Re: Google AdSense

How often would you suggest the clicking of ads? Once or twice per session?

I can't encourage you to click the ads more than you would normally click ads. Click them if you find them interesting. Remember, someone has to pay for the clicks smile

One thing I would like your help with though, is reporting to me if/when you encounter ads that link to e.g. phpBB hosting, vBulletin hosting or any other non-PunBB related bulletin board ad. I have nothing against phpBB or vBulletin (heck, I even based some of PunBB's code on phpBB scripts), but it just doesn't feel right to advertise the "competition" here on PunBB.org. Just paste the URL in an e-mail to me and I'll add it to the AdSense filters.

Edit: You don't have to report the ads that just appeared on this page when I posted a message containing both phpBB and vBulletin smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

lol everyone reads that message goes to see what adds are there and sure enough vBulletin etc are there.. you got to love keyword searching smile

Why are google so tight with people not disclosing how much the adds are geting them? I think it would be quite intresting seeing how many people do actually click through..

Eddie

Well, it started out alright, but these last few days, the amount of clicks has been very low sad

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

it did the same thing on my site

Connorhd wrote:

yeh and it varies alot between $0.02 and about $2.00 per click for me

I have gotten $5 per click before, but they suspended my account for 'invalid clicks' and I didnt feel like fighting with them over it. Im all for it, as long as it stays the text version.

Thought you might find it interesting to check out http://uv.bidtool.overture.com/d/search/tools/bidtool/ to get an idea of how much Google ads pay.

CodeDuck wrote:

Thought you might find it interesting to check out http://uv.bidtool.overture.com/d/search/tools/bidtool/ to get an idea of how much Google ads pay.

Nice, made it into my bookmarks, thanks.

CodeDuck wrote:

I looked it up earlier tonight after you mentioned it at work. Asbestos related stuff might not pay $100, but $16.

Mesothelioma pay $40+

Interesting. Finally got around to putting this into my forums. I added the line in main.tpl and then made the _google.php file. I put this in the root forum directory. That is where it is supposed to go right because it's not showing the ads.

Then for some reason, which I know is causing it not to show ads on the regular pages, when I go to the page directly nothing comes up. Any ideas?

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer

Mako: A link would help.

38 (edited by Mako 2005-03-01 17:55)

Sorry about that. It didn't even cross my mind to produce a link.

http://forums.medievalbattles.com/_google.php

And then if you go, for example, to a thread on the forums and view the source it shows  the "<pun_include _google.php>" in there. Weird that it doesn't show the page instead.

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer

Mako wrote:

Interesting. Finally got around to putting this into my forums. I added the line in main.tpl and then made the _google.php file. I put this in the root forum directory. That is where it is supposed to go right because it's not showing the ads.

Then for some reason, which I know is causing it not to show ads on the regular pages, when I go to the page directly nothing comes up. Any ideas?

also make sure you don't have any anti-ad programs running. i had admuncher running and none of the google ads here on punbb.org would show up until i disabled it. just a thought.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

I don't run any anti-ad programs.

Mako wrote:

And then if you go, for example, to a thread on the forums and view the source it shows  the "<pun_include _google.php>" in there. Weird that it doesn't show the page instead.

According to this: http://punbb.org/docs/faq.html#faq3_4

You would need to do <pun_include "_google.php">

42 (edited by Mako 2005-03-01 18:48)

Alright well that fixed that problem. The ad has displayed on one thread page so far. The rest is just a blank spacer below the footer. Weird. Never had any problems like this since having signed up to AdSense last year.

Never mind. It's showing on almost every page now. Guess I just needed to give it some time.

Thanks for the help.

FYI, here is a great tool for determining what ads will show on which pages:
http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/adsense-sandbox/

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

google do a good tool for IE which lets you see all the adverts for the current page and their URLs

I've heard a lot of stories about people having their accts. suspended, RIGHT BEFORE they had a check coming?

sounds like their standard MO to me... sad

I put the following code right in my main.tpl file and Google is showing its default colors not the colours defined for the particular styles:

<?php

switch ($pun_user['style'])
{
    case 'bulgaricus':
        $bg_color = 'FFFFFF';
        $link_color = 'A32B16';
        $text_color = 'D4D4D4';
        break;

case 'pomaranczowy':
        $bg_color = '2A2A2A';
        $link_color = 'F6B620';
        $text_color = 'D4D4D4';
        break;

case 'zielony':
        $bg_color = '2A2A2A';
        $link_color = '60C860';
        $text_color = 'D4D4D4';
        break;

case 'oliwkowy':
        $bg_color = 'FFFFFF';
        $link_color = '822100';
        $text_color = '333333';
        break;

case 'czarny':
        $bg_color = '000000';
        $link_color = 'FA8508';
        $text_color = '333333';
        break;

}

?>
<div style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "pub-9760172491316511";
google_ad_width = 728;
google_ad_height = 90;
google_ad_format = "728x90_as";
google_ad_type = "text_image";
google_ad_channel ="";
google_color_border = "<?php echo $bg_color ?>";
google_color_bg = "<?php echo $bg_color ?>";
google_color_link = "<?php echo $link_color ?>";
google_color_url = "<?php echo $link_color ?>";
google_color_text = "<?php echo $text_color ?>";
//--></script>
<script type="text/javascript"
  src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>
</div>

think you need to use php differently in the tpl files

http://punbb.org/docs/faq.html#faq3_4

Thank you! I corrected the mistake and now it works smile

Rickard wrote:

Well, it started out alright, but these last few days, the amount of clicks has been very low :(

That may be because 90% of the ads shown are in swedish. :)

With my very little understanding of this beautiful language I gathered that one reappearing ad invites me to learn taxi driving in Sweden.
And while this sounds like a dream to me I think that going 3000 kms for the lessons would kill my budget. :)

Nothing you can do about the language selection?

And, b.t.w., I think it's nice that you ask everybody if they'd be annoyed by ads but then again it's you who spends 1000's of hours into this project so I wouldn't be that scrupulous ;)

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

I have done like rickard but i can scroll in the adbox, anyone know how to fix it? Rickard seems to have fixed it by choosing 96px high instead of 90, it works but a white stripe is below the ad then and on my forum the background is not white hmm

I probably registered before you, sucker!