Topic: Links open a new browser window

I hope this thread has not been made before...

Anyway, all links in posts in the new version will always open in the current browser window. That's not always good, because you will kind of get out of the forum. It has been a little problem when using PunBB for me, because I'm used to just close the window with the link after I've seen it.
Is it possible to make all links users post in threads, open up in a new browser window? How?

2 (edited by Gary13579 2005-02-17 16:03)

Re: Links open a new browser window

This would be awesome if someone could do it.
It was taken out because it isnt XHTML compatible.

You could make a javascript script that would open it in a new window, and I think I might do that, when I get home

For right now just do Shift + Click wink

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

It was taken out because it isnt XHTML compatible.

no it wasn't it was taken out because it shouldn't be up to the website to choose what happens with links

the target attribute is not xhtml compliant.  so, yes, that was one reason.

the reason for not including a javascript wrapper for the links is because it should be up to the user.

Actually it is really both reasons. The target attribute is not XHTML compliant and the reason it is not compliant is that browser behaviour is not something that is the business of markup or css; thats what javascript is for. There is another reason and that is there are accessability issues with opening links in new windows.  I think you will find that during the next couple of years opening links in new windows will become something of a rarity.

well of course since punbb has done it all other sites will follow wink

Within a year or so, the target attribute will be the next <marquee> or <blink> smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Actually the reason I say that target is going to become extinct is mainly because of accessibility problems. Sometime soon the laws on accessibility are going to begin to bite.

The trouble with all this is that just when they finally get xhtml and css right and all browsers can handle it the whole thing will have become obsolete. Welcome to the wonderful world of xml/xsl/xforms

Wasnt it an option in the user settings to choose weather to open a link in a new window or not?

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Gary13579 wrote:

Wasnt it an option in the user settings to choose weather to open a link in a new window or not?

Yes, there was such an option.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I'm not ok ... I read a post ... someone post a link to comment on my forum ...
1. he clicks, le site looses ... focus on the site
2. I HAVE TO remember the contain of the site to answer on my forum ...

with new window, I can answer on my post and READ when I want the contain of the second window.

For me, it's not a problem of accessibility ... it's a problem for people who wants to read but to have the forum to discuss of a link, for example. And someone who leaves your site for another is something "loosed" ... and for me to be loosed is not very synonym of accessibility ...

Being a Firefox tabbed browsing kinda guy, I always have my thumb on ther modifier to do it in a new tab anyway. Just took some getting used to. I think the new window will always be present, imagine checking links from a google search result without it..

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

You're missing the point, Rod.

You already have exactly what you want, even without having links open up in new windows by default. Right-click on the link and choose "Open in new window," or simpler yet, hold down a modifier key when clicking on the link (command key on Mac OS X -- don't know whether it's ALT or CTRL on Windows). Your "problem" is solved.

The concern about losing (not "loosing") viewers as they browse external links is, in my opinion, completely misguided. If they don't click the Back button to return to you, then you probably weren't offering much of interest in the first place.

This is a problem of accessibility. More importantly, it's a question of choice. If I don't want a new browser to open, that should be my choice. Period. It sounds like you don't want people to have that choice.

But don't take my word for it. Number 2 on the Top Ten New Mistakes of Web Design? Surprise, surprise: Opening New Browser Windows.

Opening up new browser windows is like a vacuum cleaner sales person who starts a visit by emptying an ash tray on the customer's carpet. Don't pollute my screen with any more windows, thanks (particularly since current operating systems have miserable window management). If I want a new window, I will open it myself!

Perhaps a point in favour of Rod is that it's his forum on his site, so it's his choice as to whether links should open in a new window or not.

How about something similar to this http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/newwindow.htm ?  As a webmaster, you have the choice as to what settings to have - as a surfer, you have a visible indication as to what goes on with links.

Oh....and the Top Ten Mistakes of Web Design linky...mmm...sorry to be blunt, but it's a bit of a crappy looking site really...not the best of advertisments big_smile

never bolt your door with a boiled carrot

if your so unhappy then make a mod for it, unless you come up with a new amazing reason for having them repeating the same things over and over just isn't gonna help

Connorhd, if your comments are directed at me, then can I point out that;

a) I'm not unhappy..and to prove it-----> big_smile

b) I thought this was a forum, pardon me if I was mistaken............(dramatic pause)

no it wasn't directed at you it was at everyone in general, i'm not trying to be offensive i'm just saying that repeating the same arguements doesn't help anyone (this is probably the third big thread on this topic)

Alexander wrote:

Perhaps a point in favour of Rod is that it's his forum on his site, so it's his choice as to whether links should open in a new window or not.

