Topic: How to merge 2 PunBB forums into one ?

Does anyone has an idea on how merge 2 (or more) forums into one ?

I'm not talking about different install of PunBB, but inside one install, if I have several forums that I would like at some point to merge into one (take all the threads and posts of these forums and put them into only one) how would I do that ?

I haven't seen any merge option, or plugin. My guess is that would be a simple UPDATE sql command, but I prefer an expert opinion on the matter smile .

2 (edited by Dexus 2005-04-23 07:12)

Re: How to merge 2 PunBB forums into one ?

You may write little "function" that will change "forum_id" in 'topics' table.
You may use DB management plugin run sql query like that:

update [prefix]topics set forum_id=3 where forum_id=2

prefix - is prefix of tables, when you were installing punbb database.
but before you have to see viewforum.php?id=N in index.php to find out these ID's to replace one to another.
good luck!

Ok so this is the only place where the data is saved ? Good, thanks.

I just found a script that does this for PHPBB
http://www.typo.nl/misc/merge_phpbb.phps

Would anyone be interested in me trying to write a similar script for PunBB (except perhaps with an interface you can put the info in, rather then having to edit the script)?

does that one query not work then?

It would work, but a script that can do it automatically is better IMO smile

a plugin maybe? 2 dropdown boxes and your done

8 (edited by Jérémie 2005-04-28 18:39)

Maybe... a SQL query is not that hard, especially with things like Eskuel or PhpMyAdmin and a query as simple as that one. It's a little intimidating for some, but it should, because if something goes wrong you need to repair it yourself.

I like a script better, because you'll never need to run the script again anyway smile
A plugin I consider something I would want to use more than once tongue

Well, some forums might do this several times. Myself, I want to test several ideas or themes.. so I open a specific forum. If that work, but the trafic is not enough for a single forum ; or if the theme had a time table now over, I can migrate the content into a parent forum.

It's both for temporary forum, and for testing (as in testing a new idea, not technical test). Yes, I guess for some people a plugin would be useful.

But that's certainly not a core feature needed... an automatic mark thread as read is muuuuuch more important big_smile

Does anyone know if the info is stored anywhere else besides the forum_id in tables?  I'm working on a plugin for it.

Ok, I've got the plugin finished.  I've emailed it to Rickard to put on the download page.

http://www.toastedgamers.com/AP_Merge_Forums.zip

Mmm, so much for that tongue

Download page updated. Thanks sfackler.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."