Re: Poll: What browser do you use?

I don't like Opera that much. The fact that the GUI, by default, looks like it was designed by a ten year-old doesn't help. I know, I know, you can disable all that bloat, but still. To top things off, it's not free.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Eureka. Somebody else who doesn't like Opera.

IE6 and Netscape 7

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

IE6 and nothing else because i hate FF bugs and Opera incompatibilities.

Sakis is my name, ssb just a nick.

ssb: But you like IE bugs and incompabilities or what?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Stats talk ...

In 26h January 2004 these were my stats ...

Total 1 428 (100 %) (- 28,4 %)
MsIE 6.x 1 043 (73,0 %) (- 32,4 %)
MsIE 5.x 310 (21,7 %) (- 21,7 %)
------  Netscape 6.x 31 (2,2 %) (+ 47,6 %)
------  Safari 10 (0,7 %) (+ 100 %)
Netscape 4.x 10 (0,7 %) (+ 66,7 %)
------  Opera 8 (0,6 %) (+ 60 %)
Autre navigateur 7 (0,5 %) (+ 600 %)
------  Netscape 7.x 5 (0,4 %) (- 37,5 %)
Netscape 3.x 3 (0,2 %) (- 25 %)
MsIE 4.x

Now, the 26th August ...

Total 2 099 (100 %) (- 4,5 %)
MsIE 6.x 1 629 (77,6 %) (- 5,3 %)
MsIE 5.x 248 (11,8 %) (- 9,8 %)
------ Mozilla 140 (6,7 %) (+ 5,3 %)
------ Netscape 7.x 28 (1,3 %) (+ 75 %)
------  Safari 22 (1,0 %) (+ 15,8 %)
------  Opera 20 (1,0 %) (- 16,7 %)
Netscape 4.x 5 (0,2 %) (+ 150 %)
Netscape 3.x 4 (0,2 %) (+ 100 %)
------  Netscape 6.x 2 (0,1 %) (+ 100 %)
MsIE 4.x 1 (0,0 %) (- 80 %)

Even if I have more visitors ... Firefox, Mozilla and Opera are UP !!!

And if a lot of webmasters put a link to download alternative browsers, I think the tendance will grow up.

Only incompatible things done by bad coders ... smile

The really good news from those stats is the rapid demise of IE5. There is a theory that those few die hards who are still using NS4 are all website designers testing for NS4 compatability.

Well old netscapes also is on a corporate level.
Programs that doesn't mess with the system, will be kept until it really isn't supported any more. At my univ I think it's NS4 that still lies in the web folder in Solaris. Luckily they have installed a new mozilla, so that one can choose that instead, but still, that old NS4 lies in the menu and on the system, and a few still use it, against better knowing. I'm guessing that they still have it there just because it doesn't mess 'with the system'.
So, abit of "don't mess with something that works" wink

Easy to make compatible NS4 site :

realize a site Tableless (anyway NS is so stupid it's not able to ready HTML !!! so xhtml ...), use the function @import url (in CSS) : all new browser read it, but NS 4 not : if the site is good well coded, under NS4, it will degrade well (but it will not very pretty : but STOP TO THINK backward compatibility with very bad browsers : when I began, my sites were more compatible HTML 4.01 in NS3 than NS4 ... NS4 was the great error of the history of browsers)

Paul wrote:

Firefox 0.93 for the same reasons.
IE6 because I keep forgetting that I have Firefox installed.

so true lol

haha, i never forget that i have firefox installed. if i do accendentley click on IE i notice the speed differences idmeditley, not to mention the pop ups

i kno, i kant spel

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

38 (edited by hcgtv 2004-08-27 23:54)

IE is hidden away, in order for me to click it, it has to be a conscious effort. Did this to protect the innocent :)

My domain stats for August:
MS Internet Explorer 35001 65.1 %
FireFox 9412 17.5 %
Mozilla 3497 6.5 %
Unknown 1567 2.9 %
Opera 1532 2.8 %
Safari 1484 2.7 %
Netscape 663 1.2 %
Konqueror 248 0.4 %
Firebird 199 0.3 %
Galeon 32 0 %

Second month in a row at 65%, used to hover at 80%.

