1 (edited by Frank H 2005-02-10 18:33)

Topic: Timeout troubles

Is it only me with timeout troubles here at punbb.org?
All other sites I go to seems to work fine, but now and then I get timeouts for punbb (and sometimes it's blistering fast) ... now I have tried for about 13-15 minutes to get to post new topic ...

now, 25 minutes later, everything is blistering fast...

Re: Timeout troubles

Same here, couldn't access the forums for the last hour.

3 (edited by marvincooper 2005-02-10 15:55)

hmmmm.......  I get this on my PunBB forum too, but I thought it was just the server that was slow. Static pages load up just fine though, so what else could it be?

i don't think its the PunBB software, but i have also had some problems on this site today, sometimes the forum index loads then i can't get to any of the forums it just times out

I've also had trouble getting onto textdrive.com today - connected possibly?

Chanh (opensourcecms.com) was having trouble downloading through wget in the last couple days, coincidence... hmmm?

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

http://www.textdrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2120

that explains this time, but I have it a bit now and then ... I can bump this if I notice anything ...

Same here. Forum is off and on all day!

I'm not hosted on textdrive, so that downtime wasn't the cause of my problems. My punbb forum is very unreliable, but I have not tried any other forum on the same host. All I know is that static pages always respond, wheras punbb seems to be about 10% unavailable. I'm not saying it's a punbb problem, but I wonder what it could be? Can you have a slow MySQL database on an otherwise speedy host? I have asked my host about this and they just said there are no server performance issues.

Any ideas anyone?

marvincooper: Does the script fail or time out or what?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

12 (edited by marvincooper 2005-02-14 20:59)

The index page just doesn't load. This can go on for maybe 10 minutes or a couple of hours, then it all magically comes back to life and works fine.

I've never experienced it with the PunBB forum so I guess it must be my host - I'm just not sure what to tell them. My static pages always load, it's only the punBB forum that sometimes fails, hence my question about having a slow database on an otherwise speedy host.

Well, whatever the cause, I've just signed up for Textdrive so hopefully all will be sorted...

13 (edited by Frank H 2005-02-21 21:19)

Got this when trying to mark the posts as read

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to update user last visit data.

just now ... just someone fiddling, or something not ok?

14 (edited by Smartys 2005-02-22 16:39)

I got a "Could not fetch post data" or something like that when trying to open a thread just now. A refresh made it go away, but it's still odd...

Edit: Just got this

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to connect to MySQL server. MySQL reported: Lost connection to MySQL server during query.

I've been unable to reach punbb.org the last 1hour and 20 minutes (trouble started at 18:40, now at 20:00 I could reach it again)

Yeah, same with me (I didn't time it)
Textdrive was down then as well

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to connect to MySQL server. MySQL reported: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61).

Just got this

I think the problem is related to wordpress.org which sits on the same server. It's being more or less DDoS:ed with referrer spam. I'm sure it will settle down soon.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Well, I found the cause of the outage smile
http://forum.textdrive.com/viewtopic.php?id=2235

i don't think thats it, i get the error all the time

The outage (where we couldn't access the site), not the errors

just got this

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to connect to MySQL server. MySQL reported: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61).

I got the same message also today.

Seems like Wordpress is getting inundated by comment spam robots today.

Not just today. I was getting it yesterday and Sunday.

Sunday is when Rickard's WordPress blog went up, so that's consistent with the time frame you mentioned, Paul. But it seems unlikely that comment spam bots alone would cause this, and if so, perhaps some changes on the server are in order. I've got a WordPress installation running with no server slowdowns, and that's on an older version (1.2) with fewer built-in anti-spam measures present than 1.5 has.

That said, I installed one anti-spam plug-in a while back, and I think that is probably helping a great deal: WP-HashCash. Realize that this only combats comment spam. For tips on fighting trackback spam, this section of the WordPress Codex should be useful.