1 (edited by ameenullah 2004-08-26 07:01)

Topic: Poll: Which programming/Scripting language you are in to?

As we know we count for OS and browsers we use, I just got an idea to know how many of us using PHP and how familiar other programming languages are to us..
we may know so many languages...but try to put only you know well.

I am in to PHP, C, C++, Javascript

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

Re: Poll: Which programming/Scripting language you are in to?

im only realy in to php, id say i know the basics but there are lots of more stuff i could learn.

but php is theo only programin language i know.

i am work with Delphi (Pascal) good in building Comonents,
I am new in PHP and i like it ,i am working on it in my home.

but there is no any language in the world good as my dream. All languages are old syntax same way to thinking in it, in 2004 we must found a new and more power, more easy and multi platform.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Well PHP and C# atm (learning csharp, I'm doing a 3d format converter, that has both little and bigendian, and .NET framework only have one of them, lots of values to flip roll )
but have used C/C++, Java, Javascript, Basic, l-script and Assembler, and know them pretty well

I'm seeing a clear pattern in style, and most languages have things in common, so, IMHO with a 'dummie' book and a function reference one can do alot.

Frank H wrote:

I'm seeing a clear pattern in style, and most languages have things in common, so, IMHO with a 'dummie' book and a function reference one can do alot.

Which is horrible for the industy.  We've had clients "walk away" because their kid (who's like 14) knows php and made a calander (actually he downloaded a calander), but it just goes to show.  The language and the system are becoming so n00bie friendly that its dummifing the industy.

I did 8 interviews last week trying to find a junior programmer in php.  Many exist, but most are just script kiddies.  They know where to find help, and they are masters of the ol' copy+paste.

Well my point was when you go beyond that, I'm not talking about cut and pasting(that's just script kiddies). Coding stuff from the ground up without using other peoples work require you to think.

And then you will start to see similarities, you know how to build up a program or script, when to use switches or for, when functions is useful, how to solve problems, how the program flow must be etc.

I wonder if whining about some 14yo 'stealing' clients isn't more dummifing for the industry. (if you truly do some advanced stuff, a 14yo scriptkiddie wouldn't be able to steal clients)

(and I must say, that I don't feel things like visual c# is so much more n00bie friendly than CPP that I started to program on, 8-9 years ago. Things have evolved, in a good way IMHO (Or, I actually started programming stuff in qbasic on an 8086...waay back))

bundus wrote:

I did 8 interviews last week trying to find a junior programmer in php.  Many exist, but most are just script kiddies.  They know where to find help, and they are masters of the ol' copy+paste.

Just out of interest since I am currently looking for work myself (in Sweden that is). Where is this? What kind of salary are we talking about?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Frank H wrote:

(Or, I actually started programming stuff in qbasic on an 8086...waay back))

I started coding on PC's in Basic on an 8088.

Things have evolved since then, in a good way I believe. We have open source software that affords many to learn from others. No matter how good you are, you can learn a thing or two from someone else's code.

bundus wrote:
Frank H wrote:

Which is horrible for the industy.  We've had clients "walk away" because their kid (who's like 14) knows php and made a calander (actually he downloaded a calander), but it just goes to show.  The language and the system are becoming so n00bie friendly that its dummifing the industy.

Hey, I resemble that remark.  Just kidding.  First, I'm not 14.  Second, although I use others' scripts I do make a point to read the manual (PHP, Perl) and learn what I can about what I'm doing, and I try to figure it out first on my own before asking for help.  So some of us script kiddie types deserve a little credit (even if just a little).

I've been told that if one is trying to get employment as a programmer, he will do better having C# on the resume than PHP.  PHP isn't a sought after language by employers.  Employers want people who know C# and .NET.

ameenullah, I like your Waving Kitty.  I grabbed it for my cat collection.  Thanks.

D9r wrote:

I've been told that if one is trying to get employment as a programmer, he will do better having C# on the resume than PHP.  PHP isn't a sought after language by employers.  Employers want people who know C# and .NET.

That differs from country to country I would say. The US is, for obvious reasons, very "Microsoft savvy" and that tends to rub off on the industry. Europe in general is more open towards the alternatives so to speak.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

D9r wrote:

Employers want people who know C# and .NET.

Employers are managers out to cover their a**es, if you know what I mean.

It's a safe bet on their part to go with a Billion Dollar company, just like it was safe to go with IBM back in the day.

c++ (a bit, not too much) and alot of php/mysql. ive learned a few others, but havent liked them as much as php/mysql.

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

"C# and .NET."  was kill Delphi, (for me Delphi is dead now) sad
i started with turbo pascal in PC 8086 and basic  i cant go with microsoft.

>Employers want people who know C# and .NET.

I hate .NET

I know PHP and Visual Basic. Used to use Turbo Pascal back in the day. I've also done some classic .asp coding.

My first language? Kyan Pascal on an Atari (1984 or so) Aside from Atari Basic that is.

Employers vary what they want. My former employer used Visual Basic predominately. Visual C++ for server stuff, VB for visuals.

Me? I prefer PHP, but I still use VB for a lot of text parsing. Mostly because I'm used to it. Just like my husband used Turbo Pascal for so many years. smile

16 (edited by ameenullah 2004-08-27 06:04)

So happy to share somany things, we should be proud to say that we are programmers, not just "script kiddies". Its not that we should not copy or use someone's code. The smart way to do the work is copy paste. but it should be done in a proper way. We should not start inventing the wheel, rather we can give leverage to it.

There may be lot of script kiddies, we are not to compare them with us. Just we have to work smart an overtake them. To be loyal we should not steal the code simply.. should give credits to those who really worked on it.

Edited:
If we are working for someone, we should think what they need, not what we are. Once you get hold on that place, you can induce your ideas an skills.

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

ameenullah wrote:

So happy to share somany things, we should be proud to say that we are programmers, not just "script kiddies". Its not that we should not copy or use someone's code. The smart way to do the work is copy paste. but it should be done in a proper way. We should not start inventing the wheel, rather we can give leverage to it.

Yep, and that requires one to fully understand what the stuff one copy and paste do, if not the person is in deep(troubled?) waters (i.e. a "script kiddie" smile)...

Actually, when one think of it ... most, if not almost everyone, has learned to code by other people, their code, and their mistakes ... no matter if you take courses, read a book or look into someones code, it's still learning from another person how that person have done stuff smile

(heh, I don't even use the popular(?) PEAR stuff ... just because I haven't looked into it what exactly it do with everything (and really don't have the patience to do so) ... therefore I'm not that eager to use it ... I rather make my own functions to handle databases wink)

18 (edited by zaher 2004-08-27 12:35)

Story

My friend (delphi programmer) want to integrate a Accounting program owned by another company written in C++  to his program writen in Delphi, it easy when use same database and same SDK of its,  but the Captain of the (Accounting program) refuse that, becuse not accept a worthless program (becuase written by Delphi) to connect to his fabulous program written in C++,  that make me think is that Languages generate good program or the programmer who is make that.

Here in my country we say "the Good mare (horse) is from the good knight (rider)"

(now my "My friend" use my accounting program becuase it is in Delphi and i have plugin system)

PHP