Re: The new website

Good job to the creators of punBB, this is an excellent forum package and I can see that in the future it will only get better. I actually accidently stumbled apon this forum a long while ago, was in Yahoo chat for no apparent reason and someone posted up the link. Normally I don't click a link in Yahoo, but I felt compelled to do so this time, and I'm glad I did.

Congratulations for making a wonderful forum package, it deffinately beats phpBB. Can't wait for v1.2 to be released for download (or has it been released while I'm posting this?;) )

Just one thing though, am I to assume you all like "The Matrix"? I mean the matrix lines I've noticed are:
"Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself."
and
"It's called PunBB. It's the only way to fly." (This one is in the random thing on the home page)

P.S. The Matrix is one of my favorite movies. No those aren't the exact Matrix lines but they're pretty much the same. wink

Again, good work on this board software. smile

Re: The new website

Yes, we all love The Matrix, hence why its quoted everywhere.

The forum your posting on right now is 1.2, but it hasnt really been released yet.

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

53

Re: The new website

Release PunBB 1.2 now or, or, or... I will go to sleep big_smile

54

Re: The new website

bohwaz wrote:

Release PunBB 1.2 now or, or, or... I will go to sleep big_smile

yeah i want it now. but im going to go to bed and i will install it in morning big_smile

Re: The new website

I love the new site, its great!

i have to comment tho... a feature that should be setup for the front page of news posting.

we i myself and others run a website we often have to publish news at a later date, but are not always around to post that news, meaning.... we have to write it ahead of time and have a script make it apear when its time.  many times we have info thats under an NDA agreement, and that agreement is usually up before im awake, but my reivews are done the day before the time is up, so i have it timed to show up at that time.

if punBB could make an administer or forum moderator function (not for users cause that could cause major problems) to schedual a thread to be shown at a certain time and date.

obviously this is something i dont expect soon, but its really something to think about.

Re: The new website

mindlessoath: What you want is a full-fledged CMS. I really only wrote the simple news plugin because I needed it. I can't say I intend on adding lots of functionality to it. It does exactly what I need and what I think will be enough for most people. However, writing plugins is easy so don't count out the possibility of someone else, or yourself, writing the plugin.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: The new website

Rickard: I love it -- the new look website and the forums as well (1.2).  Way to gooo!

Suggestion maybe - with the front page "comments" links - perhaps add a count to show how many replies were posted?  e.g.  comments (5)

mindlessoath: I use a similar news script on my site (www.shuttertalk.com), and it's slightly tedious, but I can't be bothered installing a full CMS when most of the functionality is already in punbb.  However, I do wish that I could change the dates of posts sometimes... smile

Digital photography news, reviews, discussions and more!
http://www.shuttertalk.com

The online bible for all
http://www.publicbible.com

Re: The new website

Awesome work Rickard (and others who may have conributed)....congrats smile

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

59

Re: The new website

Any more news about when punbb 1.2 will be released, since i have just started a site and saw this news with a update that is gonna be released soon. So i thought it was no idea to open up a forum before the release smile

Knowledge is power!

60

Re: The new website

When will this "plugin" be available? I think I requested something like that when 1.1.3 or something came out. I hope its soon, that would make intergration a lot simpler...

Do, or do not.

61

Re: The new website

What plug-in?
Anyway as i've read about the news plug-in also about the forums is something that i really would like when 1.2 is released. So hope he reveals how to do it, he doesn't need to show the whole code but at least show us how. Because it would be a big plus! smile

Knowledge is power!

62 (edited by mindlessoath 2004-12-31 09:42)

Re: The new website

Rickard wrote:

mindlessoath: What you want is a full-fledged CMS. I really only wrote the simple news plugin because I needed it. I can't say I intend on adding lots of functionality to it. It does exactly what I need and what I think will be enough for most people. However, writing plugins is easy so don't count out the possibility of someone else, or yourself, writing the plugin.

well im not wanting a full CMS, nore do i belive delayed dates on forum posts would be considered a CMS only function, its just an advanced administer function.  i give an example of that being front page news, but can also be usefull with forum only posts.

if you say it can be created in a plugin thats great, i hope someone creates that, but i would also like to see a future version of punBB consider that option.....

i know the front news page is all static so if i wanted to write a script to display a forum post any date and time (from the front page) i can, but the point is that forum post is still their and viewable, and thats why i want the function incorperated into the forums themselfs, NOT only for that reason but for forum administration too.

im not saying you have to, just take it into consideration, its basically an if statement when it comes down to it??? isnt it? (i dont code myself anymore(i never coded in php either tongue) so thats why i am asking).

i wont argue this i was just requesting, and hope it gets considered. no harm in that.

the last request would be to add an admin function to change the EMAILS sent out to new registered users. i remember searching all over to find the text that was suppose to be sent to registered people, and i never found it. cause in it i would have added a message to have users CHANGE THEIR PASSWORD once they login using the temp password.  i had this problem with many people not bothering to do this and it got crazy for a while.

mabe these are suggestions that should be in annother topic, im sorry.

Re: The new website

you can change he emails in the language folders

Re: The new website

is this like Tomorrow Never Comes?
or
The Day after tomorrow?

anymore apt film titles? smile

(sorry Rikard, not having a go here at all, just trying to pass the time.... smile)

I'll get me coat..

65

Re: The new website

It's nearly New Year here, so I guess it'll come out next year. smile

66

Re: The new website

if it takes another day or a few more weeks - fine.
we have waited so long, and 1.2 will be so great, a few more weeks is fine!

i hope rickard takes ppl's eagerness as compliments only, and not as stressful disturbance wink

we're rooting for you, rickard!

New Friendly web-shop! • SO happy with PunBB! • Now punBB 1.4.x on ALL forums (won't tell how many or their addresses to avoid spam-regs)

Re: The new website

mi wrote:

i hope rickard takes ppl's eagerness as compliments only, and not as stressful disturbance wink

Fully agree.

68

Re: The new website

Kudos Rickard and Paul!  Good Job doods smile

Re: The new website

As some of you know, I just won't be able to get it out tonight. I'm sorry. Trust me when I say there is very little work left though. Expect it next year smile <-- That sounds a lot worse than it really is.

Remind me to never, ever answer any question regarding when a PunBB release will be made. From now on, I'm gonna go all game developer on you and answer "when it's done" to all such questions smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

70

Re: The new website

Rickard wrote:

As some of you know, I just won't be able to get it out tonight. I'm sorry. Trust me when I say there is very little work left though. Expect it next year smile

Damn, another year, that's it, I'm not waiting another day smile

Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

71

Re: The new website

hcgtv wrote:

Damn, another year, that's it, I'm not waiting another day smile

i am smile
i really want it

72

Re: The new website

Hate to be the devils advocate, but wasen't this supposed to be released by the end od summer 04?

Do, or do not.

Re: The new website

supposed?

it wasn't ready then.

Re: The new website

cuteseal wrote:

Suggestion maybe - with the front page "comments" links - perhaps add a count to show how many replies were posted?  e.g.  comments (5)

Other have suggested it, but of what rickard says, it cant be done. Of what I hear, it doesnt get the news from the database, but from a cache file. Im not possitive, but if he does release it, im sure it will be possible to get the number of comments.

Look through this topic to see rickards explaination.

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Re: The new website

Rickard wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

One suggestion would be to display the number of replies at the forum for said news topic, like 'comments (7)'

That won't be possible with the plugin. The output of the plugin is static. I.e. the output doesn't change when someone posts a reply.

from the front page of this thread.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more