Re: Protecting the forum from auto signups

you could make something that checks to see if there have been more than x signups in y minutes and depending how popular your forum is alter the values to allow legit registrations but block mass registrations

27 (edited by Frank H 2005-01-18 16:27)

just set a limit on new registrations / 24 hours wink

Edit: oh, missed that there were 2 pages ... *$£@# quickpost big_smile

I think I remember that VB or phpBB does something like that with posts.  Preventing a person from posting more than one post in a given timeframe which had an adjustable setting in the admin.  I am sure that it checks the active valid account of the user. Usually when mass signups occur, its a new email and user account each time. I am not sure how you could put a "limiter" in there. I have a friend who did all the code for a very large community site that got hit by DOS around its launch time.  They dont use a character recognition method on the signup page.  I am going to see if he made changes to how accounts are activated on his site.  I also know his site uses all of his own custom PHP as well as some C+ to help speed page load times.  Its a very graphically site and when it lauched suffered from slow page load times, even with a broadband connection. 

If anyone cares to check it out, go here

rickard you need to add my feature request...
the one that if you have 1 (or maybe 2) posts that will go on a new page by themselves just put them on the end of the last page so the topic can move more smoothly

buzzkill wrote:

I think I remember that VB or phpBB does something like that with posts.here

so does punbb (default 60 seconds) i get hit with it on almost every post i make here (i know i'm a spammer tongue) but thats why you set the limit to a x users within y minutes so that it can be ajusted depending on how popular your site is

Connorhd wrote:

rickard you need to add my feature request...
the one that if you have 1 (or maybe 2) posts that will go on a new page by themselves just put them on the end of the last page so the topic can move more smoothly

I just can't see how it helps. You will be just as likely to miss that the discussion has continued on a new page if that new page contains three posts or one post.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

yeh maybe, i'm going to have to work out how to do it myself now though sad

The paginate function will have to be fixed as well. It's not as simple as it sounds.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

i know i had a quick look before, but i can still try tongue

Any mod for bot register ?
Punbb 1.2.10 for me and all days bot register

36 (edited by Tobi 2005-12-08 16:20)

There is a mod that adds image verification, that should help.
Search for it, must be in the modification forum

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Tobi wrote:

There is a mod that adds image verification, that should help.
Search for it, must be in the modification forum

thx
i think this one could help me
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6785