Re: PunBB 1.2.6

I just tried to upgrade to 1.2.6 and even though everything seemed to go smoothly (uploaded all the files, ran the upgrade script and got the message that the DB was upgraded correctly) but my forum still says version 1.2.5 ???

I tried to run the upgrade script again and it said not a supported version (which means that it must think I'm at version 1.2.6)?  Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

52 (edited by Jansson 2005-07-17 20:24)

It may be a cache problem. Try removing all files in the cache folder.

EDIT: Or reload the page to make sure its not a local cache problem wink

Jansson, I've force refreshed locally so I know that isn't the problem.  I deleted the cache files, but then I get an error like: Error: Unable to write configuration cache file to cache directory. Please make sure PHP has write access to the directory 'cache'.

Rob Ludlow 

Ok.. so then, what OS are you on? Webserver? And are you sure the webserver have write access to the cache directory?

Server OS is RedHat running Cpanel.  punBB was/is running fine, but the upgrade didn't change the version number, so I'm wondering if all of the upgrade really took place.  There is write access to the cache directory, I only get that error after I delete all the cache files.

Rob Ludlow 

Hey Rickard!

It's great that I can patch now with shell access, otherwise it would be a pain to update.

I don't HAVE a signature, ok?

57 (edited by Goatie 2005-07-20 09:54)

I've got a major bug right now...
I downloaded the "only changed files.zip", uploaded them, took a backup of my database and run the update script. When I now go to the frontpage of my forum it says

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: get_all_new_topics() in /hsphere/local/home/goatie/forums.goatie.dk/index.php on line 42

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Edit: oh.. I've found out it has something to do with a mod... I think I'll just download the whole package and do a fresh install and re-install the different mods I've got.
Don't mind this post for the moment... I'll post a new one if I run into trouble again.

I'm still running version 1.1.5 on a site I publish and am leary to upgrade due to the nightmares I anticipate existing with any upgrade (at least that has been my past experience with otther web based apps).

Any guidelines for doing the upgrade and is it really necessary if all is running ok so far?

TIA,

Cliff

59 (edited by Ludo 2005-07-25 13:12)

bluedigitalmedia wrote:

I'm still running version 1.1.5 on a site I publish and am leary to upgrade due to the nightmares I anticipate existing with any upgrade (at least that has been my past experience with otther web based apps).

Any guidelines for doing the upgrade and is it really necessary if all is running ok so far?

If you have corrected the problem explaned here http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6460 I think you can safely go on using 1.1.5

If you want to upgrade to 1.2.6 and if you have no mod installed, you're likely not to have problems.

You must first upgrade from 1.1.5 to 1.2 http://punbb.org/download/museum/punbb-1.2.zip

Then you'll be able to upgrade from 1.2 to 1.2.6 http://punbb.org/download/punbb-1.2.6.zip

There is really no reason it does not work. To be really careful, I suggest you to make a backup of your database and of your files.

Ludo,

Rickard wrote:

That's odd. Must be a cache problem or something.

Line 860 in functions.php should look like this:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="<?php echo $pun_config['o_redirect_delay'] ?>;URL=<?php echo str_replace(array('<', '>', '"'), array('<', '>', '"'), $destination_url) ?>" />

I'm afraid you forgot to update the hdiff and the patch to reflect these changes.

Very well ! smile

I was on 1.2 ... updated to 1.2.6 in 2 seconds ... all is perfect : I have to reinstall mods, but little thing about a great update smile

Ulph: Damn. You're right. I'll get right on it.

Edit: I've updated the diff's and hdiff's accordingly.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Wait, if I manually apply the changes form changeset 208 (there's only three?) myself, that's in essense updating to 1.2.6?

The reason I ask is because I have a lot of mods that I don't want to reinstall once I replace those files, and not like I even remember where I made what changes. . .

thanks,

-Tim

No, there are lots of other changes as well. Have a look at the "Timeline".

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

is there a way to 'upgrade' my installation without having to redo everything? 'cuz it's a pain in the butt to have to reinstall everything for a .0.1 update.

-Tim

yelowpunk wrote:

is there a way to 'upgrade' my installation without having to redo everything? 'cuz it's a pain in the butt to have to reinstall everything for a .0.1 update.

Just download all the files from your webserver, and download the patch from the PunBB website. It will upgrade all your files to the new version. If you've made modification to files, these mods will be preserved. Unless there is a conflict between an update and something you've modded, in that case a warning will be shown and you have to update that yourself.

I have a havily modded version of PunBB and use this method for upgrading. It basically takes less than 15 minutes.

To use the patch file you need a working version of "patch" on your system. If you have *nix it's already there, if you have Windows look here. Take a look at the patch instruction on the PunBB page on how to patch.

I'm running the site on OS X 10.4 Server. That counts as *nix, right?

I have a few mods installed (polls, PMs, calendar, etc) some of which affect the base installation/db (PMs) some that don't (calendar).

And what's 'patch'?

thanks,

-Tim

68 (edited by 505 2005-08-12 15:06)

Yep, OS X is a *nix system, and probably will have patch. You can simple test it by typing 'patch -v' (display version number) in the command console.

When you make a patch (using a diff program), the new and old file are compared. Only the changes are saved to a patch file. So, a patch file will contain information about which lines of code to change. The program is clever enough to detect certain code changes. E.g., in the original patch file it say line 27 has to be changed from 'echo "test";' to 'echo "This is a test message";' However, since you have also modded the file yourself (added code above line 27) this line is now another line number. But patch will still be able to find the correct line and change it.
If you know a bit about programming and script, take a look at the patch file. Line with a - will be deleted, lines with a + will be added to your scripts.

Instructions to patch PunBB can be found here. The patch file from 1.2.5 to 1.2.6 is here. The patch for other version can be found the the download section.
I suggest you make a backup copy of your script, run patch on that and see what the result is.

Wow, thanks. I'm without a keyboard rightnow (using the on-screen) but will try this very soon. Thanks!

-Tim

70 (edited by badrad 2005-08-14 06:37)

OK, I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but it says

"If your files are located outside the PunBB directory tree, I recommend that you create symbolic links in the include/user/ directory."

How would I go about doing that?

Tobi wrote:

The biggest strength of PunBB in my opinion is that you can add any feature that you like in an hour.
That's the magic of clean code, not the phpBB-help-I-got-lost-featuremania.

Amen. PunBB's code it so clean in never ceases to amaze me...makes doing little customizations take minutes not hours.

Say you are on Linux/BSD/OSX and you have images for your site under /home/mine/images
and your punBB is in /home/mine/pun/

Then you would link the images directory with

ln -s /home/mine/images /home/mine/pun/include/user/images

assumed that your web server configuration supports following symlinks

In windows you can drag/drop links. All very colourful.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a shot when I get time to upgrade PunBB - hopefully sometime soon.