1 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-01 01:49)

Topic: Viewing with a Pocket PC

Sometimes (like right now smile ) I view PunBB forums with my Pocket PC. However, when I do, there's extra space between header and the body, in the footer, etc., which makes it hard to navigate on a Pocket PC with a 320 x 240 screen. Why is this?

EDIT DONE ON A REAL COMPUTER: I actually handwrote most of this one. smile

Re: Viewing with a Pocket PC

Without a screenshot I wouldn't have a clue. I have no idea about how handhelds render PunBB.

I've been playing with it, I need to test & finish my handheld layout soon.

If you think all the desktop browsers are fun? you ain't seen nuthin' yet! lmao

cheers

4 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-01 20:34)

Here are seven screenshots. (If you're on dialup, they're pretty big. smile )

http://www.scottywz.com/la-la-land/capture.bmp

http://www.scottywz.com/la-la-land/capture2.bmp

http://www.scottywz.com/la-la-land/capture3.bmp
EDIT: The Board Footer text isn't visible on the desktop.

http://www.scottywz.com/la-la-land/capture4.bmp

http://www.scottywz.com/la-la-land/capture5.bmp
EDIT: The text in the weird box isn't visible on the desktop, either.

http://www.scottywz.com/la-la-land/capture6.bmp

http://www.scottywz.com/la-la-land/capture7.bmp

The short answer is the installed browser doesn't understand css properly. The good news is that the bits it doesn't understand, like floats, are actually the bits that are least suitable for a narrow layout anyway. It should be possible to come up with a more basic stylesheet for Pocket PC without changing the markup.

BTW: That funny box on index is actually the post indicator icon. PunBB has some text in the markup for accessability purposes which is rendered invisible by css. Obviously Pocket PC doesn't get the invisibility code. Since accessability isn't such an issue on handhelds it should be possible to render elements invisible by a more orthodox method so they don't get in the way.

Thanks.

Is that an emulator?

How'd you get screenshots? smile

No. That was actually my Pocket PC. I used MagicSS to do the screenshots.

9 (edited by GregK 2005-06-05 22:11)

Thanks scotty,

I hadn't reached the point of thinking about screenshots yet, until I saw you post.
Thats sure gonna come in handy! wink

cheers

Unrelated, I viewed these forums on my cell phone (its browser supports forms), and it skipped the report/delete/edit/quote and subscribe, post reply, and quick post. I wonder why?

were you logged in?

What is this fetish with alternative user agents all about. Is there anything on the web so important that you can't wait until you get home to look at it.

Paul you mean when you see one of those BT internet boxes you don't think, i know i can go check out punbb.org? tongue

Connorhd wrote:

were you logged in?

Yes, I think so.

Paul wrote:

What is this fetish with alternative user agents all about. Is there anything on the web so important that you can't wait until you get home to look at it.

Sometimes, you're away from home and you just need to check up on someting.

Viewing content across multiple devices, especially handhelds, is what made me buy into this whole W3C/Valid claptrap, that early adopters of xhtml/css were spewing everywhere! big_smile

of course, they failed to mention that there is/was no support for media=handheld, media=screen etc.

Now, I'm simply hellbent on getting it to work, just because! lol

Actually it is quite simple to get it to work. All you have to do is come up with a stylesheet which is more like a print stylesheet i.e. no floats and no absolute positioning, just let everything flow down the page and display menus vertically instead of horizontally. The drawback is that viewers would have to choose one stylesheet for viewing on a PC and another one for viewing on a handheld. I think the response headers indicate screen width so you can probably use php to sniff for that and deliver a narrow stylesheet automaticially. If you really wanted to go to town on it then you would have  lighter version of all the pages which would get served to handhelds. In PunBB's case that would be problematic because of the absence of templates.

None of this applies to those lucky enough to have the Opera browser installed on their handheld device.

connor: what BT internet boxes. I live in Wales, we have only just stopped using carrier sheep for cross valley communication.

Hey Paul smile

The PDA stylesheet is the easy part, getting the same markup to display "portal style" in all browsers, is the tricky part!

I got'er goin from 1column to 4column in all browsers back to IE5 now....finally!

P.S. All CSS1 & no positioning wink

Paul wrote:

I wrote a ticketing system for my company and since I'm in the field doing miscellaneous crap, I need constant access to it. This "alternative user agent" is not an alternative for me. It is a necessity.

Despite my somewhat flippant previous repsonse, this is actually a serious subject. I might not think much of the idea of viewing web pages on mobile phones but it is the next big thing. It might also be, as in Greg's case, the thing which really triggers the move to web standards.

I'm tempted to have a go at a mobile stylesheet for PunBB since it should be fairly easy. For example, viewtopic only displays in two columns because there is a float. Take away the float and the user information moves above the post. Take away all of the user information apart from their name, kill avatars/smilies/signatures/ and you have a perfectly good format for a PDA. What a PDA would do with the scrolling boxes I have no idea.

The only fly in the ointment I suppose are data tables, a tableless design is naturally more suited to a narrow format.

Fromt the point of view of implementation. I think the way to do it would be to sniff the user agent size and then, if narrow, serve a special stylesheet instead of the normal stylesheets. I dont think there is any need to give users of PDA's a choice of colour schemes etc provided what they get works.

Paul wrote:

connor: what BT internet boxes. I live in Wales, we have only just stopped using carrier sheep for cross valley communication.

lol they are so awesome, its like vandals dream... theres so many things to smash, anyway yeh i went on punbb.org in one its like 50p for 30min of internet time, unfourtunatly since I live in leeds someone had smashed the mouse and jammed half the keys on the keyboard so i just had to hope the letters i wanted worked lol

I agree on a PHP sniffer of some sort & that fancy colors aren't needed.
Its pretty tricky stuff, you have very limited CSS support & no .js support usually either.

I have Pun partially converted (viewtopic) I haven't converted the index or viewforum tables yet. I have a 2column float figured out to replace the tables, they look great the way they are though.
I have a few more important things to get working first, unrelated to this.

I think I mentioned before, that I have a new CSS site to launch asap.
Someone pack v1.3 in a .zip & I'll launch it today! We can make a handheld/screen TPL for PUN, a community project. I have OrganicCSS.com ready & waiting! wink

Theres a lot of meaning & answers to problems in that site name too. Basically, "Approach elements of design, according to their natural behaviour"

cheers

I just wanted to add on the PHP sniffer:

The number of different user-agents for handhelds is amazing, so....
I'd think the best way to approach this would be to, indentify the handful of desktop (screen) browsers & serve the screen stylesheet to them & serve the handheld stylesheet to all unidentified browsers?

Thats as far as I have worked on it, thought it was worth mentioning though.

cheers

24 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-16 20:14)

GregK wrote:

Someone pack v1.3 in a .zip & I'll launch it today! We can make a handheld/screen TPL for PUN, a community project. I have OrganicCSS.com ready & waiting! wink

There could be unknown vulnerabiltites, but here I zipped it.

Thanx wink

Got it up w/SEF enabled, no topics yet. I'll get a few started asap.
Grabbed a quick style from Spink too, been wanting to use that smile works great!
Now I need to decide on Nucleus or that PunBB Miniportal, I've seen mentioned lately?

Also, anyone know if the RSSitem-like feeds for each forum, topic are integrated in this build? I didn't find anything in Admin?

cheers