I personally use Firefox (the latest version).
I gave up with IE, since it's not maintained since the last millenium !

Here are my little stats :

konqueror 1
lynx 3
msie 2746
Unknown 777
opera 74
netscape 1389

Not bad !

I don't like Opera either.  Way too much fluff. 

As far as bugs for Firefox as mentioned earlier.... really there are very few and this thing is still in pre-release.... so how can we complain.

IE 6 is destructive, dangerous, and irritating.

I left off using Outlook for email long ago when I found out that Microsoft made a deal with email advertisers to remove the feature that allowed a person to turn off html email.  I couldn't believe they would ever do such a thing.... but they did!

I have been using Mozilla for my email ever since... and love it.  Eventually I will switch over to Thunderbird... just waiting for it to cook a little longer.

Love that graph!  Long Live Firefox!  Death to IE and M$! :x

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

hehe, i clicked on IE today and my computer crashed....

Indocron

Gary13579 wrote:

hehe, i clicked on IE today and my computer crashed....

That's WinXP Sp2 security protecting you from the outside world :)

lmao, im still using 98se, but it couldnt handle the browser loading so it crashed.

Indocron

Gary13579 wrote:

haha, i never forget that i have firefox installed. if i do accendentley click on IE i notice the speed differences idmeditley, not to mention the pop ups

IE starts faster than my firefox

Connorhd wrote:
Gary13579 wrote:

lol ... that contradicts what he just said big_smile

perhaps the mozilla crew can make something embed itself in the memory on boot, so it will be as fast as IE to load big_smile

sure as hell doesnt for me. like i said, my computer crashed when i started it. i really need XP, but i just cant stand it......

Indocron

Frank H wrote:

perhaps the mozilla crew can make something embed itself in the memory on boot, so it will be as fast as IE to load :D

I've never understood the IE loads faster argument. I load Firefox in the morning when my system finishes booting, it's up in seconds, let's say 5. It stays up all day, never crashes.

So I'm going to run IE cause it only takes let's say 3 seconds to start. Yeah, that's a valid argument to run a browser that has security holes the size of Texas. Maybe I'll start leaving my front door wide open when I go to bed, since it takes too long to open in the morning :)

Frank H wrote:
Connorhd wrote:
Gary13579 wrote:

lol ... that contradicts what he just said big_smile

perhaps the mozilla crew can make something embed itself in the memory on boot, so it will be as fast as IE to load big_smile

i know its a contradiction thats why i posted it..

and i really don't want more crap booting with my PC

49 (edited by ssb 2004-08-30 09:27)

Rickard wrote:

ssb: But you like IE bugs and incompabilities or what?

Rickard, i don't like bugs and compatibility issues in general. Never said that IE has no such problem, but in my experience latest IE builds have far less issues than Opera and Firefox IF user knows hot to configure security options right.

Opera cannot render right many web pages and crashes every so. A no-go for me.
Firefox is buggy and unstable, and much slower than both IE and Opera.

I really don't like IE and all its quirks (especially ActiveX) but it works smile
As of IE security holes, can you imagine what would happened if Opera or FF was used by 90% of internet users ? For now, nobody interests to break FF/Op security because of their low spread across net.
It's just my opinion though smile

Sakis is my name, ssb just a nick.

The only pages I have any problems at all with, are pages made specifically for IE (instead of using HTML standard items, they use IE specific ones), or pages with badly written javascripts, that FF don't execute ...

IE was for me much more instable, I very rarely have problems with FF

But ... everyone have their own taste, so I really don't care as long as people at least try to make stuff that works on more than one browser big_smile