing that one is a priority.

Agreed. And from reading those statistics above, you have made some big improvements...

I'll do some basic performance testing when I get the time. We all love statistics don't we? :)

Edit: Come to think of it, I already ran some test with and without the caching feature. The graphs are located here: http://www.foruminsider.com/forums/inde … wtopic=183