Topic: search for string...

I didn't know really where to post this. But I guess this is where I should put this question (if not in feature requests forum).
Pehaps I've just forgotten to read about it somewhere...

I'm a little annoyed about the fact that I can't seem to search for a specific string in the Search page on the forum. It seems that I can only search for words. Using a lot of boolean operators in between doesn't help much since the words are searched for independently in the document. Anyone has had a thought about this before? Or is it just me lacking of knowledge?

No electrons were harmed in the creation of this post.
However, many were excited and some may have enjoyed the experience.

Re: search for string...

Not being able to search for complete strings is unfortunate, but there's not much I can do to "fix it". When a message is posted, it is broken down into words that are then indexed. When you search for a word, the database fetches all posts that contain that word instead of searching through all the text (which is very, very slow). The only really simple way to implement string searching is to use the built in fulltext indexing feature in different databases, but that would require specific implementations for each database and I don't want that.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by Razmooze 2004-06-24 20:29)

Hmmm.... it sure indeed sounds complicated. Hmmm... to bad. Maybe it is possible to go around this with some tricks or so, who knows... yikes)
I've got a feeling I will have to dig in deep into the forum's heart to be able to solve this if possible roll

No electrons were harmed in the creation of this post.
However, many were excited and some may have enjoyed the experience.

4 (edited by Simmy 2005-12-24 03:09)

I don't know if anyone's solve this problem but check this out. Input the string

"Hmmm.... it sure

into the search box on this page  http://square.cjb.cc/punBB/

It searches blazingly fast and also highlight searches too.   big_smile.  I don't know what kind of an engine Google uses.

PM, I mean email, me if you like the source code.

Simmy: Yes, but that requires Google to have indexed all the pages of the forum.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."