1 (edited by buzzkill 2005-02-19 02:12)

Topic: FIELDSET in IE/WIN vs. Gecko browsers

I have noticed that when viewing a fieldset in IE/WIN 6+ the fieldsets by default have nice round corners.  In Gecko browsers they are displayed as striaght 90° angles.  I wanted FireFox to display the round corners as well.  So I applied the following rule to the DIV>FIELDSET definition.

-moz-border-radius: 5px;

It seems to do the trick, and looks identical the the default FIELDSET that IE renders.  Opera will still display the striaght corners.

I know that this is not a supported CSS2 property, but I have read that something similar will be part of CSS3

Re: FIELDSET in IE/WIN vs. Gecko browsers

i like the sharp corners since they sort of fit with the theme

Its not that I like or dislike the sharp vs. rounded. It was something that I thought would help make it look consitant across as least 2 of the three major browsers.  Since Paul seems to like IE's "rather nice default" wink

Trouble is those moz specific properties don't validate. If you want it consistent then simply apply any border setting to IE and that will give IE sharp corners.

Paul wrote:

Trouble is those moz specific properties don't validate. If you want it consistent then simply apply any border setting to IE and that will give IE sharp corners.

I figured that it would not validate.  I like how IE has the rounded corners. it kind of breaks up the "boxiness"  of the page.  I hope that a similar feature will be added to the next CSS rev. For the time being,  If I want it to look the same and validate, then I will apply a border setting to the FIELDSET.  The way I used to moz specific property will only effect moz browsers. IE ignores the > selector so it remains at its default.  The gecko default is just plain ugly.

Oh well its just one more thing I have to work around.  roll