1 (edited by newera70 2004-06-15 17:40)

Topic: Mac/Apple Programming

2 questions

1. do you need a mac/apple to program for those type of computers?
2. is there a good book on programming for macs/apples?

Re: Mac/Apple Programming

Isn't the mac based on Unix?
If it is, Im sure you can write some programs in linux and they will work on Macs. However, because the Mac architecture is proprietery, it might not work as expected. Also, I belive the OSX GUI is proprietery and you need a special SDK for that.

Do, or do not.

It depends on what type of applications you want to write. If you mean graphical apps for MacOS X, then yes, you will need a Mac with MacOS X. However, if you program console applications in ANSI C, they should work fine on any operating system as long as you stay away from "exotic" libraries and stuff.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

4 (edited by middleground 2004-06-15 22:53)

for the Record- under the hood of OX-X is FreeBSD.

Best place to start is apple itself:
http://developer.apple.com/

and tools:
http://developer.apple.com/tools/macosxtools.html

http://developer.apple.com/documentatio … TP30000415

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

I wanna make progs like FTP progs for mac and i wanna make virus scanners and like spyware remover progs like that maybe a music player like real player i have windows so i will have to buy a mac to make progs right?

is there any software in windows that we can do apple programming?

dun think so

hao hao wrote:

is there any software in windows that we can do apple programming?

8 (edited by nobody0633 2004-06-16 06:46)

nothing is needed?

so how can you progRAM FOR APPLE/MAC USING windows

Quessing compiler like Codewarrior and using C...or maybe Java

If you read through the developement links I posted above, you may get a better idea of what is involved.

I'm also wondering WHY you would code on one platform for another....how the heck would you test it???

Actually your right about i couldnt test it but i am getting a mac soon anyways, can you post places i can learn to make programs like instant messangers ftp virus scaning progs for windows ....

I am learning Java and C++

Learn *nix command shell programming aswell.

Do, or do not.

nix?? can you point me in the direction to learn about it

15 (edited by middleground 2004-06-19 02:48)

newera70 wrote:

Actually your right about i couldnt test it but i am getting a mac soon anyways, can you post places i can learn to make programs like instant messangers ftp virus scaning progs for windows ....

Sorry, can't help you there. curl up with a big book on C smile

As a note- if you're serious about programming, which I'm beginning to doubt, you best learn to use google and amazon books.

*nix means Unix/Linux. Because the backbone of OSX is BSD, which is a variant of Unix, You need to learn shell comands as well

Do, or do not.

middleground wrote:

As a note- if you're serious about programming, which I'm beginning to doubt, you best learn to use google and amazon books.

wtf you talking about i am serious about it i just dont know were to start i have a book on C++ now is it better than C?

newera70 wrote:
middleground wrote:

wtf you talking about i am serious about it i just dont know were to start i have a book on C++ now is it better than C?

Well- wtf i was thinking was it seems you have specific items you want to program. Not specific programming resources, but resources to writing to your task. I seriously doubt you will find an whitepapaers posted on these topics, or any "how to write a virus program" websites. Just seems you want a "quick" solution to a what will be a very long term project.

In addition, I'm slightly skeptical (perhaps paranoid) about people focusing on ftp, virus software, messaging. Three different "concepts" that generally only come together for virus/worm writing. Sorry- but my first thought was this is a wanna be hacker.

In my opinion, if you're serious, you first decide on language you want to focus on (which I guess is C/C++). And you'll learn all you can about, by reading topics (ie the google reference), visiting developer forums (again ie the google reference), and by doing (doing what?- "hello world", first application compiled, windowing, API to the OS, etc.). Granted some here can point you to some some good reference points, but you'll need to do the digging.

As specific links to "how to write a xxxxx program". Not gonna find it. I think you need to decide what the program is to do, and incorporate that into your program. For example- FTP is gonna need to communicate with other computers of various OS's- so one would need to learn that. Will be listing files- will need to learn that. etc...

Sorry if I offended you, perhaps just tired of the "save me a bunch of time by telling me how to do this" generation on the internet these days. I saw this thread heading right down that path. Again, my apologies if incorrect.

Your forgiven I just don't want it to be a mockery i have 2 books one on Java and one on C++ what would be a better choice to make programs with? Can you make .exe files with both? I am still very unsure what kinda program i want to make... All i know is something useful and it will be free i can't stress the fact that thier are not enough free progs that are clean and no logged or anything...

Macs dont use exe files.

Do, or do not.

zc923 wrote:

Macs dont use exe files.

Maybe not files ending in .exe, but they surely use executable files :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

no, im pretty sure the use "./". It may look all nice front end, but deep down, its all unix.

Do, or do not.

zc923 wrote:

no, im pretty sure the use "./". It may look all nice front end, but deep down, its all unix.

It have been said serveral times in this thread that OSX is *nix, you don't need to say it once more time. And "./" doesn't mean anything more than "the folder you are currently in + slash".

"Real programmers are those that can sleep in front of terminals ... with their eyes opened."

"Real programmers don't work from 9 to 5. If any real programmers are around at 9am it's because they were up all night."

24 (edited by zc923 2004-06-20 23:18)

When you execute in command line, you use "./".
Example: "./configure"

And yea, I think I did over emphisize the the *nix Part.

Do, or do not.

dude im talkng about windows now not mac