51

Re: PunBB 1.2

I'm also looking forward to that news plugin. smile

Re: PunBB 1.2

deusiah wrote:

Please say you have plans for a system that begins with P and ends with rivate Messaging wink

Could someone decode that for me? I have no idea what he's talking about wink

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: PunBB 1.2

Public Mathematical Derivate Messaging?  ... just a guess big_smile

54 (edited by buzzkill 2005-01-10 16:18)

Re: PunBB 1.2

Rickard you have been looking at to much code and have forgotten your native language.  Maybe he should have written his request in PHP? wink Just be sure if there is any (X)HTML Markup to have Paul give his blessing first lol

Personally I don't see why everyone is so hot for a private messaging system.  To me thats one of the things that makes a BB over bloated.  Maybe people will get the idea that this is supposed to be a simple message board if you rename it KissBB wink.  Polls/Surveys would be on my list of must have before a PM system.  Its not that I disagree with having a PM system for message boards, its just that when I was looking for a simple message baord, that was one of the features I was not looking for.  IMO, if you are looking for fancy bells and whistles, use one of the other well known and written message board apps. If you want simple, use PunBB.  If someone absolutly has to have a PM system in PunBB, then they will have to request it from the community.  I think with the advent of 1.2 focus should remain on the Major issues out there. Security, and the Overall Presentation Layer (huge improvement in 1.2).  Your on the right path.  smile

55

Re: PunBB 1.2

Downloaded 1.2 the other night and spend my entire evening on modifing the CSS to get just what I wanted. PunBB is like a good movie - you can't get too much of it!

Just keep update, Rickard, and bring us those looovely lines of code! The 1.2-release really surprised me. I was afraid that some of my own modification would have to be rewritten to suit the 1.2-style, but it turned out that all the mods I've been doing was already included as standard. Saves me lots of work. smile

The philosophy of PunBB is just what I want. Thanks a bunch!

Nani?

Re: PunBB 1.2

Rickard you have been looking at to much code and have forgotten your native language.

although his native language is Swedish tongue

Re: PunBB 1.2

Connorhd wrote:

although his native language is Swedish tongue

yeah that too wink

58 (edited by deusiah 2005-01-10 19:28)

Re: PunBB 1.2

<?php
    while (!$pm_system_exists) {
        ask_rickard(&$result, 'Are there any plans for this in the near future?');
        if ($result) $pm_system_exists == TRUE; // Yay!!
    }
?>

Any better? lol

On a serious note however.

buzzkill, it's just a case of each to their own. I don't care for a poll system for example. Perhaps if the PM system is to be considered as Bloat it could be released in the form of an official mod?

Re: PunBB 1.2

well, I'm also thinking PM is bloated, With the email form, there's really no need for PM's IMHO, as the email is hidden, and it's just as easy to message a user wink

but ... that's my personal opinion wink

Re: PunBB 1.2

deusiah, You are correct it is a matter of opinion. smile  Didn't me to sound bigoted.

Re: PunBB 1.2

Don't worry buzzkill you didn't wink

Frank I understand what you are saying about using the email form instead but at the end of the day I don't think it makes up for the usefulness of having a centralised means of private communication on your site away from the every day issues that are associated with emails.

I depend on the PM system on one of my sites. Everyone has each others email address available via form email yet we don't use them. A PM system is a great way to communicate. Sending emails to each other are OK but your message appears alongside many other emails. So rather than jumble up my Email with questions and requests about my site (which are plentyfull and would take over my email box lol) I much perfer PM'ing.

62

Re: PunBB 1.2

I hope, we don't start a flame war here.

I accept, that spam IS a problem and makes using email harder than easier. (it wasn't mentioned, but it's one of the reasons I switched my mailinglists to subscriber-post-only and set up the forum.)

But for email vs. PM: I like punbb for not having it. My forum is there as a support forum, not as a forum to help people do private chat. They shall bloat their local disks with that.

