Topic: Multiple installations / forums on a single domain sharing a database

Hey All,

Can you point me to instructions on the best way to have multiple forums on one domain?

Do most people install all the files in a separate directory and create a separate DB?

What are the pros / cons to doing it the way above and any other options.

Sorry if it's already been discussed, but I did a search and couldn't find specifics about the best way to approach running multiple forums on one site.

Thanks in advance!

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

Re: Multiple installations / forums on a single domain sharing a database

how many is multiple? depending on your situation you can share the files punbb uses and get it to use different config depending on the URL which accessed it

Connorhd, I'm only thinking 2 - 5 forums.   Is there a component in punBB that is setup to run multiple forums from one set of files, or is this more of a hack?   If it is a hack (i.e. lots of tweaking, editing, etc.)  I'll probably just install the forums individually in different folders.   If it is a simple edit during setup or in a config file that was intended during development then I'll do that.

Thanks again!

Rob Ludlow 

You want run 5 different Forums in 5 different directories, and all forums use the data of one DB?
Ist that right?

Then install one Forum with DB, load up your Forums to the dirs with the same config.php. Dont install them.
Now log  with yur account in and change the Base URL in ADMIN-->Options-->E-Mail.

Thats it.

But you can only log in in one, you can't logged in in all forums at the same time.

But why 5 Forums and one DB, in all forums is than the same stuff???

And the Performance, i dont know, I think thats the wrong way. I think its better to use for each forum a own DB.

Sorry for my stupid English, but I'm an old and unteachable man.
Visit My PunBB Forum

Lucky Looser wrote:

You want run 5 different Forums in 5 different directories, and all forums use the data of one DB?
Ist that right?

Then install one Forum with DB, load up your Forums to the dirs with the same config.php. Dont install them.
Now log  with yur account in and change the Base URL in ADMIN-->Options-->E-Mail.

Thats it.

But you can only log in in one, you can't logged in in all forums at the same time.

But why 5 Forums and one DB, in all forums is than the same stuff???

And the Performance, i dont know, I think thats the wrong way. I think its better to use for each forum a own DB.

I would love to know if this works without damaging the performance. But, I think he wants a shared database of users and logins...also, user info.
But, different topics, boards, posts, etc...

Such as if you have two different forums on your website, but don't want them together.

reviewum.com wrote:

Connorhd, I'm only thinking 2 - 5 forums.   Is there a component in punBB that is setup to run multiple forums from one set of files, or is this more of a hack?   If it is a hack (i.e. lots of tweaking, editing, etc.)  I'll probably just install the forums individually in different folders.   If it is a simple edit during setup or in a config file that was intended during development then I'll do that.

Thanks again!

for 2-5 its probably not worth it, although there is a hack (i made it) but its not really releasable, if you want 5 completely separate forums, just install them and make sure you give them different cookie names

Hmmm....

I think it's different to share Users from topics, because one user can write multiple topics in different forums.
But I've really no Plan of DBs. I've only tried my Version yust for fun. *NO COMMENT*
I'm a blody learning Betatester *LOL*

What is the advantage if you share 5 Forums on one DB?

Visit My PunBB Forum

he doesn't want to share forums he wants 5 separate forums i think on one site

But then you only must give the new Forum by installation another Suffix i think.

Visit My PunBB Forum

I'm hosting a few different forums of completely different content /  topics / admistrators.   

So, with only 2 - 5 forums it is best to just install completely separate instances (files and DB) of punbb?

Rob Ludlow 

yeh it makes life easier for you i would think, otherwise you have a modded punbb which makes upgrading and stuff annoying, and its just easy to setup like 5 punbbs, its not however to setup 100 tongue

12 (edited by DuaneJ 2005-03-26 07:55)

Well, I have been trying to set up 2 Installs of punBB, one in my personal site's own domain  (forums.duanejeffers.com) and one using a different folder on the same webserver. They both use the same sql server, but after installing, the new one (in the different folder) takes on properties of my personal forums except for the forums/topics. They both use different configs and different suffixs and it still takes on the properties of the forums.duanejeffers.com. What to do ...

-Duane