So if Rod figures out how to implement a "feature" that bypasses past your pop-up blocker and spawns 86 windows full of epilepsy-inducing Flash advertisements, you're cool with that, right? Or how about a feature that grabs all your personal data from your hard drive? After all... It's his forum on his site, right?

Just because it's your site doesn't mean you shouldn't be a responsible 'Net citizen.

(If you don't like the analogy... tough. That's why it's called hyperbole.)

Oh....and the Top Ten Mistakes of Web Design linky...mmm...sorry to be blunt, but it's a bit of a crappy looking site really...not the best of advertisments

Ugh. So because you don't care for the design, the content contained within shouldn't be considered valid? Moreover, I don't think that page looks crappy -- it's just not flashy or stylish. It's not designed to be.

If you want more ammunition, no problem. There's also a bunch of related links at the end.

19 (edited by Alexander 2005-02-18 19:30)

Connorhd... cool

Justin...I 'll see your Ugh and raise you an Um?  Are we still talking about a link opening up a new window?  That's all?  Not cars fuelled by water, world peace or female adult movie stars not having that annoying tattoo above their bum? (so I've been told)

Please define "responsible 'Net citizen" for me, if you could be so kind.

As to the top 10 link...I said it looked crappy....I didn't say that the content shouldn't be considered valid.  My apologies if you didn't understand that...I just thought it rather funny that the page didn't look very well designed

Well.....my 4th post in the forum...and everything is just dandy roll

Alexander wrote:

Justin...I 'll see your Ugh and raise you an Um?  Are we still talking about a link opening up a new window?

Yeah, last time I checked.

That's all?  Not cars fuelled by water, world peace or female adult movie stars not having that annoying tattoo above their bum? (so I've been told)

Uhh, sure dude. Whatever you say. tongue

Please define "responsible 'Net citizen" for me, if you could be so kind.

Sure, although this really should be obvious by now. In the context of what we're talking about, it means site developers should simply let users have the choice of whether to spawn a new window or not. Taking away that choice is, in the opinion of many influential folks (including the W3C), not behavior becoming of a responsible 'Net citizen.

As to the top 10 link...I said it looked crappy....I didn't say that the content shouldn't be considered valid.  My apologies if you didn't understand that...I just thought it rather funny that the page didn't look very well designed

No worries. It sounded a lot like:

Site looks crappy -> author doesn't know much about design -> ergo, the suggestions aren't valid

I understand your perspective, but note that we're not talking about subjective aesthetics here. We're talking about site functionality. smile

Maybe we should add an 11th mistake of web design
"If you're making out like some kind of design guru and your site looks crappy you ain't gonna get much street cred".

22 (edited by Rod 2005-02-18 23:48)

smile

In fact I have posted on this forum (simply use the search engine) how to create with javascript and     rel=external external links without "target=_blank"

One thing : I'm on the web since 1998 ... I know how to use MAJ + click link to open a new window. But THE NEW GENERATION of the net is not like me. And all the W3C says is not the truth. W3C said when IE4 created "IFRAME" >> NO NO NO IT'S NOT VERY GOOD !!! BEURK !! ... This SAME W3C said "NO NO INNERHTML IS VERY BAD !!!" ... today these "TWO BAD" things are validated ... funny, isn't it ?

It's not the W3C which gives the way : but the user.

Iframes ARE bad tongue

Rod: While using Javascript is preferable than target=_blank, it seems you are missing the point. The consensus of many veteran web developers is that users should not have new windows foisted upon them without their consent. Clearly you disagree, as is your perogative.

The W3C is not infallible, but as Connorhd pointed out, your example stinks. The IFRAME should be taken out back and put out of its misery. And just because the W3C decided to cave and allow it to validate does not mean developers should actually use it. So to answer your question: No, it's not funny.

You're probably right about most people not knowing how to cmd-click a link to open it in a new window. So what? The link opens in the same window, as it should. If they want to look at two windows simultaneously, they can take a few moments to learn how. I think it's silly to suggest we should baby this subset of users by spawning new windows; why should everyone else have to suffer?

It's not the W3C which gives the way : but the user.

This is indeed about the user. And, thankfully, the W3C is one of the few organizations that actually puts users first, which is more than I can say for many self-serving site developers.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. And on that note... have a great weekend! tongue

I'm glad to see that more and more people understand why those target="" are wrong and useless smile

Do a search on this forum or on google for other talks about it.