1 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2005-02-07 12:29)

Topic: the best cms/portal...

in your opinion. so far out of the ones i have tried out Limbo (www.limbo-cms.com) XOOPS (www.xoops.org) and e107 (www.e107.org) are tied for first with PHPWebsite (opensourcecms demo) coming in a close second.

i ask this because i would like to see some differant CMSs and YOUR opinions of them. i look forward to what you all have to say.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Re: the best cms/portal...

I've only worked with Mambo and Typo3 and out of those two, Typo3 is definately my favorite. It takes a few weeks to get into, but once you're there, there's nothing you can't do.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I mostly have used pMachine (more of a blog, really), Mambo, and Drupal. I like Drupal best. A little struggle to understand it, but easy to use thereafter.

The best CMS/Portal is a matter of opinion, just like the best forum software.

It comes down to trying them out in real world situations and finding the one that feels just right. Demoing one at OSCMS and using it for a couple of weeks is quite different. On top of finding one that you like, you also have to like the support community behind it.

Like Rickard said, Typo3 is the most robust but is it right for everyone?

5 (edited by D9r 2005-02-07 16:46)

Typo3 is better than Mambo? 
Drupal is better than Mambo? 
I thought Mambo was the undisputed king of CMS portals.  I haven't used any of them but from reading around it sounded like Mambo was the one to use (as well as Nucleus, of course wink).  Guess I'll have to add Typo3 and Drupal to my list.

P.S.
Bert, I read your reviews for punbb and nucleus at OSCMS last night.  You state a good case, and it's a good read.  I'm planning to try out nucleus and singapore on account of your suggestions.

D9r wrote:

Bert, I read your reviews for punbb and nucleus at OSCMS last night.  You state a good case, and it's a good read.  I'm planning to try out nucleus and singapore on account of your suggestions.

Dean, from looking at how your site is laid out, I provide you a link to a Nucleus site that has a similar layout: http://beefcake.nl/

Thanks for taking the time to read my reviews.

I don't use CMSs, but BlogCMS seems to be popular - AND it uses Pun!

Ok.... thought a thread like this might be started already with my friends here at PunBB.

Question.

I have tried numerous content management systems.  These seem to take the spotlight.

Typo3
Mambo
Drupal
WordPress (perhaps not a cms.. but seems to be good enough)

Any thoughts are appreciated on these or other good CMS you might like.  Just want the best... don't we all?  smile

Thanks in advance for any advice on this!

Todd

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

Sort of fond of  Geeklog myself. I have an install mywebthing but haven't messed with it for some time. Pretty sweet.

I went with it after messing with Drupal (which I still like), after messing with phpWebSite, after messing with the Nukes.

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

Yeah... I dont really like any of the Nuke stuff.  I like clean, simple, and secure.  I took a look at Geeklog... have never installed it though.

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

I like CMSMadeSimple.  The goal of the developer seems very similar to Rickard... keep it simple.   I got so tired of all the bells and whistles in so many of the other CMS's that I just wanted something that my newbie user's could access and do WYSIWYG editing of web pages.
http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

Never like any of the Nuke stuff, even though I like the ease of integration with the Nuke stuff.
Always hated Mambo. tongue
Always hated any Mambo derivitives.

There used to be this really nice, simple little one - but I guess they stopped development on it.

Another interesting project is db Master's Content Manager, now becoming Community Manager.

Its funny how many CMS projects are out there.  Even with all of them... it doesn't seem like anything stands out as being special.  Kinda frustrating.  I want a CMS that stands out from the crowd like Pun stands out from the other forum offerings. 

Even on my very first impression of Pun... I just knew it was the forum for me.  Clean, simple, standard compliant, so straightforward my grandma could figure out how to start her own community.  All this... not to mention a great group of technology gurus with a drive and zeal for better software solutions.

Todd wrote:

Its funny how many CMS projects are out there.  Even with all of them... it doesn't seem like anything stands out as being special.  Kinda frustrating.  I want a CMS that stands out from the crowd like Pun stands out from the other forum offerings. 

Even on my very first impression of Pun... I just knew it was the forum for me.  Clean, simple, standard compliant, so straightforward my grandma could figure out how to start her own community.  All this... not to mention a great group of technology gurus with a drive and zeal for better software solutions.

That's exactly what I'm looking for... a CMS with the same goals, quality, and simplicity of PunBB.  I think CMSMadeSimple is the closest thing, but it is still pretty young and constantly changing.

Rob Ludlow 

Rickard,

A question for you (or anyone else)...

I also recently decided to go with Typo3 for a CMS.  I love it, but the available forum extensions are less than desirable.  How could I include PunBB on a page?  I don't care about having a common front end user(name) for both Typo3 and PunBB...I'm the only one that will be updating the CMS, I just want to include your great forum package.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

FYI, I'm all about keeping things REALLY simple for my users, and keeping "managing content" as simple as possible.  I don't want any bells, whistles, etc. just the necessary bits (sound familiar.... like PunBB).  I thought I had found this in CMSmadesimple, but it's missing some key elements and still isn't easy enough for my users.    I just discovered something that a friends uses on her sites and I'm testing it out... so far I'm impressed.   All it is, is a WYSIWYG editor for you clients to edit pages... that's it.  Here it is:  www.editwrx.com   I haven't purchased a license yet, but I'm testing it out with some of my users.   If they like it as much as I think they will then I'm good to go.

Rob Ludlow 

it doesn't work in firefox hmm

Yup, unfortunately it doesn't work in anything other than IE, BUT, all of the newbie user's I'd be setting it up for are using IE.   Most people using Firefox know how to use other editors and more complex CMS's.   I like simple and efficient.   The cool thing is it writes static pages which makes the server load WAY less than a CMS which is always querying the DB.

Rob Ludlow 

canux wrote:

Rickard,

I also recently decided to go with Typo3 for a CMS.  I love it, but the available forum extensions are less than desirable.  How could I include PunBB on a page?  I don't care about having a common front end user(name) for both Typo3 and PunBB...I'm the only one that will be updating the CMS, I just want to include your great forum package.

Thanks.

I believe that would be rather difficult. I've considered looking into it, but I just don't have the time.

/Rickard

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Textpattern is good. If you want something heavier, Drupal.

LDU is the best. smile

http://www.neocrome.net/

Rickard wrote:
canux wrote:

Rickard,

Thanks.

I believe that would be rather difficult. I've considered looking into it, but I just don't have the time.

/Rickard

OK...the easiest way I could find is installing an extension called iFrame.

http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/ … e/details/

Not the most ideal solution, but it seems to work with PunBB just fine.

D9r wrote:

Typo3 is better than Mambo? 
Drupal is better than Mambo? 
I thought Mambo was the undisputed king of CMS portals.

No, Mambo is just the newest thing to come. Remember, Nuke used to be top of the line...then came something else...then something else..then something else...

...whatever is new, is always the king. If you were to judge by how many sites there are that use the software, Nuke would probably win. I run across more nuke sites than normal sites sometimes.

Personally, I like Xoops. It's been my favorite piece of website software for a couple years now, and I doubt I'll ever find anything I like better. The community puts out some great software modules for it, the themes are easy to make and manipulate, and it's a right out of the box solution for many users. It currently comes packaged with some great addons (forum, links manager, contact form, downloads manager, and more). I've tried Mambo, and it was harder for me to work with than everyone claimed it would be. Nuke on the other hand is a living nightmare. I hate it. I hope it dies.

I think Mambo will be the best wink
or php-fusion? (php-fusion.co.uk)

Typo is very heavy... I don't like it