Re: PunBB 1.2.1

One line was added and another was fixed, but all the language packs at punbb.org are already updated. The changes are:

http://dev.punbb.org/changeset/25

and

http://dev.punbb.org/changeset/4

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

27

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

Why not use/make "official" mods for things like PM?
What i mean is that Rickard or any other peron willing could make mods for
some basic things like PM, and follow the version numbering/releases of punBB.
That way users could be sure to get updated mods instantly at every release.

/ Christoffer

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

bubach wrote:

Why not use/make "official" mods for things like PM?
What i mean is that Rickard or any other peron willing could make mods for
some basic things like PM, and follow the version numbering/releases of punBB.
That way users could be sure to get updated mods instantly at every release.

/ Christoffer

It's not as easy as it sounds, the larger mods require quite abit of programming, so that would mean that one must delay the release of PunBB because the 'official' mods needs to be rewritten, if they're going to be released at the same time.

What's wrong with the current situation?

29

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

I get your point... sad

Frank wrote:

What's wrong with the current situation?

I have no idea of how long 1.2 has been public, but the most important mods like
PM, attachment, and poll doesn't seem to be supporting it yet, and I don't
feel like re-writting them myself.. sad
I guess that i can't blame the guys that does a great job on them (on valuable sparetime),
but I need those mods asap.. wink

But is there even any info on which mods are currently being worked on? Thats the
downside of how it is now, i  don't even now if someone is working on it, or if i have
to do it myself..

/ Christoffer

30 (edited by Frank H 2005-02-03 20:54)

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

bubach wrote:

But is there even any info on which mods are currently being worked on? Thats the
downside of how it is now, i  don't even now if someone is working on it, or if i have
to do it myself..

/ Christoffer

I have edited the first post in the attachment mod release, that I have started to rewrite it. I cannot tell how much longer it will take until the new attachment mod is ready (and as a 'bonus' I just got sick with some common cold, rendering thinking to a standstill... sigh) ... As of now about 1600 lines of code has been written, but it's getting near to releasing it (I'll do everything I can during the weekend if I get better) ... the conversion from the old attachment mod will be the big thing needed before release. But I have tried to iron out bugs from it, so hopefully there won't be much patching once released wink ...

I don't think you should waste time rewriting the attachment mod though, as groups etc has made the old version really out of date. And this new mod is rewritten from scratch, and has a much better interface, so just bear with me and that mod will hopefully be released soon smile

About the other mods, check if the author have said anything about it (search, and look at the release threads), and if they haven't send them a mail or something, and you'll probably get to know what the current status is.

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

If you installed a fresh copy of PunBB 1.2.1 and the version number in admin/index still reads 1.2, you can download the "Version Changer" plugin I just added to the downloads page. It's a very simple plugin. It just lets you enter a version number and then it updates the database accordingly.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

i'm now running PunBB 9.0 Optimized


yeah!

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

LMAO tongue

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

34

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

I'm very sad !!!!

Why replacing scrolling div method by scaling method !!!


Images loose their apparence, it pixellises ....

What a pity.

35

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

Rod wrote:

I'm very sad !!!!

Why replacing scrolling div method by scaling method !!!


Images loose their apparence, it pixellises ....

What a pity.

Because it caused improper nesting of tags and didn't work.  A really elegant way of handling images which will keep everybody happy is number 2 on my "could be better" list.

36

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

Paul wrote:
Rod wrote:

I'm very sad !!!!

Why replacing scrolling div method by scaling method !!!


Images loose their apparence, it pixellises ....

What a pity.

Because it caused improper nesting of tags and didn't work.  A really elegant way of handling images which will keep everybody happy is number 2 on my "could be better" list.

Small images like smilies get huge in IE6 :\

37

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

Frank H wrote:

And this new mod is rewritten from scratch, and has a much better interface, so just bear with me and that mod will hopefully be released soon smile

Ok, and thanks for letting me know.

/ Christoffer

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

Widell wrote:

Small images like smilies get huge in IE6 :\

Huh?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

39

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

Widell wrote:

Small images like smilies get huge in IE6 :\

I will look at it because that shouldn't happen but the image scaling in IE depends on javascript. Do you have javascript disabled?

40

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

Rod wrote:

I'm very sad !!!!

Why replacing scrolling div method by scaling method !!!


Images loose their apparence, it pixellises ....

What a pity.

I don't understand also. Scrolling was a smooth way to get this. Now every big image will become grainy. And every IE without javascript distroys my site design. :-(

Is there a way to change a 1.2.1 installation back to scrolling? Just asking. :-)

41

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

Update: IE with js destroys site design also.

42

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

The problem was that scrolling wouldn't work if you made the image a link by wrapping it in <url> code tags. Basically the markup fell apart because of the way the tags were nested. I'm not going to tell anybody how to change it back because the resulting markup breaks validation.

I'm thinking about a better solution for this. The only thing I can come up with is making the whole message section of viewtopic (everything above the signature) scroll if there is a wide image. A bit ugly but it wouldn't cause any problems and would be very functional.

I am going to do some tinkering with this tonight. If I can come up with a simple css change I will post it.

EDIT:

Don't worry, having just thought about it some more I will be able to come up with an easy solution for you.

43

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

dato wrote:

Update: IE with js destroys site design also.

Does your site design use max-width at all?

44 (edited by dato 2005-02-04 13:57)

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

Paul wrote:

Does your site design use max-width at all?

It's an old-fashioned table design with a fixed width. (see links in signature) The scaling works fine, but the design is  bloating of as if the image is still be big. But this is probably not your problem, paul. :-)

45

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

Do you have any link so i can see what you are talking about?
I am using IE6 right now and can't find anything wrong.

46

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

new ie update: seems to work correctly now. only had problems with images in topics still written in 1.2 - all topics written with 1.2.1 are ok, but resizing only works in ie after reload. no caching problem! anyone else with the same problem?

47

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

In fact ... the better solution is not javascript !!! but PHP !

In admin, create a section about images, and admin can allow max SIZE of the pic (example 450 px) and when a pic is called but > 450px, php (with GD ? ImageMagick (better)) does on the fly the pic in the good look ... because this "minmax.js" "destroys" the pics, really.

48

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

Paul wrote:
Widell wrote:

Small images like smilies get huge in IE6 :\

I will look at it because that shouldn't happen but the image scaling in IE depends on javascript. Do you have javascript disabled?

I dont know what it was but it seams to be normal now..

49

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

Rod wrote:

In fact ... the better solution is not javascript !!! but PHP !

In admin, create a section about images, and admin can allow max SIZE of the pic (example 450 px) and when a pic is called but > 450px, php (with GD ? ImageMagick (better)) does on the fly the pic in the good look ... because this "minmax.js" "destroys" the pics, really.

And if somebody posts a lot of pics on slow servers the whole thing comes to a grinding halt. We tried something similar a long while ago. The only way to to do really sophisticated image handling using php seems to be to store the images on the same server as the forum. And what about the people who don't have GD or ImageMagick.

The choices actually come down to this

1. Scale images which requires javascript for IE and destroys resolution of image

2. Scroll images but in that case you would have to ban people from using images as links. It also means small images can't be displayed inline i.e. next to each other.

3. Crop images at right hand edge which means you loose part of the image.

4. Scroll whole postmsg div which is not pretty but has no negative effects and is easy.

50

Re: PunBB 1.2.1

I agree with Paul, php would be a bad solution. I see much more problems on the horizont.