1 (edited by CodeXP 2005-02-26 02:41)

Topic: Style feedback wanted :)

Hi everyone!

I'm currently starting playing around with PunBB again, and at the moment I'm working on making a style smile The forum itself is just up for testing purposes, so there's not really any posts to speak of.. But if I can get the features I need implemented, perhaps I'll convert the main site. I always wanted to do so considering how ridiculous hard phpBB is to validate with the template I'm using (I've given up long ago) + the speed that PunBB offers is *very* nice!

Anyway, what I wanted to ask for was some feedback on the style (work in progress). Have only worked on it for a few hours, so I'm sure there's a lot of improvements I could add.

[Click and let me know what you think?]

Edit: Guests are allowed to post, so feel free to play around smile

Re: Style feedback wanted :)

I think its excellent. A good example of how a clever use of graphics can add a touch of class without slowing things down.

Maybe you can give me some feedback. Anything you found a pain to style etc.

3 (edited by CodeXP 2005-02-26 03:04)

Paul wrote:

I think its excellent. A good example of how a clever use of graphics can add a touch of class without slowing things down.

Thanks! The images used totals at about ~4kb (don't think I could have compressed them more), so it shouldn't slow things down smile Any suggestions on improvements or perhaps any bugs you noticed?

Edit: Oops, didn't notice your question right away.

Well, I didn't find anything in particular that was hard to change. The only thing I perhaps could have wanted was some form of variables in the *.tpl files (img directory etc.) but perhaps there already is?

I can't see any bugs and I can't really see how you could improve it. Somehow it just looks right.

really nice really stylish as it is

It can't be any better. I really like it.

that is AWSOME, im in love with it :-D great work

Fantastic job!
I'm amazed at how fast it loads.

Could this be possible using only CSS?
I mean, by calling images and such?

Dear god - release that to the public.  I'm no css novice, but there's no way I could do something like that by myself.

Incredible and so so clean

Jameslicious wrote:

Dear god - release that to the public.

I second that motion, very nicely done.

If it did come out, I'm sure that someone could work at getting a couple of color sets out...

Proabably based on the original punBB forum themes -but still. I work with what I've got...
wink

Thanks for you comments smile Release it? Sure, no problem. What you need to be aware of though is that there are some minor changes to the *.tpl files, so it would change some of your existing layouts.

erissiva wrote:

Fantastic job!
I'm amazed at how fast it loads.

Could this be possible using only CSS?
I mean, by calling images and such?

Well, I couldn't get it working with *just* CSS, I had to add a couple of tables in the *.tpl files (they are still controlled trough the CSS though). The reason it loads so fast is that it only contains about 4k of images, so it should provide around the same speed as the original styles smile

Now, I'll just add some comments and such to the files so that I can post the style big_smile

13 (edited by CodeXP 2005-02-27 01:08)

Updated 27 feb. '05

Ok, here's the style for those who want it smile

Instructions:
- Backup your '<forum dir>/include/template' directory.
- Unzip the *.zip file into your forum base directory keeping the folder structure.
- That's it smile

[Download]

Updated:
- Variable width now working without messing up the layout (to set width, change the id #shadow in Sleek.css)
- Fixed problem with images now showing if forum was located in a subdirectory.
- More control in the CSS instead of the *.tpl smile

/me downloads and is looking into the possibility of getting a similar effect with just CSS.

Similar - not exact. wink

15 (edited by Freddan 2005-02-26 20:37)

The first user-contributed style for punbb 1.2 YEY!
Maybe post it on punres too. smile

Um, yeah...for some reason, it's not finding any of the images...

Excellent. I think it could be done without tables and using all background images. Though it would almost certainly require adding additional divs to main.tpl instead of the tables.

EDIT:
It can be done certainly with one extra divs and possible with no extra divs though the images would need altering.

A prize of three brownie points goes to the first person to work out how to do it fluid width.

erissiva wrote:

Um, yeah...for some reason, it's not finding any of the images...

Most likely because the forum is install in a subdirectory ('domain.com/forums' instead of 'forum.domain.com'). Just edit the CSS and correct the path smile I simply didn't think of it, but I'll add a fix shortly.

@Paul: Yeah, most likely... I just couldn't get it looking the way I wanted doing it that way. btw, the images specified in the *.tpl aren't really needed. They're just there as spacers to prevent the corners looking bad when the browser windows is below ~770px wide smile

Paul wrote:

Excellent. I think it could be done without tables and using all background images. Though it would almost certainly require adding additional divs to main.tpl instead of the tables.

EDIT:
It can be done certainly with one extra divs and possible with no extra divs though the images would need altering.

A prize of three brownie points goes to the first person to work out how to do it fluid width.

No! I want some brownies!!!
*sigh*

Darn me and my simplicity!
I have taken the whole fixed-width and similar color concept and am in the process of editing to match my front page.

So, basically - There's no way to do something similar to this with CSS?

erissiva wrote:
Paul wrote:

EDIT:

No! I want some brownies!!!
*sigh*

Darn me and my simplicity!
I have taken the whole fixed-width and similar color concept and am in the process of editing to match my front page.

So, basically - There's no way to do something similar to this with CSS?

No, not really.. The problem is that there's just not enough DIV's in the *.tpl files for something like this to work by just editing the CSS. No matter if you manage to make the drop shadow work with DIV's, you would still have to edit the template files.

Thanks for releasing the style, will give it a try.

Now we need a styles page smile

Again, thanks for the awesome template.
It shows what to look forward to in the world of punBB templating.

*w00tah!*

CodeXP wrote:

Well, I didn't find anything in particular that was hard to change. The only thing I perhaps could have wanted was some form of variables in the *.tpl files (img directory etc.) but perhaps there already is?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but beginning with 1.3, I intend to add a base tag the the header. That way, you can always rely on the fact that e.g. img/ will point to PunBB's image directory. Would that help?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:
CodeXP wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but beginning with 1.3, I intend to add a base tag the the header. That way, you can always rely on the fact that e.g. img/ will point to PunBB's image directory. Would that help?

Hehe, that was kinda what I meant...I just explained it badly smile The basetag will definatly make things a lot easier!

CodeXP: Do you mind if I have a bash at doing a simplified version of this using your graphics?