About email boxes filling up with specific "site"-related stuff: Most modern mailsystems allow sorting one or the other way. And most good email services allow registering a bunch of emailadresses (that can end up in dfifferent folders, if you happen to find the right config entry).

Re: PunBB 1.2

i use PM's because our site is a community site, but we want it to be very fast, like punbb is.
we also have a dev team working with forums, currently using phpBB, and looking to transfer to something faster IE punBB, however I CANNOT DO THAT WITHOUT private messages tongue lol

but im not inclined to ask the developer of this to include them into his package, however 3RD PARTY addon is just what im looking for.  i need the converter for phpBB to punBB (including a private message and poll mod addon (and support for converting those aswell!!!!!)).

this would be great, fast with some bloat, but i guess i have to sacrafise that, because as developers for a major modification/game we need to communicate.

check it out if you guys are interested, its a HL2 modifcation and its a tactical shooter, based on past tactical games much like rainbow six. www.totalretribution.com i was testing out 1.5 and even tho i can convert it, i want the major updates of 1.2 like security fixes and "faster"ness to it tongue lol (not to mention the 3rd party addons i need for it).

Re: PunBB 1.2

Elrond don't worry, this wont be turned into a flame war however I suggest we leave the for and against's for a PM system alone.

There really is no point presenting your opinion to me I am afraid. I am in need of a PM system and that's not for discussion here. I simply asked if there would be one.

Everyone will have a different opinion on this. Yours and mine are not right or wrong.

Personally I don't see a PM system as bloat but as I mentioned earlier this can be combated by making it optional. I always find when opinions differ, choice is a good thing wink

Anyway, let's put an end to the PM system for and against debate that's going on please. It's rather off-topic and not what I brought up the question for.

65

Re: PunBB 1.2

a mail cannot be consulted everywhere you go (in a cybercafe for example, if you have a POP mail) but with PM system, you can create fast messages for members.

If ALL forums have in native mode PM, it's not a gadget : but a real utility for MEMBERS.

Re: PunBB 1.2

hotmail can fetch from pop, and so I guess many other free webmails can wink

Re: PunBB 1.2

http://www.mail2web.com/
This too smile

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

68

Re: PunBB 1.2

You have not understood ... when people are "online", pm is the easiest way to read quickly messages ... without checking emails.

And ... pm is great to not give your email : and a lot of people do this.

Re: PunBB 1.2

Rod wrote:

You have not understood ... when people are "online", pm is the easiest way to read quickly messages ... without checking emails.

IM systems are faster tongue


Rod wrote:

And ... pm is great to not give your email : and a lot of people do this.

The wonderful feature of PunBB: you can let people email you without them knowing your email (the form email)

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

Re: PunBB 1.2

Smartys wrote:

IM systems are faster tongue

Rightly so, and how many times have you used MSN to leave a message from someone who is offline lol.

Smartys wrote:

The wonderful feature of PunBB: you can let people email you without them knowing your email (the form email)

phpBB also has the same wonderfull feature. Call it over looked if you want but I have never been contacted by it once in my four years of running a community based site that has 37,000+ members. That must say something about PM's right?

Re: PunBB 1.2

Rightly so, and how many times have you used MSN to leave a message from someone who is offline lol.

One of the reasons I use ICQ instead of MSN, the possibility to send to offline people wink

Re: PunBB 1.2

deusiah wrote:

phpBB also has the same wonderfull feature. Call it over looked if you want but I have never been contacted by it once in my four years of running a community based site that has 37,000+ members. That must say something about PM's right?

thats because PMs are more obvious than emails... although emails could be as good or better

Re: PunBB 1.2

I vote PMs 'no'!

Re: PunBB 1.2

to late we already voted polls no tongue

Re: PunBB 1.2

LMAO!
i think it comes down to personal preferance definatly. also it may also depend on the type of board you run and the reason it's there. ie: if it's a board that needs the polling, for example a board that alot of the daily topics are votes that decide something like contests. on the other hand the same can go for a pm system. i personally would rather have a pm system since the mail server on my host is very unreliable at times.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more