Topic: MS Betas

For those interested in such things, the following beta releases are scheduled for August 3rd

1. IE7
2. Vista (f.k.a. Longhorn)
3. Longhorn Server

We await with eager anticipation to see what new bugs have been incorporated in IE7.

Re: MS Betas

well maybe, microsoft has seen how popular mozilla and opera are and will will be as good as them. but i dout it.

im not sure about Vista, and i dont think anything will beat apache server.

looks like this is how the beta will look http://www.jcxp.net/lh_5203_shots/ kinda looks cool although i think i would like the transparency to be a bit less, some of it is hard to read, and looks like they really did a bad job on tabs in IE

I come from DOS when i used NC (Norton Commander), Will, I am still waiting some features not found from 95..XP
Like as Rename files or copy files without stupid cancel the operation when one file not copied etc...
I dont care about skin or transparency if i cant play with my files as what i need.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

the transparency looks kinda nice, its better than most, because it dont make the whole window transparent....and yea the tabs look good

I'd rather a not pretty browser 100% compliant than a mega beautiful browser which doesn't understand CSS2, MODEL BOX ... it's a choice.

why have the put the menu in the tab on the browser though?

There is a explanation of why menus are located in the tab in the IE Blog.
Oh and those screendumps are not from the Beta 1 branch.

It sure looks good, for windows.. Graphical environments for linux and mac have looked just as good for a long time now. And, can somebody tell me what must-have features Longhorn have?

10 (edited by Tobi 2005-07-26 20:17)

Jansson wrote:

And, can somebody tell me what must-have features Longhorn have?

A rocksolid DRM.

Isn't i a great feeling that it will be asbolutely impossible for you to accidentally watch a movie that might be totally illegal for you to watch, thus preventing you from peeling potatoes in some shithole prison close to the north pole for the rest of your young life?

smile

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Jansson wrote:

And, can somebody tell me what must-have features Longhorn have?

I am not allowed to give you the Microsoft take on "must have features", but I can point you to what others have said, not saying that it is in any way accurate :-)

Tobi wrote:

Isn't i a great feeling that it will be asbolutely impossible for you to accidentally watch a movie that might be totally illegal for you to watch, thus preventing you from peeling potatoes in some shithole prison close to the north pole for the rest of your young life?

I read that some display manufacturers are making DRM monitors that will refuse to display a picture if the proper stream is not sent to them.

This is just getting out of hand, they make horrible movies which cost us $8 and up to watch, force music down our throats with payola and we're supposed to just sit back and let it happen.

They can all kiss my Debian's arse smile

CodeDuck wrote:

There is a explanation of why menus are located in the tab in the IE Blog.
Oh and those screendumps are not from the Beta 1 branch.

Says beta 1 in the install tongue http://www.jcxp.net/lh_5203_shots/shots/inst1.jpg so i guess it is somewhat working towards beta 1

14 (edited by CodeDuck 2005-07-27 11:29)

It is an early beta 2 screenshot, all Beta 1 builds are numbered 51xx and beta 2 builds 52xx.

yikes i'm going to be on holiday when the beta comes out yikes noooooooooooooooooooo lol i'm gonna miss all the excitment

Hmm, making this post from IE7, looks like they sucessfully stole alot of nice features from FF, we have tabs, we have search bar, we have feeds.

Stole? How come that when Microsoft listens to the feedback from users and implements tabbed browsing it is called stealing, but projects like OpenOffice are applauded for looking just like Microsoft Office? The search bar is not a FF invention, you have been able to search in IE for years, just try typing a search phrase into the address bar. It turned out that users didn't understand this double function, so it was split out to separate bar. The feed are new, but as feeds didn't exist 5 years ago I don't think it is that strange that it hasn't been part of IE6.
For those of you that are not MSDN subscribers or in other ways eligible for an IE7 beta, I can add that PunBB renders without problems in IE7.

I'm gonna have to agree with CodeDuck here. That being said, I think the tabs in IE7 look like something that got hit with the ugly stick smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

they only implemented tabbed browsing because they were feeling threatened, not because they were feeling nice, and i didn't say FF invented the search bar, but it looks excatly the same in IE. If they listened to what people were asking for they would have done css support instead of tabs etc

Also imo its different in the case of something like openoffice, they copy the look of office so that people can use it easily since people are used to office, microsoft take ideas from other people because their products are not doing as well as they would like

Jansson wrote:

It sure looks good, for windows.. Graphical environments for linux and mac have looked just as good for a long time now.

I think you mean have looked a million times better and still do. Vista looks awful, it looks like a bad StyleXP theme. I don't understand why they can make a good theme. Look at Clearlook for Gnome. http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre2/19527-2.png
It's so basic but it looks so much better. Let's not even mention OS X and KDE.

Fire Fusion wrote:

I think you mean have looked a million times better and still do.

Yeah, something like that ^^

22 (edited by CodeDuck 2005-07-30 15:38)

Rickard wrote:

I think the tabs in IE7 look like something that got hit with the ugly stick smile

I tend to agree with you, too big and, well, OK they are plain ugly - I'm sure they be prettier in the next beta.

Connorhd wrote:

they only implemented tabbed browsing because they were feeling threatened, not because they were feeling nice, and i didn't say FF invented the search bar, but it looks excatly the same in IE. If they listened to what people were asking for they would have done css support instead of tabs etc

Where is the difference to the end user between doing something because you are "feeling nice" (how many companies does that?) and feeling threatened? In the end users asked for tabs and they got tabs. The users aren't asking for CSS support, the developers are. That said I'm quite sure the lacking CSS support is mostly a matter of how to do full support, without breaking existing pages that are using undocumented features in previous versions. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it is damn hard, and takes some time to do.

Connorhd wrote:

Also imo its different in the case of something like openoffice, they copy the look of office so that people can use it easily since people are used to office, microsoft take ideas from other people because their products are not doing as well as they would like

I don't see the difference, when Sun takes ideas from Microsoft it is OK, but when Microsoft takes ideas from an project partially funded by Sun, IBM and AOL it is wrong? Is that what you are saying?
And it is not ok for Microsoft to improve products they would like to sell?

Fire Fusion wrote:

Vista looks awful, it looks like a bad StyleXP theme.

Remember that beta 1 is a technical beta, Vista won't ship for another year, so there will be changes before it ships.

Things are looking up. Forget tabs and all that cosmetic stuff, this is what really matters.
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/07/29/445242.aspx

Paul, that's good to hear.

That way I don't have to fire up IE ever again to test my sites smile

Wrong: You will still have to test on IE6 for at least another 5 years smile