Topic: Show/Hide Category

what about this?
an example of what i mean can be found here
categories can be hidden by clicking the minus image

Re: Show/Hide Category

Why?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Why?

some user could be not interested in some forums, hiding them would reduce page load (at least i think)

The only possible use I could see for that would be a huge board with a large number of categories and forums within each category. Say something that would fill several screens vertically. Even then all it does is save some vertical scrolling. The number of people who might want to use PunBB for such a forum is probably minute as they will almost certainly use a board which supports sub-categories.

I would have thought that the impact on page load would be exactly the opposite as we are talking javascript/dhtml/styleswitching.

Yes, it will increase page loading time, not the opposite. It depends on how you do it, but if you do it client-side (the most common solution), it will make the pages larger.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Just a thought. Say somebody has a huge forum with say 30 categories and a lot of forums within each category. Wouldn't the best solution be to customize PunBB to add an extra level of navigation. Index would only list categories. Click on a category and it takes you to a viewcategory.php which lists the forums within that category. From then on everything would work as normal.

I'd say the person having 30 categories with lots of forums in each category is stupid :) Nobody likes lots and lots of forums.

8 (edited by rollonequick 2007-04-30 18:01)

Rickard wrote:

I'd say the person having 30 categories with lots of forums in each category is stupid smile Nobody likes lots and lots of forums.

THATS FUNNY!

http://www.punres.org/desc.php?pid=40

Here is the way to do it.. WOrks great to!!

I will have over 300 forums .... Each forum is a game title for xbox 360 ps2 ps3 xbox.. so thats what I needed it for..