Topic: username/password, important addition to descriptions on forms

in lang\en_register.php, I would suggest adding a comment about which characters are allowed, e.g.:

'Username info'                =>    'Usernames can be between 2 and 25 characters long. Please use only characters a-z, A-Z and 0-9.',
'Pass info 1'                =>    'Passwords can be between 4 and 16 characters long. Passwords are case sensitive. Please use only characters a-z, A-Z and 0-9.',

we've had chinese and russian users, among others, who were confused about this when they were trying to register...

Re: username/password, important addition to descriptions on forms

Other characters are permitted however, e.g., '?'.

well, whatever characters are permitted then smile ... it should list them.

Its better to restrict while registering itself... When we add special characters, it will look odd... smile

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

I disagree, I have a user named ~¿, lol. Why not? We have different alphabets out there, ¡¿çüèâñ?!.

Usernames are OK as long as they don't

- contain BBCode
- look like an IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
- equal "Guest" or the locale equivalent of guest
- contain a [ or a ] and a " and a '. I.e. (([ or ]) && " && '))

Informing people about that will just confuse them even more.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

you're right, any characters (except the logically illegal ones named by Rickard here) are allowed in usernames - I got this bug report from a user, and it turns out he was talking about the subject, not the username. sorry about the confusion then, there's no problem at all! smile

(feel free to close this thread)